capricess

inward facings subs

guys i have an idea i want to do a new enclosure in the trunk of my 1995 caprice i was thinking of building 2 boxes one on the left side of the trunk facing inward and the other on the right side facing inward as well the boxes will be built to specs and ported for my db drive k915d4s powered by a bc3500d i also plan on cutting out the area behinfd the arm rest in the center of my back seat to act as a port into the cabin thid setup is for spl only but be used as a daily driver what do you guys tthink as fsr as the perfomance aspect of tis desighn there will be a total of 4 subs 2 on each side withe aproxamatley 10-15 inches between the boxes or less tips and feed back needed

TIA Chuckie

So you can build 2 enclosures "to spec" for 4 15's and 10-15" between them? That's a massive trunk.

Sounds like what you are trying to build is a 6th order bandpass without the port.

Those are not easy to design and maybe you will get lucky with what you are doing but hard to just say yeah that will be awesome.

What are your max dimensions?

So you can build 2 enclosures "to spec" for 4 15's and 10-15" between them? That's a massive trunk.

Sounds like what you are trying to build is a 6th order bandpass without the port.

Those are not easy to design and maybe you will get lucky with what you are doing but hard to just say yeah that will be awesome.

What are your max dimensions?

Per sub per box or whole trunk?

Probably around 16 cubes if I had to make a educated guess witch will leave me with about 5 cubes after subs are stuffed in there

Measurments of the trunk.

Measurements of whole trunk or measurements of usable space

I take that back there is a whole 20 cubes I went and checked on the impalassforum that Im on don't know the exact measurements if the whole trunk I've only measured the area I plan on using fir my enclosure witch is LxDxH 45x32x17 witch is just a hair over 14 cubes.

i would do 1-2 15s ported MAX.

Anything more and you will not only lose efficiency but possibly be less loud.

Ill pass on the 1-2 subs I'm sure ill be able to get the spl performance I'm looking for with the space available to me I'm not trying to when comps just have a mean street beat machine

um.. if you are not doing comps... then WHY PASS?

Now you make no sense...

For a trunk setup I would only do 2 things.

Firing forward sealed up. Requires at a minimum a flip down seat.

A 4th order bandpass ported thru an armrest or something of the sort.

Well maybe a b pillar wall but that's a little more extreme.

lol, dbsupra...

How you gonna do a B pillar wall in the trunk?

Well.. i guess you could if u had a Smartcar, lol.

Its a personal preference kinda thing is your entire system custom and built just they way you want it

some times less is more.....

every time 2 15's in the correct air space will be louder in 4 choking them selfs.

Its a personal preference kinda thing is your entire system custom and built just they way you want it

yes it is but i do not see where you are going with that question?

And if it wasn't, it would eventually require a rebuild.

This hobby shouldis be a DIY hobby.

Nobody gets things right the first time.. BUT if you are on a forum, take advice from those who have been there, done that to save you the trouble and money.

And the good thing is, you will not forfeit learning from the mistakes either because we willcan present the reasons easily.

Is that a question? If that was to me then yes everything is custom built and designed by me. I do have some insight from suggestions from this forum on the build.

You asked for feedback and suggestions. I'm just saying I wouldn't just put 4 15's in the trunk and cut a hole. I would do 2 sealed against the back bit don't think that is an option for you. If you for sure want 4 I would still prefer a bandpass ported thru the armrest. That way all the sound is channeled to the cabin and it doesn't sound like king Kong is trying to bust out of your trunk.

Doesn't sound like a wall is an option for you either.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure other people have different ones. I've owned several trunk cars over the past 20 years all with subs. I know what I liked and what I didn't.

DBsupra that was a question but it was for shizzon this is a DIY project and I know its not going to be right the first time obviously because this will be my second go around in this trunk I agree with the band pass enclosure makes a lot of since to me and I like all the suggested ideas as well but this build is custom just for me how I want it to be all suggestions will be taken seriously that's why I asked for them however I wont just be taking out 2 subs because it makes more since to you this is what I want and how I want so there for suggestions on how to make my idea work better as dbsupra has given are taken more into consideration then some one given me suggestions on changing my whole idea

What you are trying to do is called a manifold enclosure. They are used in HT. you can model them using horn response.

i-can-t-hear-you-thumb17447002.jpg

You're not going to get a "manifold" opening using an armrest hole. At last I've never seen anybody run a 4-15" manifold with that tiny of an opening.