Austin863

Best tweeters for sound quality?

Can some one steer me in a good direction for sound quality tweeters not super tweeters that sound like poop but are really loud. thanks to anyone who can help!

Too generic a question.

What are your goals?

Where do you want to cross them?

What are you planning to use as a crossover?

What is your budget?

What are your sound preference?

What dimensions are you able to deal with?

What mids are you using?

OOO snap more detail as requested above is very much needed to give you help.

Tweeters are the thing that I am most picky about. So definitely give us some more info.

Too generic a question.

What are your goals?

Where do you want to cross them?

What are you planning to use as a crossover?

What is your budget?

What are your sound preference?

What dimensions are you able to deal with?

What mids are you using?

What are your goals? To sound really good

Where do you want to cross them? Meaning?

What are you planning to use as a crossover? not sure yet

What is your budget? 70

What are your sound preference? Steer me in a good direction

What dimensions are you able to deal with? Any

What mids are you using? Hopefully mach 5's *cough cough* NEM ;)

I too run Mach 5 mids. I paired them with a LPG 25NFA. These tweeters work really well in off axis installations. For a small format tweeter they can play down to 2000hz pretty well. I have the Mach 5s playing 63hz-2000hz and the LPG 2000hz and up. For a simple installation they sound really good together.

I have a brand new set of these tweeters for sale in the classifieds. I also have a nice used pair of Mach 5 MLI 6.5" mids available as well.

Sean I hate to do this, but I disagree completely on one point. The 25nfa is a great tweeter, absolutely loved mine but they are terrible below 4kHz. Just flat out won't work. I had MLi's, I had the nfa's, and no way would they ever play nice together. Actually they'll play fine together but you will be missing out on some of the primary frequencies of recorded music.

OP, you CAN'T shop for tweeters yet. First you need a crossover, then you need to know potential mounting locations. Being more sure on mids would help too, but that sounds like you are pretty close. And by first I don't mean you need to buy but you need to know what your options are.

Absolutely m5 but like I said I'm not sure I was just looking for suggestions for some good sounding tweeters. They are gonna be mounted on my windsheild frame covers left and right then maybe another set on the dash if I go with another component set. What would be a particularly good cross over if I were to say being getting these Mach 5s ?

Where do you want to cross them? Meaning?

What frequency range you were needing to cross them over at. This was partially answered by your selection of mid.

What are your sound preference? Steer me in a good direction

We can't tell you what you'll like. It helps if you have some starting point baseline of what characteristics you prefer.

then maybe another set on the dash if I go with another component set

No. One set of tweeters. That's it. Anything more does nothing but hurt performance.

What would be a particularly good cross over if I were to say being getting these Mach 5s ?

A good crossover point or a good processor/crossover to use?

Is your head-unit capable of active processing?

Are you planning on spending a few hundred on a processor?

If you can't answer yes to one of those questions then you would be better off with a component set.

Is your current amp a four channel, or planning on getting a four channel amp?

Are you ready to spend countless hours tweaking the filters?

<-Not steering you away from going the active route, but just wanted to make sure you were slightly aware of what it entails before selecting drivers. tongue.png

Edited by stefanhinote

active is a mind fuck for a rookie.

also imo. "the best tweeter" it way open to preference. whats best for you may be shit to someone else.. .and vise versa.

Im planning on getting a nice 4 channel amp. and i think my headunit has the active crossover? its the Pioneer akh-p1400. so im not sure unless one of you guys know. My frequency range would be probably around 80hz to the midbass and then from the midbass. im not sure what they would stop at for the tweeters. like 2khz? idk i just need help fellas. im still a newbie. YOU MUST TEACH ME YOUR WAYS :D

Im planning on getting a nice 4 channel amp. and i think my headunit has the active crossover? its the Pioneer akh-p1400. so im not sure unless one of you guys know. My frequency range would be probably around 80hz to the midbass and then from the midbass. im not sure what they would stop at for the tweeters. like 2khz? idk i just need help fellas. im still a newbie. YOU MUST TEACH ME YOUR WAYS biggrin.png

Stick with a pre-built component set right now, IMO.

It will be easier to get good performance at your knowledge level from a pre-built comp set than you would with an active setup.

Okay what will a processer do for me I have never heard of one of thoes. Sorry for being a noob I just wanna learn

Im planning on getting a nice 4 channel amp. and i think my headunit has the active crossover? its the Pioneer akh-p1400. so im not sure unless one of you guys know. My frequency range would be probably around 80hz to the midbass and then from the midbass. im not sure what they would stop at for the tweeters. like 2khz? idk i just need help fellas. im still a newbie. YOU MUST TEACH ME YOUR WAYS biggrin.png

It will be easier to get good performance at your knowledge level from a pre-built comp set than you would with an active setup.

yeah but I'm trying to save a little bit of money here to where I just need to get some tweeters. And an amp but I hope I got that covered soon. But a processor what is it?

yeah but I'm trying to save a little bit of money here to where I just need to get some tweeters. And an amp but I hope I got that covered soon. But a processor what is it?

You aren't going to be able to run an active setup without some way to cross over the speakers. Some HU's have this feature built in. Yours does not. In which case, you need to purchase a processor which will contain the necessary electronic crossover networks to allow you to run an active setup. A processor is what you need in order to run active. And they cost money, so in the long run you're probably not saving much if anything. Generally speaking going active isn't about "saving money" but achieving better performance and access to a wider product (speaker) selection. More times than not active is going to end up more expensive, and the performance is only going to be an improvement when used in the hands of someone knowledgeable enough to take advantage of it, and you aren't there yet.

Your three options are 1) sell your HU and purchase one that has the necessary features to run active, 2) purchase an external processor that possesses the necessary features to run active, or 3) go with a pre-built comp set. Option # 3 is the best option for you at this juncture.

If your on a budget then it makes sense to use a component set. They already come with a passive crossover network designed to get the most out of the speakers in the set.

However, every install will differently effect the end frequency response (overall sound) of the speakers, and passive crossover networks can't be adjusted to accommodate these changes-hence the reason for going active.

Active processing gives the ability to change crossover points & slopes for any given speaker in the setup (among other features), but it usually costs a bit extra for a head-unit to have these features, or buying a separate processor like a rockford 3sixty, jbl ms8, minidsp, etc can be a lot.

Not only are these processors relatively costly, but often times you have to spend a TON of time to get the speakers to sound better then a traditional component set.

To me with the goals you want, and perhaps tight budget, it makes sense to use a component set, but if you'd like to up your budget, and try an active setup then prepare to learn a whole lot more.............

And Impious beat me to the punch, and with a lot more eloquence.

For what it's worth, the last processor I had was over 400 alone-although the latest one I just ordered is under 200, and for some that's their entire budget for speakers, so it's not exactly an optimal way to "save" money. :P

Okay I got what you're saying now I'm just looking at getting some xcons and really need to upgrade the front but will be amplified with some nice comps. Thanks for the help guys I gotta talk to nem a little more about it and then we will see what we are gonna do thanks for the help and info

My guess is spend your money!!! :P

One caveat of course. With Neal's help you can probably pull off active, but on your own not so sure I'd experiment.

One caveat of course. With Neal's help you can probably pull off active, but on your own not so sure I'd experiment.

I'm always gonna have nems help until i am a master such as himself and you other here on the forum! :)

Maybe, but I think it is going to be much easier to go with a comp set in his case.