Sign in to follow this  
atlhawks

help newb with his first setup

what size box did you have yours in?

It isn't the same sub but ~2.5

I would not use the gcon for numerous reasons. The monting depth is 6.5" and that does not include clearence for the pole vent (add an extra 2-3"). Using 0.75" MDF for enclsoure construction you will not enough depth with you 8" max od measurement.

The Sundown SD-2 10" is designed for your application. Mounting depth is 4.75" and it does not have a pole vent. You can literally mount the driver against the back wall of the enclsoure without affecting driver performance. Also, it is an excellent driver for use in a small sealed enlcosure. Smaller enclsoure equals more leg room, perfect for behind the seat mounting. You can buy it here for $159.99 shipped.

ill look into it definitely. i posted this in the fi section but got no respone. i was thinking about doing 1 fi ssd 10 ported and if i wanted to add another later. make a 1.5 cubic foot ported box because i know that will give me plenty of room

Defintiely, the SSD 10 is another great option.

I could be wrong but doesn't the SSD have a pole vent as well?

The previous version did their new version doesnt.

i hate the decisions, im pretty mindset to do the 1 10 ported for now and then have the option to upgrade to another one later and upgrade amp. sounds like the fi ssd and sundown sa's are both great options, only difference i can really see if seems like the ssd likes to handle a little more power

The previous version did their new version doesnt.

Cool thanks.

only difference i can really see if seems like the ssd likes to handle a little more power

It CAN (not "likes") handle more power. I would put my money on the SSD being better in every way than the Sundown.

i hate the decisions, im pretty mindset to do the 1 10 ported for now and then have the option to upgrade to another one later and upgrade amp. sounds like the fi ssd and sundown sa's are both great options, only difference i can really see if seems like the ssd likes to handle a little more power

The SA series has a pole vent. I wouldnt use that driver with your mounting depth. I would narrow my choice down to the SSD or SD-2.

only difference i can really see if seems like the ssd likes to handle a little more power

It CAN (not "likes") handle more power. I would put my money on the SSD being better in every way than the Sundown.

Why is the SSD better in every way than a Sundown driver?

looks like its going to be the 10" ssd in a 1.5 cubic foot ported box on a rockford r1200.1 amp. with taking time on the box build and properly setting it all up hopefully ill be happy with it

Not any Sundown but the SD......in what way is it not better? The only advantages with the Sundown that I can see is that the SD would arrive sooner and costs less. For performance the SSD wins hands down.

Not any Sundown but the SD......in what way is it not better? The only advantages with the Sundown that I can see is that the SD would arrive sooner and costs less. For performance the SSD wins hands down.

Have you used both drivers in a smiliar install to say that the SSD performs better? I havent.

Have you used both drivers in a smiliar install to say that the SSD performs better? I havent.

I have used both drivers in different installs. I stand behind my statement that the ssd is superior.

i know i didnt state this right the first time but what wattage should i run on the ssd? what did you use with yours?

Anything 750-1000 would be great. When I ran my ssd 12's I had them getting 500 each. Subs don't need rated power to work well.

great. thanks for all your help. i posted this on the fi part but didnt get any help. i was thinking about doing a 1.5 cubic foot box with the sub on the passenger side and a 3 " aero port coming out behind the driver seat 10 inches long to tune it to 33 hz i think would that be fine

great. thanks for all your help. i posted this on the fi part but didnt get any help. i was thinking about doing a 1.5 cubic foot box with the sub on the passenger side and a 3 " aero port coming out behind the driver seat 10 inches long to tune it to 33 hz i think would that be fine

dont think that's enough port area. also fi recommends 1.2 cubes max, after displacement for the 10" ssd/

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

http://store.ficaraudio.com/ssd10/

i'd would go with a used sub and save some money.

I agree I would use more port area.

ive been looking at so many subs i just got mixed up. how much more port area would i need?

Is port area entirely dependent on intended tuning frequency and box volume after displacement?