wannabang

Outfitting a Dorm Room

I'm a student at a university with 100% on-campus residence, and this means we always party in dorms. I've done a few installs in cars, but have decided to work indoors this winter. My roommates and I typically host on weekends, and so far, the roomy's Harmon/Kardon computer speakers + sub have done a decent job, but I think it's time to step it up... and give the little things a break from max volume LOL.

I'd like to know which way I should start looking: PA or home theater speakers. I originally thought two towers (two full-ranges and a tweeter in each) and a sub would do the job well, but I'm not the expert. I've seen places with a few bookshelf speakers and a couple places have a couple PA speakers, and I typically like those parties better since the music's a lot louder. The parties are ragers with not much conversing LOL, and it's typical to be heard across campus (of 2800 students). Don't worry about us disrupting the town, since we're isolated on a hill, it's pretty secluded and don't interrupt the town often.

Feel free to suggest a direction. I can do research for brands and whatnot, but if you wanna throw in your two cents on equipment, do it. As far as the size of the room, think a little bigger than a small apartment's living areas (kitchen + dining room).

Thanks in advance!

I'd probably go pure Crown and probably limit my max power to around 4kw.

Remember i'm crazy....

Basic wiring = 1520A breakers.

You can't run 4kw on single breaker so you must know how all the electrical is ran to what sockets in the main room.

Hopefully there is more than 1 breaker in the same room to achieve high power.

At the same time i say high power, your install needs to be efficient!

You may only need 1-2kw which would still tear the dorm down!

I'd personally find a sub that can be had for cheap and buy an array of them.

Build a MASSIVE enclosure for them...

You may end up with 30-70cuft easy, i do not know how crazy you wanna go.

Give me a budget, room, etc.. I'll see if i can narrow it down for ya.

This kind of build has limits even though u may not see them...

Sean I always think your joking at first. sad.png

Mentioning power first is asinine, and who would give up 30-40 ft^3 in a dorm room? There already tiny.

Listing a budget will help, and don't forget about processing.

Edited by stefanhinote

Me and you think on different goals.

I'm about pure SPL. Most people around me are the same.

If OP isn't, then i can't really help any further.

I'm assuming he is though as he did mention doesn't matter about annoyance...

I know better. I should have posted the budget. Doh.gif I'd like to keep it right around $1k. A little over or under won't hurt me, but it will last me all four years (hopefully), and be able to be used in my own place eventually. It is college, so damage is something to consider. I ain't exactly rich, either LOL so save money where possible, but no skimping...

I'd like the size to be fairly compact, it is a dorm room after all. Maybe the size of a pair of night stands or two PA speakers. I'm comfortable with it being tall enough to put a board on the enclosure for beer pong, if it must be one enclosure, but I'd prefer separate enclosures, so I can tuck them into corners or put them under the bed/desks.

There's three available outlets around the room, but I'm sure the wiring hasn't been upgraded since the building was built in 1880 or whenever. If it means anything, we have the TV, xBox, Refrigerator, two fans, apple tv, N64, a phone and laptop charger, and two desk lights all on one outlet with no issues. adhd.gif

I was looking at speakers and amps from parts-express. If it'd be easier and similar to go PA, I have a friend in the business, so pricing would be nicer, but I'm concerned with PA's low frequency performance... since that's my favorite part. LOL

I don't think Sean's help is irrelevant. Loud is definitely what I'm seeking. Conversation and tea is not to be had while partying. Space and budget are the limiting factors, though.

Edited by wannabang

Me and you think on different goals.

I'm about pure SPL. Most people around me are the same.

If OP isn't, then i can't really help any further.

I'm assuming he is though as he did mention doesn't matter about annoyance...

I'm methodical, and practical.

hmm.. $1k budget and space is limited...

Well, what are you planning on playing? music or movies?

Also, how much space do you have that i can use?

You've really narrowed it down now..

I know better. I should have posted the budget. Doh.gif I'd like to keep it right around $1k. A little over or under won't hurt me, but it will last me all four years (hopefully), and be able to be used in my own place eventually. It is college, so damage is something to consider. I ain't exactly rich, either LOL so save money where possible, but no skimping...

I'd like the size to be fairly compact, it is a dorm room after all. Maybe the size of a pair of night stands or two PA speakers. I'm comfortable with it being tall enough to put a board on the enclosure for beer pong, if it must be one enclosure, but I'd prefer separate enclosures, so I can tuck them into corners or put them under the bed/desks.

