HawkEye

How Big Should My New Enclosure Be?

Hey all.Im going to be getting a different enclosure and im wondering how big it needs/should be.I have 4 10" DC lvl 3 subs with lvl 4 upgrades.Ive been doing some thinking and I think i can move my batteries and have room for a bigger enclosure.The max deminsions I could use would be 32W x 19H x 40D.My goal is to hit 150db and I just cant do that with my current enclosure.I know the deminsion I gave are probaly to big for the 4 10's so thats why I was wondering how big I should make it.I would like the entire enclosure to be double baffled and I would like to use aero ports.I have always liked aero ports but I have never had a enclosure with them.I would like the enclosure to be tuned to 35hz also and I would use either 3/4 inch MDF or birch.Also I would have to subs up and port back more than likly.Im not wanting or asking for a design,im just wondering what demsions I should use.

So taking into account all of the above,how big should I make the enclosure?Thanks in advance.

HawkEye

Edited by HawkEye

just look up what the recommended specs are for a single woofer and multiply by 4.

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/level3.html

next you need to find out how much port area you need. Enter the info to find how much area you need and then divide the "minimum area" by the individual area of the port your going to use. The number you get here will tell you how many ports you need.

for example if you get something like 3.23423 for your final number you would need to run 4 ports.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

once you know the number of ports required you need to find the length required to tune the box to your desired frequency.

http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/HowTo-1Woofer-Box-CAL%20Port%20lenth%201.html

with the port size and length you can calculate the gross volume of the box. which is simply the net volume required for each subwoofer plus the displacement of the ports plus the displacement of the subs,bracing, etc.

I would look into actually measuring your car out and some one else design it. The design you had us build was not the perfect world setup for those subs to be honest.

Measure out your car and keep a little more distance from the back then before. I would also look to alter the port area that design had. I'm not sure what kind of space you have back there, but if you can add width or anything it would make that setup work much better.

The dims you posted are right at 11.9ft3 gross before any double baffling or port/sub or anything. Also if your goal is a 150db then playing with the tuning is going to be key as well as sub/port placement. The last design you provided was not exactly correct but should function ok per your application. You may be having higher expectations then what your current setup can provide though, so that can be an issue.

Do you want a 150 legal, headrest, or outlaw? Burp or music?

Edited by pro-rabbit

I would like to get 150db on music or burp either one really. 19 inches tall is the absolute tallest i can go and i want it to be 32like inches wide so i can just slide the box into my car. I have alot of room to play with depth wise though. If i go 40 inches deep i will still have a ton more room behind the enclosure than i do now. I think between 35 and 40 inches deep would be my best bet. Maybe like 37inches or something in the middle.

So does anyone think its even plauseable to get a 150 with my current equipment? I know there are a ton of variables but if everything was right is it possible with my 5k and 4 10's

Edited by HawkEye

Are you even competing? If not, why are you chasing 150? Measure the output and satisfy yourself with the actual sound, not a number. You're listening to this system with your EARS. Use that as your measuring device. Actually hearing how loud something is can be much more impressive than seeing a number. 140db can sound louder to the ear than 150db depending on the install. Just food for thought. If you are wanting to reach 150db for competition, then disregard my comments.

Are you even competing? If not, why are you chasing 150? Measure the output and satisfy yourself with the actual sound, not a number. You're listening to this system with your EARS. Use that as your measuring device. Actually hearing how loud something is can be much more impressive than seeing a number. 140db can sound louder to the ear than 150db depending on the install. Just food for thought. If you are wanting to reach 150db for competition, then disregard my comments.

Yes i will be competing this summer for sure.

It is very hard to build for a number with out a ton of testing to be honest.

I would suggest a changeable port to have a "burp" port and then a daily port.

Edited by pro-rabbit

It is very hard to build for a number with out a ton of testing to be honest.

I would suggest a changeable port to have a "burp" port and then a daily port.

Thats exactly what i was thinking of doing. That way i can do alot of testing

You could just make the enclosure have a larger then required port opening and make the whole port assembly changeable. Would allow for the most easy testing and tuning.