Austin863

Best tweeters for sound quality?

Easier for sure and usually easier nets better, but considering he isn't alone I thought I'd point that out.

Easier for sure and usually easier nets better, but considering he isn't alone I thought I'd point that out.

Thank you I appericate that.

Sometimes I may steer him to ask questions on here to better help him understand whats and whys of his wants. Coming from others sure helps things.

Honestly I think a nice set of components on a nice amp can sound pretty damn good. Will it be a true SQ setup? No. But I think you will surprised how well something can sound when properly selected and installed.

That's the fun of this hobby I think. Build, learn, improve.

Indeed indeed dbsupra. Nem and i have been talking and we are gonna make the mids active and tweets passive. So we can use the headunit to process the mids to cross at 80hz then the mids will round off at around what the tweets will pick up at 2khz

Indeed indeed dbsupra. Nem and i have been talking and we are gonna make the mids active and tweets passive. So we can use the headunit to process the mids to cross at 80hz then the mids will round off at around what the tweets will pick up at 2khz

What are you going to use to crossover the mid and tweeter?

A crossover haha from the amp uhh i'be yet to look at crossovers so any pointers in that direction?

A crossover haha from the amp uhh i'be yet to look at crossovers so any pointers in that direction?

Most amps are extremely limited with their crossover abilities.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

I am getting a crossover. thats what im saying im getting a cross over and an amp and im using the headunit to tell the amp to cross the mids and sub at 80hz. You followin me?

I am getting a crossover. thats what im saying im getting a cross over and an amp and im using the headunit to tell the amp to cross the mids and sub at 80hz. You followin me?

So what amps/crossovers are you looking at?

not sure one the amp or what nem got me for my birthday but if not an amp maybe a crossfire amp or a kicker or a cresendo or sundown.

and crossover im not sure gotta talk to nem about it hopefully whatever comes with the tweeters or something in relation to these brands

You are completely missing my point.

You keep presuming you can just pick any amp, and it'll have the neccesary crossover functions.

I believe of those brands sundown does have a model or two that will work.

Using a passive crossover from some set without all the drivers it was designed for is asinine.

Edited by stefanhinote

You are completely missing my point.

You keep presuming you can just pick any amp, and it'll have the neccesary crossover functions.

I believe of those brands sundown does have a model or two that will work.

Using a passive crossover from some set without all the drivers it was designed for is asinine.

okay well thats why nem and i are working together. im thinkin a 125 from sundown. will that work?

You will be way better off getting a component set that comes with the necessary crossover and getting a decent 2-4 channel amp. It will sound great and easy to setup. Set the amp at hpf to 80 hz and be done with it.

You will be way better off getting a component set that comes with the necessary crossover and getting a decent 2-4 channel amp. It will sound great and easy to setup. Set the amp at hpf to 80 hz and be done with it.

I see what you're saying im not an idiot (even tho i may sound it at times) but thats not the point. I'm installing mach-5 drivers with a nice set of tweets. My headunit will cross my sub and mids at 80hz. There that is covered. NOW the crossover between the mids and tweets is a different story. and i think the sundown 125 is probably what im gonna get. there the amp is covered. i'm not asking for a schooling on high preformance equipment thats what nem is for. He will teach me that far i know what you are all trying to say a comp set will be easier but if i run my tweeters passive and my mids active then the headunit/amp will process that part. Sooo im pretty sure thats all figured out right?

I see what you're saying im not an idiot (even tho i may sound it at times) but thats not the point. I'm installing mach-5 drivers with a nice set of tweets. My headunit will cross my sub and mids at 80hz. There that is covered. NOW the crossover between the mids and tweets is a different story. and i think the sundown 125 is probably what im gonna get. there the amp is covered. i'm not asking for a schooling on high preformance equipment thats what nem is for. He will teach me that far i know what you are all trying to say a comp set will be easier but if i run my tweeters passive and my mids active then the headunit/amp will process that part. Sooo im pretty sure thats all figured out right?

I could be wrong, but I don't think your head-unit will work for crossing over your mid.

Double check the manual for the sundown 125, but I believe it does have enough basic filters to do both the mids and tweets. Also check if the slope is adjustable.

Newest revision of the sundown 125.4 is 2 way active capable and has adjustable slope 12 or 24.

I wouldn't recommend buying a component set and using the top half with the Mach 5. The Mach 5 is a potent driver, but there is a compromise that EVERY component set has. They always skimp on the tweeter requiring a rather high crossover point. The Mach 5 won't do well with that.

In your case, I'd instead look for a 4 chn amp (and not pay new Sundown prices since you are in budget mode) and a comp set that you can bi-amp. This way you can use the passive that came with the set and compare to the settings on a 4chn amp active.

Does your headunit do a HP? It should. Most amps won't bandpass which means you get one HP and one LP which also wouldn't work with the Mach 5 and tweet idea either. Even better would be to get a proc first. Amp crossovers are bandaids and for speaker protection IMO, not much else. Although I'd still prefer a raw gain block for an amp.

Learn with something off the shelf, then replace it piecemeal and sell the comps you bought.

I think his best bet at this point is to either do a component set or just amp his current door speakers. Then once you decide long term what you want to do we can look for a better HU with processing capabilities if you choose to go active.

Who knows maybe the IA set is what you are looking for and will want nothing more if you go that way.