sundownz

Z v.4 10" Prototype : 2nd Woofer New Parts

The 10" is done and drying; should be able to play tomorrow. I'll be a tad more careful this time *laughs* Of course I should be safe with the 8 3/8" spider vs. the 9 1/4" on the 12" model as I shouldn't be able to reach quite the level of throw!

This is the first 10" woofer with 3" coil that I've built that I didn't hate every second of... gives me a good feeling and I cannot wait to test it !

CIMG6663.JPG

CIMG6664.JPG

CIMG6665.JPG

* Left to right : Z v.4 10 / Z v.4 12 / Z v.3 12

CIMG6666.JPG

CIMG6667.JPG

Nice! And next will we get to drool over a 15" and 18"? :)

Oh my geeeawd. Get that shit on the market asap broski. Wheeew im gettin a little stiff over here. Whats the depth of the 10 any ideas yet? If it fits will be putting one in my single cab...

WOW. that is pretty sick fing34.gif

Would like to try one on those 10s in a portwars box.

Looks great!

Got the 10" Z v.4 motor charged up to run specs on it -- so here we are (D2 coil) :

RE : 3.42 (series)

Fs : 29.4 Hz

Qes : 0.324

Qms : 4.61

Qts : 0.302

Le : 3.68 mH

Sd : 366 cm^2

BL : 24.85 NA

Mms : 316 g

Cms : 92.41 uM/N

Sens : 83.16 dB - 1w/1m

BL^2/RE : 180.56

For production the top plate ID is going to move OUT a bit (wider gap) to prevent damage in the case of excessive excursion (which is how I damaged the 12" prototype) -- this will reduce BL by a small margin but the Z v.4 motor force factor is still in excess of the v.3 version so it's a non-issue :)

All in all I think these specs are on target with what customers want -- compared to the v.3 we have :

1) Lower FS in stock format

2) Higher motor force

3) Higher thermal power handling (v.3 10/12 use a shorter coil than 15/18 -- v.4 use the same 15/18 coil in all sizes)

4) Higher mechanical power handling and thus more forgiveness of larger boxes (current 10s are very picky on small boxes)

So I think folks will be extremely pleased when these hit the market.

do you have an idea for a price on these yet and also the 12's?

I may put a bit more stiffness into the surrounds as well -- and for the low FS junkies I'll still be able to put on a spider from the "X" line which is one layer fewer than a "Z" line spider. This way the FS won't change so drastically in "stock" format but we can still tailor it in either direction (it would still be lower than the v.3 models, of course, just not such a HUGE change).

I love that Sundown isnt afraid to share design parameters and testing :)

How deep are these things? What about us who are depth limited? They seem suuuper tall.

How deep are these things? What about us who are depth limited? They seem suuuper tall.

Thats what im gonna upgrade to! a single Zv.4 in my extended cab truck! Sundown subs kick ass. With it moving that much air tho i may have to sit in my truck bed and aim it backwards so i can have a little extra boost to my acceleration. :P

triple post FTL!!! if you have a depth issue then of course these arent for you. thats not even a well thought out question.

Those 10" specs look pretty good. Is this with a 4 layer coil?