SpeakerBoy

Small application cap

I know how useful caps are (or rather aren't) in a vehicle, but how about a smaller application, like my backpack? I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with this idea, so what do you guys think?

For anyone who doesn't know, I use an Everstart 12v Motorcycle battery. It's about 6"x3"x5", not big, but it is enough to run most amps I have thrown in the bag (My oldschool Kenwood 60w 4 ch, my 100w Jensen, and my 200w Earthquake <-- R.I.P); however, deep bass notes tend to make the voltage sag (duh). I was planning on adding more batteries, and saying to hell with back pain (most recent design is pretty lightweight anyway, I have room to mess around) but if I could add a cap and save on weight, and a bit of room, that would be sweet.

Really curious as to what subs you run in your back pack ?? components ??

I've had Bose 6.5's, Altec Lansing 5.25's, some deplorable sony's, Boston Acoustics; The biggest setup I ran was either the altec 5.25" on 100wrms + 25wpc on the horns on the bag straps, or the Isobaric Bose 6.5's on 50rms.

here's a link to the most recent bag, Earthquake 4ch, Coby 4" sub in a 4th order, and two JBL monitor speakers, Motorcycle battery, and blah blah.

http://s1166.photobucket.com/albums/q619/KTBearTrap26/

I know how useful caps are (or rather aren't) in a vehicle, but how about a smaller application, like my backpack? I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with this idea, so what do you guys think?

For anyone who doesn't know, I use an Everstart 12v Motorcycle battery. It's about 6"x3"x5", not big, but it is enough to run most amps I have thrown in the bag (My oldschool Kenwood 60w 4 ch, my 100w Jensen, and my 200w Earthquake <-- R.I.P); however, deep bass notes tend to make the voltage sag (duh). I was planning on adding more batteries, and saying to hell with back pain (most recent design is pretty lightweight anyway, I have room to mess around) but if I could add a cap and save on weight, and a bit of room, that would be sweet.

Dude, I found a picture of you on the internets..:

236468468_42b15a9634.jpg

speakerboy = Data from Goonies

On a serious note, I like your enthusiasm!

I figure, if building stuff like this keeps me out of trouble and off the streets, in addition to being fun as all hell, why not cool.png

LOL ... Go Go Gadget Stereo !!!

Seriously bro ... a large enough cap to do the job would weigh just as much or more than another battery ...

So my suggestion would be to get you another battery ...

Then again, just my suggestion bro ...

I'm dealing with <200wrms here, and any weight I can cut out of it is useful; now, if they can even attempt to market a 1, or 2 farad cap for a car, surely it'd make a difference in the bag?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

you could look on Ebay and find you a Linear Power 452iq amp ... 22.5 watts per channel, plus you can mono a sub at the same time ...

very small footprint for a amp that will work in stereo and capable of running bridged mono at the same time ... beauty of class A/B craftsmanship ...

and don't let that 22.5watts per channel fool you, cause you would be totally suprised at the output ...

I had been looking at some Lepai amps, they look sweet, but I hear reports of only 7-10wpc as opposed to the acclaimed 20-40. However, people also say they are surprised at the output. So, I think 22wpc would be beast. I can't pull it up on ebay, it gives me no results; do you have a link?

A cap is just as useless for you, in fact even worse than in a car. It'll just be weight you add to your setup.

If you want to reduce your battery, you need to reduce your consumption which means more efficient amplifiers.

you could look on Ebay and find you a Linear Power 452iq amp ... 22.5 watts per channel, plus you can mono a sub at the same time ...

very small footprint for a amp that will work in stereo and capable of running bridged mono at the same time ... beauty of class A/B craftsmanship ...

and don't let that 22.5watts per channel fool you, cause you would be totally suprised at the output ...

Seriously terrible option. Put a power hog in your backpack will only require more batteries. Less efficient is the opposite of helping the OP. Get off the brand boner crap and think about your answer for once.

