dpgriff

Wattage in terms of spl

I'm hoping to upgrade from my 10" 500w rms alpine type r in sealed box this summer. I'm planning to buy a 12" and put it a ported box. I'm interested in the gcon but my main concern is power. I've read that more power won't always make a huge difference in spl. I know the gcon isn't out yet but i'm looking for an estimate of how much louder a gcon 12 should be over a dcon 12. If there isn't that much of a difference I wouldn't mind going with a dcon and not to have to worry about using too much power when putting in an amp for the speakers. As far as I know, type r's are pretty decent subs. Would a 12" 300w dcon in a ported box even be an upgrade from a 10" 500w type r in a sealed box?

Why not port your Type R?

If you double the power, you'll gain UP TO 3 dB in theory.

and that's a FULL double... in terms of if you will notice a difference of 100 or 200 watts.. normally.. no.

hmmm, I would go with the gcon simply because it leaves room for growth. What amp will you be using sir? Now and in the future.

What he said ^

You will notice a difference and it's a cheap route

Edited by Fearz

Definitely try porting the Type R first. If you are not satisfied with those results, then worry about upgrading the sub.

Why not port your Type R?

And if this isn't enough then maybe buy another Type R? Then you wouldn't have to worry about selling/getting rid of it....just a thought, especially if you like the way it sounds and have the space.

If you are going to upgrade go at least up to 1500rms sub and amp. Make a big jump that way are more likely to be satisfied. You can always turn it down if it's too much and it's nice to have headroom.

The RMS rating of the sub has absolutely nothing to do with output, SPL, etc....