SMpaintball78

having problems with the zcon 12's...... i think

well i noticed today that my subs were sounding a little different. so when i pulled over and looked, one sub was out of phase and was flexxing ALOT more than the other. both subs are wired together at .5ohm to my aq2200..... what could be the problem???

th_VID_20120419_182406.jpg

Can that amp really handle that load, and do you have the electrical to support it at .5 ohm?

Can that amp really handle that load, and do you have the electrical to support it at .5 ohm?

Agreed an aq2200 at .5 is going to need a lot of power.

Agreed an aq2200 at .5 is going to need a lot of power.

i have a 250amp alt., a optima red top, big 3 and all 0 gauge wiring.

im going to pull the subs out tomorrow morning before work and re wire both ubs to make sure there isnt a lose connection somewhere.

Rewire to two ohms and see if there is still a problem.

The amp at that load makes no sense for one sub to be moving that much more than the other. Which one has the cracked basket?

typically, this is caused from a disconnected wire so pull the subs and inspect.

This is also why i never suggest using terminals on boxes.. Just do passthrough right out the box. Eliminates many problems that have happened to people in the past.

Eliminates many problems that have happened to people in the past.

I agree. I am myself a victim of problems linked to terminal boxes.

The amp at that load makes no sense for one sub to be moving that much more than the other. Which one has the cracked basket?

the one closest to the carmera had the cracked basket. but it is fully repaired.

Eliminates many problems that have happened to people in the past.

I agree. I am myself a victim of problems linked to terminal boxes.

im not using the terminals. i have the wires going out the port.

You need to monitor your voltage at the amp to make sure your electrical is up to par to run that amp at 0.5 ohm. I would recommend at least 1 supplemental battery back by your amplifier.

You need to monitor your voltage at the amp to make sure your electrical is up to par to run that amp at 0.5 ohm. I would recommend at least 1 supplemental battery back by your amplifier.

i know im working on it lol. its going to be slow process because money is tight as usual.

This isn't related to your sub issue, but you need more battery to support what you are doing with that amp. My rule of thumb is 100aH per 1000 watts for daily listening. In your case you're trying to pull almost 4K out of that AQ2200. I would say you would need about 400aH worth of batteries. The batteries act like a buffer between the amp and the alternator. No matter how big of an alt you have the dioeds cannot support an in rush of current through them to support 4K watts, they'll burn. Get more batteries. Good luck, and carry on. :)

im not sure how many times i have told him he needs another battery before running that amp at a half ohm,......... he knows the risk... if not because i told him .. be cause eveyrone else has!

but hes young, and you know what it was like .... you wont listen until you have a paper weight

to be honest i have been expecting a topic reading " my amp burned up " or " my alternator is bad"

you will rape that new alternator this way,. bridge rectifiers will fry, right now, your pulling a load straight off the alternator no good.

i know im working on it lol. its going to be slow process because money is tight as usual.

So because your short on money you would rather risk your subs and amp by running at .5 ohms, makes a lot of sense.

Edited by jay-cee

2 ohms untill you have more battery

I would have to aggree, to run at 2ohms untill you have more battery reserve sir. Let us know if that has helped your problem or not.