Looking for a cheap amp for a friends car, he'll be buying my SA12s. Needs 1200 at two ohms. Are the Hifonics BRZ amps good? I found one for 200$ new.

sounds good to me

should get the job done with proper electrical

Hmm, I was expecting to be yelled at and turned to an expensive brand. Thanks! Should sound good in his trunk, while I move up to an HDC3 :)

i had some brz brutus' for my last setup.. they seemed good to me and took a beating while i had them

also look into soundstream rubicons... they have "ok" amps for cheap too...

Edited by 16K

Rubicon were the first line I went to, used them in another friends install. They didn't have an exact match that I was looking for. I don't want to put anything over the rated or the local shop, that is installing it would instantly blame that and say my friend is SOL.

A friend was running 100 watts over RMS on two RF P1s that he turned up too loud and blew. The shop would only replace them if he traded up to the P2 line.

Rubicon were the first line I went to, used them in another friends install. They didn't have an exact match that I was looking for. I don't want to put anything over the rated or the local shop, that is installing it would instantly blame that and say my friend is SOL.

A friend was running 100 watts over RMS on two RF P1s that he turned up too loud and blew. The shop would only replace them if he traded up to the P2 line.

Running 100w over the RMS is likely not going to cause any damage. More than likely one of the system settings was set incorrectly such as the gain, bass boost, etc, or he was using a ported enclosure & played too far under tuning. In which case, your friend could suffer the same fate even if running "exactly" the rated power handling.

Hmm, I was expecting to be yelled at and turned to an expensive brand. Thanks! Should sound good in his trunk, while I move up to an HDC3 smile.png

ehh.gif

What? We suggested a superior product over an inferior one for about the same price...

When you give us a this VS this thread we will tell you which one is a better product....

Running 100w over the RMS is likely not going to cause any damage. More than likely one of the system settings was set incorrectly such as the gain, bass boost, etc, or he was using a ported enclosure & played too far under tuning. In which case, your friend could suffer the same fate even if running "exactly" the rated power handling.

When you set the gains to a certain volume then tell someone to not turn it past that, they don't listen...

And Julian, if that is about the UFO vs thread, I decided to go with new instead of used. Which made that thread useless:. I wasn't referring to that either. :P

Hmm, I was expecting to be yelled at and turned to an expensive brand.

Well it would all really depend on your budget and if you have the same fear of purchasing used equipment.

AQ and Audiopipe are often two "cheaper" amplifier brands that people recommend around here. There has been a few HiFonics horror stories, but in reality 99% of the time an amplifier fails it's the users fault.

I actually run a HiFonics amp... but it's a tad older than the BRZ line ;)

Hmm, I was expecting to be yelled at and turned to an expensive brand.

Well it would all really depend on your budget and if you have the same fear of purchasing used equipment.

AQ and Audiopipe are often two "cheaper" amplifier brands that people recommend around here. There has been a few HiFonics horror stories, but in reality 99% of the time an amplifier fails it's the users fault.

I actually run a HiFonics amp... but it's a tad older than the BRZ line wink.png

AQ is cheap? And remember, its sound qubed now! I've heard terrible stories of their other lines, but I guess the BRZ line is supposed to be much better. We'll find out once he get's it installed.

When you set the gains to a certain volume then tell someone to not turn it past that, they don't listen...

The gain was set improperly then.

AQ is cheap?

In comparison to Sundown and RF, yes. Considerably cheaper. Not saying they aren't as capable, just that their MSRP is lower.

The name change is annoying :|

On the factory head unit terrible distortion occurred at about half volume, so I went a little below half, to where there was no distortion and set the gains there. I told him to not turn the volume past that mark, he didn't listen.

Edited by djtomczak

Rubicon were the first line I went to, used them in another friends install. They didn't have an exact match that I was looking for. I don't want to put anything over the rated or the local shop, that is installing it would instantly blame that and say my friend is SOL. A friend was running 100 watts over RMS on two RF P1s that he turned up too loud and blew. The shop would only replace them if he traded up to the P2 line.
On the factory head unit terrible distortion occurred at about half volume, so I went a little below half, to where there was no distortion and set the gains there. I told him to not turn the volume past that mark, he didn't listen.

don't you h8 win that happens?

If you don't mind me asking, why are you running the HDC at 2 ohms?

This amp isn't for the HDC, the hifonics is for my friend who is buying my SA12s. I'm running the HDC at 2 ohms because my amp only goes down to 2 ohms. I don't want to try and go lower in fear of frying it.