aBrokeNinja91

a Broke Ninja's Celica build

so i finally got the kicker sold and am now saving up for new subs. but in the mean time i figured i would redo the setup with my old (and first sub) pioneer pro 10".

the old box was built to factory specs, but unfortunately later on i found out it was tuned to 60hz or something crazy like that. i used to have the ssf set at 35 from what people would say and i always got stinky coils. so i cut the top off the box, knocked the ghetto fab round port i made of mdf off, and slid a few pieces of walls in to make a port. lol

but this baby has still held up strong since october last year and is now even better!! the box now is about 1.6 cu.ft. tuned to around 34-35hz with kerfed ports, the sub kinda gets muddy on the real low notes but its because this box was designed around a 10" fi bl, ssa icon, and the AQ hdc3. i have still yet to decide on which sub to get but am most likely just gonna scrap all of this and go with a pair of subs, 10's, 12's or even 15's. but thats later down the road with better electrical.

ive always read that enclosures play a big part in your system, but now its like WTF!! enjoy smile.png

the whip:

Celica GT auto, i luvs this picture smile.png

1316629112585.jpg

the old setup, it was so neat looking with the 1 cu.ft. box with the pioneer...

2012-02-17085807.jpg

The design

2012-03-25125744.jpg

The cuts

2012-03-25125807.jpg

Assembly

2012-03-25222558.jpg

Capped off

2012-03-25233222.jpg

monday is school, no carpet or amp rack till next weekend

2012-03-26152120.jpg

wires yeeaaahh...

2012-03-30131257.jpg

amp rack... double yeeee!!!

2012-03-30164934.jpg

and leds ftw

2012-03-30165416.jpg

nice box

Nice progress so far.

I love the look of the T23. I've got a T20.

Looking good!

thanks fellas. i just looked at the snowy picture of my car and realized i need the rear end a little lower. im thinking 2 12's or a monster 15 will do the trick :)

celica looks good !!

why so many curves to the port in the box .... is there a point to that ??

not being a dick but just wondering lol

celica looks good !!

why so many curves to the port in the box .... is there a point to that ??

not being a dick but just wondering lol

there could be :)

I'm curious to know as well? From what I understand, from a pressure stand point, you want the least amount of bends.

I'm curious to know as well? From what I understand, from a pressure stand point, you want the least amount of bends.

could you elaborate on the pressure conflicting with bends?

Two SA12s would do the trick in that car ;)

I gotta add too the most inner port wall needs to maintain at least the same spacing from the back wall as the port width. Appears way to close to me but that could be an allusion.

I see why you did it, and wanted to do something similar, but figured it was too much of a pain in the butt to make a real difference.

You matched the seat angle so the box could sit against it. This causes the top of the port to be too close to the back wall, and the bottom of the port to be too far away. massive amounts of kerfing looks wicked, but I don't think it added to the sound quality/output of the box.

Build quality looks outstanding, but it appears that the time could have been better spent calculating a rectangular box with rectangular ports, and you would have ended up with a better sounding/louder box.

Also removing the rear angle and kerfing would have allowed the box to be wider/narrower to give you more trunk room as well.

I gotta add too the most inner port wall needs to maintain at least the same spacing from the back wall as the port width. Appears way to close to me but that could be an allusion.

yeah your right, all ninjness aside it is right up against the back wall. lol it looked great on paper...

I see why you did it, and wanted to do something similar, but figured it was too much of a pain in the butt to make a real difference.

You matched the seat angle so the box could sit against it. This causes the top of the port to be too close to the back wall, and the bottom of the port to be too far away. massive amounts of kerfing looks wicked, but I don't think it added to the sound quality/output of the box.

Build quality looks outstanding, but it appears that the time could have been better spent calculating a rectangular box with rectangular ports, and you would have ended up with a better sounding/louder box.

thx. im always trying to out-do my last build so i figured id give kerfing a shot. the port is def too close to the wall because i get port noise, but it was a lesson well learned... as for the sq prob i think it may have to do with the actual driver not liking the specs of the box.