Sign in to follow this  
needmobass

importance of smoothness

I lined my box with fiber glass and mat, and it came out very bumpy, tried to smooth it out and did an ok job at removing some.

My question is how smooth does it have to be, does it affect the over all sound pressure.

If its a ported box, then smoother the better. Better air flow !

how much of a noticeable difference does this make?

To the ear, probably none.

If it were a competition box where you were trying to gain every .1db then it may matter. But as long as the bubbles aren't large enough to cause a considerable amount of disturbances then don't worry about it.

Why were you using fiberglass mat inside of the enclosure anyways?

I had to use mat in the corners of my box, because the lumber store made my cuts to short and had to put a 3/4"x3/4"x 18.5" piece in each corner. So I matted the corners for strength, then I just poured a ton of fiberglass with hardener on the bottom of the box, spread it out then let it settle and almost dry, then tipped the box and did the same with each side on the inside. The baffle I did speratly then add more fiberglass where the baffle met the box once it was glued. I like said above, it probly wont make a difference to the ear, but on the meter is might. I just did it for strength

So get the sander out and get to work. Smooth it out. Once it's decently smooth, start laying bondo. and get to work.

Actually, a slightly rougher surface may/will promote better airflow than a smooth one. This can be a missconception...

B&W starting working with this principle with thier cabinet vents a few decades ago. It works well for them and has been adopted by several other manufacturers...

I don't understand why so much people use fiberglass in their daily boxes. As if it was very important to do !

It's a lot of work for un-audible results.

Maybe there's something I missed ?!

I'm not talking about competition boxes, that's another story, for sure.