I had been looking at some Lepai amps, they look sweet, but I hear reports of only 7-10wpc as opposed to the acclaimed 20-40. However, people also say they are surprised at the output. So, I think 22wpc would be beast. I can't pull it up on ebay, it gives me no results; do you have a link?

The Lepai's are pretty much crap, but depending on what it's using for a power supply may be more efficient and it isn't like SQ in your backpack is happening anyways so perhaps it could work. There weren't any details on the voltage draw on them on PE's site, but perhaps you can find it. It looks like it comes with an AC-DC converter which could be a win for you. It is also class T which is more or less a class D and will be significantly more efficient than an A/B.

The Lepai operates from 9v-14.4, my battery sits a bit above 12v.

That portion is fine and it's efficient. Not much power though and of dubious quality, but everything is a trade-off.

Seriously terrible option. Put a power hog in your backpack will only require more batteries. Less efficient is the opposite of helping the OP. Get off the brand boner crap and think about your answer for once.

Brand boner crap my ass ... Why don't you run any SSA products in your vehicle ???

You Sir, are the biggest troll moderator I have ever seen ...

The Lepai's are pretty much crap, but depending on what it's using for a power supply may be more efficient and it isn't like SQ in your backpack is happening anyways so perhaps it could work. There weren't any details on the voltage draw on them on PE's site, but perhaps you can find it. It looks like it comes with an AC-DC converter which could be a win for you. It is also class T which is more or less a class D and will be significantly more efficient than an A/B.

Instead of downgrading someone and telling the op their equipment is crap, give some useful suggestions to help the op ...

A class D draws more current than any class d amp ... no matter if its more efficient or not, thus consumes more battery power ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Brand boner crap my ass ... Why don't you run any SSA products in your vehicle ???

Instead of downgrading someone and telling the op their equipment is crap, give some useful suggestions to help the op ...

Unlike yourself I actually did. You gave him an option that is less efficient and requires more power. All because you have a misapplied boner for the product. That is not helpful.

I don't run ANY aftermarket products in my vehicle atm. Could be improved, but it's better sounding than a lot of SQ competition vehicles I've heard.

Unlike yourself I actually did. You gave him an option that is less efficient and requires more power. All because you have a misapplied boner for the product. That is not helpful.

I don't run ANY aftermarket products in my vehicle atm. Could be improved, but it's better sounding than a lot of SQ competition vehicles I've heard.

God ... what a troller ... whatever bro

So you don't support SSA, go figure ... as far as your stock vehicle sounding better that a lot of SQ vehicles you've heard ... you really need to get out more ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Ladies ladies, chill. Op you should check out the soundigital sd250.2

Ladies ladies, chill. Op you should check out the soundigital sd250.2

or those new RF amps that are crazy small... Although I think those options may both be power hogs

God ... what a troller ... whatever bro

So you don't support SSA, go figure ... as far as your stock vehicle sounding better that a lot of SQ vehicles you've heard ... you really need to get out more ...

Instead of trying to attack why don't you explain why your option was a good one for the OP. Oh that's right you can't, so instead you mis-apply the word troll to try and look good. As for getting out more, you don't want to get into that pissing match with me as my ears have traveled a wee bit further than Rankin County.

I've got a bit of advice. Why don't you never recommend Blues Audio or Linear Power crap on this site unless it is TRULY a good solution for the OP. I realize that'll pretty much be never, but then your posts would make a lot more sense.

I'd trust M5's ear, despite our extra fuzzy friendship here on SSA tongue.png

When it comes down to it, weight and size are the limiting factors. The worst one i've built was 45lbs, and while it sounded good, wasn't as loud as i'd like, I had the battery power, but no room for a box. I can fit one more of these motorcycle batteries in the bag before it gets to the point of not fitting; are there any budget amp boards I could assemble myself to save on space? that would add room for a possible third battery. I'll try to measure my bag to see how much it can hold, but i'm not quite sure how to undertake this, as it's not a rigid structure. If I am able to unearth some specs on my battery, how do I calculate how much I can draw from it?

What about 18v?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Damnnnnn that Soundigital is f**kin' small!

Edited by SpeakerBoy