Havasufreak

what replacement 6.5s would work?

My Mb Quart pvi 216 6.5 componets went out and i was curious what speakers i could replace them with? i honestly was not to happy with these speakers so any brand would work just something that will mesh with the crossovers and tweeters.

what would you guys recommend? really could use the help with what 6.5 speakers to get. price im flexable with and im putting these in a 2001 f150.

thanks!

here are the specs of the kit brand new..

Features:

• 6-1/2" Premium Series 2-Way Component Speakers System
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 140 watts
    • RMS: 70 watts

[*]Polypropylene cone woofer

[*]Rubber surround

[*]1.5" Titanium "Widesphere" tweeters with neodymium magnets

[*]Magnet system with silver lacquered specially designed metal cover for additional cooling and protection

[*]Connection terminals gold-plated allowing for the best possible signal transfer

[*]Premium Performance-crossovers with new and unique FleXX Mount system for limitless mounting possibilities

[*]Three-level tweeter attenuator with rotary switch (0, 1, 3, 5 dB)

[*]Bi-wiring and bi-amping capable

[*]Crossover filter (2900 Hz, 6/12 dB/octave)

[*]4 ohms impedance

[*]1" Voice coil

[*]Top-mount depth: 2-1/2"

There are literally hundreds of options to go with and to just begin rambling off a bunch of brands without knowing what exactly your looking for and what kind of budget you have to work with are all factors that need to be considered.

In general it's not a great idea to replace a speaker on a passive crossover with a different speaker. It would appear you atleast have the crossover frequency and slope for the passives, which help some. But if the crossover network also includes a zobel network or anything extra, then it would hamper the results some. Though I'm not sure what the "6/12db" means for the slope. Not sure if that means 6db for the mid & 12db for the tweeter? Either way 2900hz on a shallow slope isn't a great idea in an automobile.

IMO a better decision would be to purchase an entire new component set.

What is your actual dollar amount budget? Do you have any space constrictions to deal with?

It is both 6.5" drivers that are not working? Are you sure the driver(s) is bad and it isnt anything else?

i was debating a new set. just not sure which ones, but figure i would ask out of curiousity about re using the crossovers and tweeters.

if i did get a new componet set i would "like" to keep it around 150 give or take a little more.

im putting these speakers in the stock location with not a lot of depth. so im a little restricted on which ones to get. guess ill start looking around

Oh and both driver and passenger side speakers are dead

Edited by Havasufreak

As stated above, don't re use your old crossover network for different speakers, recipe for lack lustering sound.

Is 2.5" your max depth, or can you go deeper?

What other speakers have you heard in the past?

Edited by stefanhinote

If sonix sold out of the p660c's since i think i was the last one to buy but i'm stuck in limbo atm so i'm thinking they sold em all and it wasn't updated fast enough so if that's the case then i am looking at the new jbl ms-62c's.

Here's a few vid's i found on youtube of them.

Check the Polk mm's 6.5component set. They require a channel amp.

Please don't base your purchase off a Youtube video, such a paradox.

I believe there are a couple peole on the forum that have the IA set, try and find them and ask what they think of them. Then again, you may have completely different listening tastes. Go check out a local shop and listen to different sets to see what you like. Find some local shows and do the same, about the best advice I can give. Hope that helps!

you can still find some pg rsd's floating around ebay. the 6" is considerably cheaper then the 6.5" set IIRC.

Please don't base your purchase off a Youtube video, such a paradox.

No matter what video I watch, all of the speakers always sound the same....they all sound just like my computer speakers!

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is :( Any ideas?

stupid.gif

haha. i agree about going to a show and listening to different speakers. just not to many shows going on around my town. i do agree thats the best way to make a decision. however, i may try out the IA comps. read on here many people like them.

thanks for the help everyone