Sign in to follow this  
Elrey7698

DIY BOX BUILD...

Okay so i already had a box designed before but i wanted to try it all on my own...thanx to the12volt.com box and port calculator i figured out a simple box i can build...here are the specs

BOX:

W-47"

H-25"

D-28"

PORT:

W-30"

H-5"

D-10"

The box will be 16.4cu ft and it will be tuned to 35hz...the port will be facing back with subs fired up/inverted...

Ok so i have down the demensions but i cant figure out a cut list...im going to lowes tomorrow and i cant figure it out...

Most of the time when using a slot port configuration, you use one side of the box as the port wall. This just makes it easier, so you don't have to make as many cuts.

I am assuming the deminsions provided for the box are external, and for the port are internal?

If that is the case, and you are not doubling up the thickness of the walls, you could increase the port width to 45.5" (47"-1.5" for exterior walls) keep the same 5" port height, and would need to make the port about 16.5" to tune to 35 hz.

This would give you a port displacement of about 2.2 cubic foot. So your box is down to 14.2 Cubic feet before subwoofer and bracing displacement. What speaker(s) are we building this thing for?

close to the specs of my new box.

Okay so i changed the dimensions of the box now its gonna be 48" wide 25" tall and 36" deep...i decided to use aero ports cuz since its my first dyi box it would be easier..im gonna order two 4" aeroports..i put in the demensions on the12volt.com port calvulator and i keep getting a negative number...what does that mean? I

Im pretty sure you need more port than that... Like 2 6" ports atleast i think.. But im sure you can ask someone on here and they would tell you exact how much port you need...

Ok so the box volume will be 17.76^3 ft...since the subs will be inverted then its gonna be pretty dead on with the subs mounted...i checked the aeroport calculator and if i do 2 6" aero ports they will be .6" each in lenght...that does not sound right to me...

post some picks when you start!

CVR's mounted upside down....gross. Whatever, it's your build. I wouldn't use Aero Ports, only because there is no need. Why spend money on plastic when a slot port will look better, and be built into the box. Yes you lose some volume in the box, but it is negligable. I would pay for a custom design if I were you. Four 15s is a large build, and while I mentioned bracing, I haven't seen you mention it anywhere. Good luck.

Ok so the box volume will be 17.76^3 ft...since the subs will be inverted then its gonna be pretty dead on with the subs mounted...i checked the aeroport calculator and if i do 2 6" aero ports they will be .6" each in lenght...that does not sound right to me...

you fucked something up.

you need a minimum port are of 182 in^2.

a 4 inch port has about 12.5 in^2 of area. how many 4" ports would that be? you do the math

A Slot port is the only way to go.

just messing around with a box calculator i got 16 cubes net, 189 in^2 of port area tuned to 35 hz.

i assumed 0.1 cubic feet in woofer displacement per driver and 1.5" thick wall all around. did not calculate for internal bracing which you will need.

the port would be 22" x 8.5" and 22.5" long.

So i just talked to ryan from ram-designs and he will have a design for me maybe tuesday...when i get the pix i will post...also bought 5 sheets of 3/4 mdf...wood clamps,some glue, some 2" coarse thread screws...a skillsaw...some sillicone..and a leveler

I dont have a router and $100 for one is too expensive for a tool im only gonna use when ever i build a box...so idk what im gonna do..

Use a jig saw.

I just think its hilarious how ppl will spend 500 on subs, 200 on box, and so many other bs but won't shed a bill on the right tool for the right job...

I paid $75 for a harbor freight router, and used one of the edge guide rods to turn it into an infinitely variable (7"-20") circle jig. Maybe I need to post a video of that.

My friend sold me his makita router for $50 so there ya go...found a jig on amazon for $10 so $60 in...

My friend sold me his makita router for $50 so there ya go...found a jig on amazon for $10 so $60 in...

Nice!

I start on saturday so look out for my build log...checked out a tahoe on sunday with only 2 cvr's on a 8^3 ft box tned at 34hz and it gets loud...so im hoping my shit gets a lottle louder...

I paid $75 for a harbor freight router, and used one of the edge guide rods to turn it into an infinitely variable (7"-20") circle jig. Maybe I need to post a video of that.

Down to see it. Been looking for a good way to cut them holes. I'm hitting up Harbor Freight for a nail gun later today.

I start on saturday so look out for my build log...checked out a tahoe on sunday with only 2 cvr's on a 8^3 ft box tned at 34hz and it gets loud...so im hoping my shit gets a lottle louder...

Should hit pretty good :)

Starting at 9am today...any forum pals are welcome to stroll by and help ...plenty of cold beer and hell ill treat lunch...sent the wife and kids to the inlaws house..