Sign in to follow this  
atlhawks

help newb with his first setup

hi all im wanting to get a system in my truck. its a 2009 chevy silverado regular cab. i need a cd player, subs and amp. im wanting to get all of these for around 600 because thats what i have saved up. i want the subs to get loud and still have a tight punch for all kinds of music. any suggestions to get me started would be great

What kind of space do you have available?

im about 6 foot tall so i wanna be able to keep a little leg room. with the seats up a little ive got about 7-8 inches to work with so the subs being around 6 inches would be great. i can go pretty much all the way across the back and up about 16 inches. thinking about mounting the amp under the seat to save some room for the box?

Get some measurements (height, width, and depth) otherwise it will be impossible to recommend a sub woofer.

I know you said "for all kinds of music" but maybe some examples of the music you listen to will help the others help you.

ive got about 46 long 8 deep and 15 tall to work with. thought about maybe 1 12 ported 2 10s ported or 3 10s sealed

With a total budget of $600 you should focus on a single sub. Are you going to do the install yourself? Do you plan on using your factory speakers for mids and highs?

I know you said "for all kinds of music" but maybe some examples of the music you listen to will help the others help you.

i listen to everything from hip hop and r&b 80's rock and some newer rock, current country and even some dubstep. id say majority is the hip hop though

With a total budget of $600 you should focus on a single sub. Are you going to do the install yourself? Do you plan on using your factory speakers for mids and highs?

for right now ill be using the factory speakers until i save up for some components. im just really wanting some bass and when i save up ill get better door speakers. and yeah i have a buddy whos done a lot of installs im going to get him to help me put everything in

i was thiking about maybe since i dont have that much room doing like 3 10s sealed or something because i heard since i dont have the room to fit the meatier subs the cone area would help me get louder?

i was thiking about maybe since i dont have that much room doing like 3 10s sealed or something because i heard since i dont have the room to fit the meatier subs the cone area would help me get louder?

We don't know how much room you have.

ive got about 46 long 8 deep and 15 tall to work with. thought about maybe 1 12 ported 2 10s ported or 3 10s sealed

I can't read....

i plugged it in to the 12volt calculator and it says i have about 2.25 cubic foot to work with

and ive been shopping around on sonicelectronix and noticed the rockford fosgate t1 is about the same price as the gcon and the alpine type r is cheaper than both but handles a little more watts. how do these compare

I wouldn't run the RF, and I would take the GCON over the type r.

what about the rockford amps? from what ive read on here seems like all of them are solid. maybe the rockford r750.1d do power either a type r of the gcon

The gcon is a good sub

ok i guess im going to do the 10 or 12 ported. i wanna build my own box and have been reading some stuff i think i get the basics. what are the braces in the box and how do i do them or are they really necessary?

Use some calculators and make sure everything is set up right before you start cutting. You could even make the box in google sketch up (there are numerous videos on how to use sketch up) and put it on here and let more knowledgable people check it.

All I really know of braces is using wooden dowels from home depot for bracing. Someone could chime in on that.

High end Rockford amps are great, their entry level stuff not as much. Boston Acoustics left the mobile market, that's why you can get those really good amps dirt cheap, I'd get one of those with the GCON.

is the boston acoustics amp enough to push the gcon?

It was enough for my XCON so I would say yes.