Sign in to follow this  
edouble101

Looking into bying a new desktop

I have been wanting to buy a new desktop for a while now. I am not a gamer. Other than internet browsing I use numerous photo editing software packages including CS5. 1TB of internal memory is a must. I already have a monitor that I am happy with.

I would like to stay under $500. I have been looking at these two. What do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103411

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883255242&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111912-_-EMC-111912-Index-_-DesktopPCs-_-83255242-L08B

1 TB of HDD space, lol. When you said memory i almost had a stroke!

In all honesty, you could get a computer built for around the same price and have it OC'ed to outperform computers 2-3x the price.

ANY branded Stock clocked computer will not satisfy you for the money if you only knew how much you get with an OC.

You want a workstation computer and workstation computers need to be OC'ed more than any other type of usage out there.

Contrary to belief, gaming computers need not be touched..

Try and find someone who does this kind of thing in your area. I'd do it for you but have never shipped a computer before and feel leary doing it.

I was thinking that with black friday and cyber monday deals I could get a good bargain.

I havent looked into local builders, I should.

Biggest thing you need care with is graphics. The intel one has none and the other desktop has a poop one.

It would be nice to know what software exactly you'd be running besides cs5 or 6. Just for info....

Biggest thing you need care with is graphics. The intel one has none and the other desktop has a poop one.

It would be nice to know what software exactly you'd be running besides cs5 or 6. Just for info....

Other programs: Lightroom 4, Photomatrix Pro, Adobe Elements. There are more but none need the processing powering that CS5 needs.

I realize that a custom built computer maybe better than a built one. I am hoping that I can save a few bucks with upcoming deals.

I should add that Windows 7 or 8 is a bonus, I have Micrsoft Office.

BTW my current system is (Dell) Intel 2.33ghz, 3g ram, 250g hd. About 4 years old.

You will want Intel Core I57 Line 100%

Unfortunately, if you cannot find a tuner, you would really want an I7 and those are not in the ideal $500 budget.

I have successfully OC'ed I5 dual-core to outperform stock I7 quad-core benchmark for benchmark using Photoshop Benchmark.

I5s are cheaper and the overall system should be too.

If you feel like splurging on yourself, you can get 16GB of RAM for under $100 :)

It's DDR3-1600 but after doing lots of research, going any higher in the XMP profile abilities show no immediate performance increase all the way up to DDR3-2200+

If you can figure out a way for me to ship you a computer safely, i'll build it for you.

You know.. now that i think about it.. I wonder if purchasing cases separately come with plenty of foam padding?

IF they do, then i can just add some more for the extra items and BAM! Whole new PC.

If you serious about it, let me know when you want the computer.

I'll start getting a price list of everything and review it to see if it's what you want to pay etc.. then when it's all finalized, we'll buy it all, build it, ship it to you.

Tuning this computer will take about 1-2 weeks FYI.

Once it's done, it will be ready for some db metering... . uh.. sigh.gif I mean performance use. Got confused there, lol.

Unfortunately, if you cannot find a tuner, you would really want an I7 and those are not in the ideal $500 budget.

I have successfully OC'ed I5 dual-core to outperform stock I7 quad-core benchmark for benchmark using Photoshop Benchmark.

If you feel like splurging on yourself, you can get 16GB of RAM for under $100 smile.png

It's DDR3-1600 but after doing lots of research, going any higher in the XMP profile abilities show no immediate performance increase all the way up to DDR3-2200+

If you can figure out a way for me to ship you a computer safely, i'll build it for you.

You know.. now that i think about it.. I wonder if purchasing cases separately come with plenty of foam padding?

IF they do, then i can just add some more for the extra items and BAM! Whole new PC.

I'll start getting a price list of everything and review it to see if it's what you want to pay etc.. then when it's all finalized, we'll buy it all, build it, ship it to you.

Once it's done, it will be ready for some db metering... . uh.. sigh.gif I mean performance use. Got confused there, lol.

don't make the PC louder than your car audio shiz.... I know you like high dbs

Wouldn't it be hilarious if I put a 170dB fan on the processor, lmao..

But seriously, let me know edouble101 so i can prepare to get a price list.

Also, if interested, tell me everything you do NOT need.

If you feel like splurging on yourself, you can get 16GB of RAM for under $100 smile.png

Nice! I honestly I am not that read up on computer hardware but it sounds like I should be before I plunk the cash down an a tower. I will be in contact with you shizzzon, prolly after Christmas since I am going the custom route.

custom build computers are alot cheaper to build then having a store bought one and easier to upgrade over time

custom build computers are alot cheaper to build then having a store bought one and easier to upgrade over time

Hope he bought a PC by now

wow did not notice the date of the post.

I did buy a computer, a laptop. I bought a Vizio CT15-A5. Here are the secs on it:

Screen Size 15.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Processor 2.3 GHz Core i7-3517U
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 256 GB SSD
Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD 4000
Wireless Type 802.11n
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2

Other Technical Details
Brand Name Vizio Series Thin + Light Item model number CT15-A5 Hardware Platform PC
Operating System
Windows 8 Item Weight
3.9 pounds
Item Dimensions L x W x H 14.92 x 9.90 x 0.68 inches
Processor Brand Intel Flash Memory Size 256 Hard Drive Interface Solid State

I am very pleased with my purchase. I could do without Windows 8 though. Also the battery life is short but other than that it is a wonderful laptop. My other choice was a Dell XPS 13 and that was almost $1000 more (I paid a little under $1000 for mine) comparability featured but with a low resolution 13" screen versus this high resolution 15" screen. I was hesitant to buy a Vizio laptop, after all they aren't exactly know for laptops. After owning this one for over a month I highly recommend it to anybody looking for an ultrabook. 

Edited by edouble101

i have a custom watercooling pc.

my spec

amd 1090t overclocked to 4.3ghz

16gb ram

60gb ssd for boot

320gb for programs

1tb for storage of my fraps and what not

420mm radiator

10 fans 5 140mm and 4 120mm and a single 230mm

ati radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 and overclocked.

case/tower xigmatek elysium

for me i don't plan on going windows 8 since i don't see any real benefit over windows 7

and i think that is it for the current specs i will be upgrading more

i can give you a link to a forum i go to so you can see it.

Edited by grumby13

Personally I LOVE Asus, best price to performance ratio out there.

Personally I LOVE Asus, best price to performance ratio out there.

I agree. They have some badass mother boards

i stick with gigabyte no motherboard is better then the other in company wise they are all the same just branded different and the options are different

Go custom and build it. Here's my latest build. The cable management took me like 4 hrs to get right, but in the end its sick fast. Complete with SSD boot drive.

IMG_0401.jpg

Go custom and build it. Here's my latest build. The cable management took me like 4 hrs to get right, but in the end its sick fast. Complete with SSD boot drive.

IMG_0401.jpg

that looks SO CLEAN!

You could take your computer to a car audio show and win just by install, lol.