lamchop_8

Best wood for Subwoofer Enclousre?

Wasup SSA! I'm seeing alot of builds lately using Birch wood and I never used Baltic Birch before. I know that its 10 bucks more,lighter, and stronger than MDF. But my ? is which wood gives MORE output & helps out on meter better? Weight isn't an option I just wanna know whats the best material to use & what will be loudest!

Thanks SSA

Birch is lighter because it is less dense... The more acoustically dense the better, MDF in my experience is always louder by a small amount.

Birch doesn't split as easy, is easier on tools, lighter, etc

If it's for daily use just go with whatever you prefer.

I don't believe theres a *best* in anything really, everything has pros and cons. I believe that birch isn't as dense as MDF, which would be one of Birch's cons. How many layers will you be adding? (walls)

I don't believe theres a *best* in anything really, everything has pros and cons. I believe that birch isn't as dense as MDF, which would be one of Birch's cons. How many layers will you be adding? (walls)

It wont be a wall it will just be a trunk setup in my Yukon. All sides will be double baffled

Birch is lighter because it is less dense... The more acoustically dense the better, MDF in my experience is always louder by a small amount.

Birch doesn't split as easy, is easier on tools, lighter, etc

If it's for daily use just go with whatever you prefer.

Thanks 4 info bro

It wont be a wall it will just be a trunk setup in my Yukon. All sides will be double baffled

The side walls is what I was refrencing to. If this is the case, Yes, birch would be my wood of choice.

Birch is less dense, but it's MoE is more than DOUBLE that of MDF.

Stiffness is what you would want if competing.

Personally, if you are after a normal daily driver, nothing outrageously loud, MDF all the way.

And just FYI OP, baltic birch is not $10 more than MDF, it's much more than that if buying by the sheet.

The only real Russian Baltic Birch comes in 1116" thick, 60" x 60" squares.

Per sheet goes for around $50-79 depending on location.

Baltic Birch should be an envious wood for those who compete..

I tried doing a group buy for this type of wood but nobody would comply :(

I can get Russian BB but must be bought in bulk of ~30 sheets at a time.

Cost is good only for local pickup.. but pricing has probably gone up since then but like anything, always cheaper to buy in bulk.

The side walls is what I was refrencing to. If this is the case, Yes, birch would be my wood of choice.

So your saying since I'm double baffeling Birch would be more louder than double baffleing with MDF?

I also heard that Birch wood enclosure makes the sound reflex of the cabin? Is that true?

There are many grades and plies of Birch. The stuff you get from HD, Lowes or what not is 7 or 11 ply. They are not void free and not 100% Birch no matter what they say. True Baltic Birch in 3/4" is 13 ply and costs about $80-100 sheet and weighs a couple pounds less per sheet than MDF. Count the plies and grab the sheet. If it feels similar in weight to MDF, it's the good stuff.

With all that being said, not many people, if any, will be able to distinguish a difference between and MDF or plywood enclosure given both ar built sturdy.

So your saying since I'm double baffeling Birch would be more louder than double baffleing with MDF?

First off, what is the setup? You may be over thinking/killing this whole process. If doubling all layers, yes, I would chose birch over mdf. Why, because double birch vs double mdf in sound difference would be un audible, so why not save the weight.

There are many grades and plies of Birch. The stuff you get from HD, Lowes or what not is 7 or 11 ply. They are not void free and not 100% Birch no matter what they say. True Baltic Birch in 3/4" is 13 ply and costs about $80-100 sheet and weighs a couple pounds less per sheet than MDF. Count the plies and grab the sheet. If it feels similar in weight to MDF, it's the good stuff.

Ok thanks bro.

Yes, the stuff those places STOCK is not real R-BB, but the facility I went through is one of Home Depot's distributors as Lowes was of no help on this task.

It would take me a while to get the number of that distributor again.. but that's the only way i could get it cheap.

First off, what is the setup? You may be over thinking/killing this whole process. If doubling all layers, yes, I would chose birch over mdf. Why, because double birch vs double mdf in sound difference would be un audible, so why not save the weight.

I already got my BC5500d, 3 XS D3100's, and stinger 0 guage wire. Setup will be 3 18's but I have'nt decided on subs. I want the new Nightshades but I dont know pricing & when they'll be available. If their over 600 then Sundown Zv.3 18's! Each sub will be getting 2200-2500rms until I upgrade my amp.

Yes, the stuff those places STOCK is not real R-BB, but the facility I went through is one of Home Depot's distributors as Lowes was of no help on this task.

It would take me a while to get the number of that distributor again.. but that's the only way i could get it cheap.

Ok well PM me when you can get the number. I'm interested.

Honestly, i probably won't try again unless you want to come pick it up.

It's an IN/KY distributing area only.

Thats a lil drive. I'm n St.Louis.

Aside from what has been said, I will also add that MDF you have to drill pilot holes or it will split. Other big thing is if it gets wet it is pretty well done. Be sure you use a good high count blade to cut birch as well. I use 60T or 80T on mine. MDF is a little less particular.

Ya know, you are terrible about PM's. I sent you a couple and you haven't replied. This being one of the topics lol

Not in a hurry because I'm almost done with my new enclosure, but may be interested for another project.