stiffler style

Anyone have experience with Vipera?

I've been browsing speakers to replace in my doors as my project is finally coming together and I came across the "Vipera f6." http://lautsprechershop.de/pdf/audiodevelopment/f_line.pdf 26mm xmax... Wow that blows away the exodus anarchy.

I highly doubt I would buy them (at around $280 each) however I was wondering if anyone has ever used this midbass or their other products?

Interesting product to say the least.

I didn't bother looking at the pdf, but I'm not entirely sure why you say it blows away the exodus anarchy because it's xmax rating. The exodus has 25mm peak to peak, and cost a third of the price of that driver.

Edited by stefanhinote

If you calculate their Vd it ends up being virtually the same.

Which on it's own doesn't mean much as to what driver is "better."

Edited by stefanhinote

Ah, you sir are probably right. I assumed it was 26mm one way which would be pretty impressive. My comment between this driver and the exodus purely pertained to xmax. I'm not to knowledgeable comparing t/s specs yet. The exodus is about an inch deeper too.

Just my observations.

Also keep in mind that a manufacturer can "rate" a driver's Xmax pretty inaccurately.....only way to verify is with an accurate Klippel or similar analysis.

No experience with them, but the link looks like it's from Audio Development which is a pretty pricey brand in general. I don't know why, some of the drivers look fairly generic to me, and I've never seen any measurements to confirm they justify the price.

Of course this is isn't quantifiable data but 5 or so people from across the pond on a bmw forum have used this driver before and were very impressed. But who knows what they have to compare it to.

Is it possible to accurately measure xmax just by playing a test tone and using a tape measure? or is it much more involved than that?

Of course this is isn't quantifiable data but 5 or so people from across the pond on a bmw forum have used this driver before and were very impressed. But who knows what they have to compare it to.

Is it possible to accurately measure xmax just by playing a test tone and using a tape measure? or is it much more involved than that?

How would you measure distortion?

Distortion isn't measured on a 70% BL xmax subwoofer rating. 70% = 20% distortion caused by lose of BL.

This rating is used bc normally you will see othe parts of a driver create distortion much earlier. In other words said driver may have had a 30mm xmax but reach 20% THD at 15mm

But distortion is not neccissarily a bad thing. In some instances distortion is induced to make the sound fuller and warmer

oh okay. I guess I was right about it being much more involved. Thanks for the responses anyhow.

Of course this is isn't quantifiable data but 5 or so people from across the pond on a bmw forum have used this driver before and were very impressed.

Not many people are going to spend the kind of money Audio Development charges and then claim to be unhappy ;)

Of course this is isn't quantifiable data but 5 or so people from across the pond on a bmw forum have used this driver before and were very impressed.

Not many people are going to spend the kind of money Audio Development charges and then claim to be unhappy wink.png

Or know better.

Hell I used some HAT mids, very much liked the sound, but that doesn't mean their cost was necessarily worth it. Perhaps if I would have tried various speakers at half the price point I could have found something just as good, or even better.

Everything is relative.

Edited by stefanhinote

Not many people are going to spend the kind of money Audio Development charges and then claim to be unhappy wink.png

I've been guilty of that before. Just a different brand and little bit less money.

Or know better.

Hell I used some HAT mids, very much liked the sound, but that doesn't mean their cost was necessarily worth it. Perhaps if I would have tried various speakers at half the price point I could have found something just as good, or even better.

Everything is relative.

But Scott bulwada designs/sells/owns hat. That means they are worth 4x more than a comparable driver, right?