Sign in to follow this  
pimpdaddy1787

Setting gain and ssf

So tonite I set my gain and ssf according to the thread on here. Only questions are, when getting rms for 2 zcon's, do I add both together, or just what amp says. Amp is a saz2500d. 1 ohm says 2500 rms. square root is 50. Set amp output to 50 vac. Then took 50*.707=35.35. Turned ssf up till voltage dropped to 35vac. Questions are, is that correct? Or do I then readjust gain back up to 50?

On mobile, so I will give a quick personal opinion. Yes, it is safe to set your settings via that fashion. Personally, I wouldn't, and ill tell you why. Its because A, music is dynamic, and B, every system will play differently in any given environment. Understanding that is key when using these given techniques and guidelines. Because thats what they are, simply guidelines, to steer your tunning in the right direction. The way I set my settings, maybe not the best way in the world, or most accurate, but will too suffice. And the tools are my sences lol seriously. If I see/hear or smell any kind of warnings from the driver(s), just back down on the setting.

Take my opinion for what its worth lol

To set ssf, set to port tunning, play a song that you know plays low, and put on repeat. Now, turn HU volume to max listening volume, and slowly turn down the volume until you see or smell anything abnormal. Yes its possible to play wide open.

To set gains, do the same thing, select a song your most familiar with, that has bass, start off with gain low, set to maximum listening volume, then begin turning up gain until you see anything abnormal.

Now remember, these two settings are intertwine, at least for me lol, so this can be a long process and hours of testing. Also, each song will require minor tweaking, as a direct relation to the audios recording, and the quality of the source you have. But the main idea is to be in the general ballpark for each song.

I hope this helps, let us no if you still need help : p

Sorry I don't mean to thread jack but I have a similar question.

Are you supposed to set SSF at port tuning or half an octave below port tuning?

So tonite I set my gain and ssf according to the thread on here. Only questions are, when getting rms for 2 zcon's, do I add both together, or just what amp says. Amp is a saz2500d. 1 ohm says 2500 rms. square root is 50. Set amp output to 50 vac.

What level of test tone did you use? If it was 0db then that gain setting is overly conservative.

Gain setting I usually do by ear. If you want to be on the safe side and use the DMM method you can, but I would recommend a -3db, -6db or -10db test tone depending on your usual music selection, listening habits, ability to discern driver stress, etc. The lower the recording level, the less conservative the gain setting.

Then took 50*.707=35.35. Turned ssf up till voltage dropped to 35vac. Questions are, is that correct?

What frequency test tone did you use and what is your port tuned to?

Assuming the frequency of your test tone was the frequency you wanted your SSF set to then yes, that is correct. I.E. if you wanted the SSF set to 35hz, you would have needed to use a 35hz test tone.

You have no idea what the impedance is, so your 50 VAC measurement doesn't tell you a thing about output power.

A 1/2 octave below tuning may be too low depending on the Q of the SSF, may want to experiment a little.

Ear, nose and vision is how I have always set my gains especially with sub woofers. Your amplifier has a variable subsonic filter which I prefer as it's more versatile.