Ndnkobra

Quality of Flash Drives within Head Units

Hey guys, just a simple question and looking for some opinions on how the quality of a music file on a USB flash drive compares to, lets say an Ipod via USB connection. What are your thoughts? And are there any noticeable differences?

I would assume that it just depends on the quality of the file as they are both connected via usb. Not sure though.

Ah very well put. I'm guessing in terms of ease of use, the interface and control of an Ipod would be easier to manage than a USB Flash drive. But quality wise, if they're both mp3 files, they're going to sound the same.

Yeah keep in mind that not every mp3 is the same. The lower the bit rate the lower the quality, and vice versa.

personally my headunit controls a usb drive much better then an ipod via usb. you would want to explore both for the specific headunit your looking to get.

IMO my opinion headunits handle Ipods MUCH better all the head units I've used wouldnt seperate the files out as artist/albums/etc

I'm running the Kenwood DNX9980HD unit with a 250g external hard drive for my music / video storage.

I had to partition the drive 4 ways and make 3 of them FAT32 format so the headunit can see / read them.

I run all Windows Media Lossless music / Video files on them with no problems, And I'm still able to use the 4th partition on my laptop / home computers for pictures, music, video, movies, or any other files needed ...

If you have a 32g flash drive, You should be able to hold ALOT of Windows Media Files for your headunit without having to settle with MP3 files ... Hope this helps out some ...

Just a suggestion, Thanks guys ...

Randal

Edited by Cablguy184

When researching head units, I vaguely remember reading something about how when you plug in an iPod to some head units, you are using the DAC in the iPod and not the head unit. So in that case it would be better to use a USB drive, unless the DAC in the iPod is better than the one in your head unit.

I could be wrong though, its been a while since I read it and I cannot remember where I came across this information...

I'm running the Kenwood DNX9980HD unit with a 250g external hard drive for my music / video storage.

I had to partition the drive 4 ways and make 3 of them FAT32 format so the headunit can see / read them.

I run all Windows Media Lossless music / Video files on them with no problems, And I'm still able to use the 4th partition on my laptop / home computers for pictures, music, video, movies, or any other files needed ...

If you have a 32g flash drive, You should be able to hold ALOT of Windows Media Files for your headunit without having to settle with MP3 files ... Hope this helps out some ...

Just a suggestion, Thanks guys ...

Randal

Randal, you don't have to partition your drive to have them in FAT 32. I have a 750gb drive connected to my Tablet for my headunit in FAT32 with only a single partition.

32gb doesn't hold shit.

Great responses guys! And thanks for the help. Another thing that came across my thoughts were the amount of music files stored on a USB drive. Wouldn't it take any type of head unit a good amount of time to load and read music files? I'd assume if a drive is holding onto over 5000 songs, that it would take forever for the files to show up unless the read speed of the drive itself is quick. I could be wrong though since everyone that's posted so far is in favor of mass storage devices

i have a head unit that was made to have an ipod on it,..... i hated using the ipod feature tho,

so i use a flash drive i like it alot better,

thats just me tho.

I've never timed mine, perhaps I will later on today. It isn't noticeable, but I am using it on a boat where I have other things to get ready before the music anyway.

Randal, you don't have to partition your drive to have them in FAT 32. I have a 750gb drive connected to my Tablet for my headunit in FAT32 with only a single partition.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 cds / dvds (windows media Lossless) uploaded to the 3 partitions (96 gb) with PLENTY of room to spare ... Not to mention the tons of stuff loaded up on the 4th partition ... Which works out alot better for my application considering I use this drive on multiple computers and my Xbox 360. I guess this can be done in many different ways, as long as it works ...

32gb doesn't hold shit.

What does the average flash drive hold ??

Edited by Cablguy184

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 cds / dvds (windows media Lossless) uploaded to the 3 partitions (96 gb) with PLENTY of room to spare ... Not to mention the tons of stuff loaded up on the 4th partition ... Which works out alot better for my application considering I use this drive on multiple computers and my Xbox 360. I guess this can be done in many different ways, as long as it works ...

32gb doesn't hold shit.

What does the average flash drive hold ??

1 20th of my music collection.

So the benefit of the partitions you are using is?

So the benefit of the partitions you are using is?

I don't know if its a benifit or not ... I just know it works

If I knew how to partition it the corect way, I would do it or get it done. Got any ideas on how to fix this ??

Edited by Cablguy184