Shogen

Can I replace/remove these???

Basically those bars connect the hinges from the left and right of trunk lid. They are bent in that way to accommodate the 6x9 speakers. I am going to remove the speakers this week. Could I replace them with some straight bar???

trunk_bars.jpg

Your trunk will not stay open if you take those off unless you retrofit something else to keep them up

They are "torsion" bars if I remember the name correctly. I removed mine (it was a bitch). Julian is correct though your trunk lid will feel 10x heavier and won't stay open, I plan on installing pistons to hold it up. It was well worth it in my opinion to gain 3 extra inches of height.

I removed mine on Monday. You will need a prop to keep your lid open.

Uses an old broom stick lol. Matt Wilson has 6 dc xl12's and he had a broom stick and it held while playing it so...

BE careful when removing them. They are under quite a bit of tension and can be dangerous to remove.

BE careful when removing them. They are under quite a bit of tension and can be dangerous to remove.

For sure...I wore goggles and tried to keep my face out of the way. Make sure you have someone holding the trunk lid because it will slam down. I use my trusty crutch to keep it open for now until I figure something out.

Ok. Could I put straight rods instead?

Probably not. I had to bend the metal that they are wrapped around. I'm going to get some struts and make something work.

The ones that came out of my Hyundai are straight. If we meet up you can check them out and see if they fit your ride.

The ones that came out of my Hyundai are straight. If we meet up you can check them out and see if they fit your ride.

True. That would be tits...

The other thing I was thinking was using a hydraulic arm ?

Kinda like this but not exactly this:

21%2Bac1%2BrU3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or like this ? or similar idea...

1.jpg

You could try to retrofit hydraulic struts like are used to support hoods. They run ~$15 at an auto parts store.

But as Ryan said, be careful removing them. They are tensioned.

You could try to retrofit hydraulic struts like are used to support hoods. They run ~$15 at an auto parts store.

good idea... I'll look into that one... Didn't think about it.

good idea... I'll look into that one... Didn't think about it.

Found them at pepboys for my car @ $22. Wonder if I get one for like a truck hood it could be better... Hmmmm

or you can do a electric actuator.. .better known as a "pop truck"

or you can do a electric actuator.. .better known as a "pop truck"

not a bad idea at all... BUT... huge difference is work involved with integrating it and installing it...

The ones Imp mentioned which I found require some fabrication just to get them installed but no maintenance or electrical required.. Just saying...

I used to use actuators in all my trunk installs. They're wonderful. The only added labor is the electrical side. Fabbing mounts for the struts would be the same for the actuators, but I hear ya on the cheap and easy.

I used to use actuators in all my trunk installs. They're wonderful. The only added labor is the electrical side. Fabbing mounts for the struts would be the same for the actuators, but I hear ya on the cheap and easy.

Gotcha... Yea, I am on a broke budget for many reasons... So, I'll need to keep it to bare minimum ...