Sign in to follow this  
AcidicDreams

Type of install for 2 IDW 15's

Ok so I bought 2 IDW 15's after reading the spec sheet and it saying I needed 1.5-2cu ft sealed... After asking about it I hear IB and giant boxes are what it needs from squeak over on CA.com.. After searching the net it seams most people did IB installs with the IDWs... so does anyone here have experience with non-IB installs on IDW's... The only two thought I have are seal off the entire cargo area with plexiglass (ummm I'd rather sell the IDW's) or make a box the size of the entire cargo area level up to the seat backs... I could swing this, I'll measure it tonight to see how much space this would give each IDW...

Ok so I bought 2 IDW 15's after reading the spec sheet and it saying I needed 1.5-2cu ft sealed... After asking about it I hear IB and giant boxes are what it needs from squeak over on CA.com.. After searching the net it seams most people did IB installs with the IDWs... so does anyone here have experience with non-IB installs on IDW's... The only two thought I have are seal off the entire cargo area with plexiglass (ummm I'd rather sell the IDW's) or make a box the size of the entire cargo area level up to the seat backs... I could swing this, I'll measure it tonight to see how much space this would give each IDW...

5cubes each, b/c I said so.

nG

5cubes each, b/c I said so.

nG

hehe... you followed me.. 5 cubes is doable... just looking for options... everyone has said IB or big ol box... I just like to know why I'm doing it.. this thing is gonna be heavy.

that would be a monster box

I just like to know why I'm doing it.. this thing is gonna be heavy.

I told you why on CA.com

High efficiency = large enclosure

I told you why on CA.com

That didn't make sense, I've been doing research... I kinda get it now... :learning:

Hoffman's Iron Law.

You can only have two of the following three;

1) Small box

2) High efficiency

3) Low frequency extention.

Obviously, therefore, a high efficiency sub (such as the IDW) in a small enclosure (like 2cuft) is not going to have any low frequency extension.

If you want high efficiency, and low frequency extension, you are therefore going to need a non-small enclosure (or, in other words, a large enclosure).

There is no escaping Hoffman's Iron Law. That's why it's a law and not a theory ;)

Fact of physics man. Those are going to need a large enclosure.

I told you why on CA.com

That didn't make sense, I've been doing research... I kinda get it now... :learning:

Hoffman's Iron Law.

1) Small box

2) High efficiency

Obviously, therefore, a high efficiency sub (such as the IDW) in a small enclosure (like 2cuft) is not going to have any low frequency extension.

If you want high efficiency, and low frequency extension, you are therefore going to need a non-small enclosure (or, in other words, a large enclosure).

There is no escaping Hoffman's Iron Law. That's why it's a law and not a theory ;)

neat :) I'm going to do 4 cubes each since that's more or less the entire cargo area the box will be 38lx32wx15h on the exterior... it works out to right about 4 cubes per sub w/ a divider to seperate the two inside (not sure if I even need to do this) and driver displacement...

Go bigger, if not maybe sell them and get something that can fit in a smaller box

I told you why on CA.com

Hoffman's Iron Law.

1) Small box

2) High efficiency

was always confused about that hoffmans law.... is an actual law specifically for boxes? or is it an actual law of physics?

It is a law of physics that deals with the relationship between efficiency, enclosure volume and low frequency extension.

so pretty much its specifically for speaker enclosures.

its crazy how there are laws that are just for audio haha

Go bigger, if not maybe sell them and get something that can fit in a smaller box

4-5 cubes is about all I have and it seems that will do... if I sell them though squeak has bids :)

If that is all the space you have I'd sell them to Squeak.

4-5 cubes is about all I have and it seems that will do... if I sell them though squeak has bids :)

If that is all the space you have I'd sell them to Squeak.

um that's 4-5 cubs PER sub, not together. They should be fine in that amount of space... I also remeasured my cargo area and I have alot more room than I though :) I could probably do 8 cubs each but I don't think I will...