There's three available outlets around the room, but I'm sure the wiring hasn't been upgraded since the building was built in 1880 or whenever. If it means anything, we have the TV, xBox, Refrigerator, two fans, apple tv, N64, a phone and laptop charger, and two desk lights all on one outlet with no issues. adhd.gif

I was looking at speakers and amps from parts-express. If it'd be easier and similar to go PA, I have a friend in the business, so pricing would be nicer, but I'm concerned with PA's low frequency performance... since that's my favorite part. LOL

How much space is under your bed? That may be the best way to make use of unused space (dope!), and still end up with a good bit of enclosure volume for the subwoofers.

The larger diameter PA style mids should provide more low frequency output than what your accustomed to seeing in vehicles. 10" cone vs 6.5" cone.

Wouldn't hurt to check out the hometheater shack. Might get a few ideas.

We've already got surround sound for the movies. This is specifically for loud dubstep and rap. Since I'm on break, I can't say exactly how much space there it, but I'll approximate.

A twin XL mattress is 74" long, and since I have my dresser under the bed already, I'd only have about 37" in length to use under the bed. It's 53" wide, so depth would probably be around 45", since I have my golf clubs back there. I'd estimate about 36" in height.

Sean's finding out if he is relevant or not.. LOL Much love, buddy.

Stefan, are you saying I should definitely do a pair of full-range PA speakers, and have a separate subwoofer enclosure? If they can get lower than the stuff I'm used to from door speakers, is there any reason to have a sub?

I would still use a subwoofer(s), but whether you put the subs in an enclosure under the bed, or put them in some towers will depend on volume, and firing orientation.

Large PA mids should have the loudness your after, but whether it'll end up being a two-way or three-way, and what the remaining drivers would be on the top end--I'm not sure.

No idea how that Behringer would sound. It may be loud enough for your small room, but it definitely won't have much sub-bass.

More important question is space. Coffee table if you have couches might be the solution, but no matter what with $1k you should b e able to completely piss off the whole dorm.

If your overall goal is loudness over sound quality, then stick to a PA system. Carvin is the brand I tend to go to. They have some package systems that are a balance of loud/SQ, and have multiple inputs so if you have a friend who has DJ gear, they can plug into your mixer, and then the next night your guitar friend can plug in and jam out as well.

You can always add a sub-stage after you get the volume you need for parties.

If you want sound quality that gets loud, I would recommend building your own HT speakers. I built a pair of bookshelf speakers that I was planning on using just for my computer. They were supposed to only handle 50 watts. I haven't clamped them but my amplifier is capable of producing much more, and I have never experienced a more full sound from a system without a sub. They fill the entire house with quality sound at about a quarter volume, and fit on my desk. plus they only cost abour $150 for the pair.

PA speakers sound like the route I'm going to go, unless this HT system could potentially give me the volume I'm after for cheaper. I like building enclosures, so the sub stage might be a summer project. I remember reading something about HT setups with sealed sub boxes, and all I know is ported. What would be preferable for me?

I do have a friend who is a DJ and I do have a couch.

HT setups can have both Ported and Sealed enclosures for the sub stage, and the full range. It really depends on the room and the sound desired.

From what I am reading, I would recommend doing a PA setup. It sounds like you want to have fun with volume. Start with a mixer and build from there. Go to Carvins web page. US made sold directly from Carvin and you will be surprised with the prices. I just found out they have a EQ/Crossover/Signal Processor/USB controlled awesomeness for $380.

Make sure the mixer you get has a sub stage out, and then you can add that once you get it built.

Last system I helped with for a dorm room used a set of knock-off Adire HE10s for the top and an Earthquake Magma 15 on the bottom with a plate amp. Everything including a reciever was well under $1K. It was very loud.

I have the HE10 and HE12 plans in PDF if you want them....

HT setups can have both Ported and Sealed enclosures for the sub stage, and the full range. It really depends on the room and the sound desired.

From what I am reading, I would recommend doing a PA setup. It sounds like you want to have fun with volume. Start with a mixer and build from there. Go to Carvins web page. US made sold directly from Carvin and you will be surprised with the prices. I just found out they have a EQ/Crossover/Signal Processor/USB controlled awesomeness for $380.

Make sure the mixer you get has a sub stage out, and then you can add that once you get it built.

Thanks for the advice on the path. Now that I know where to start and have decided on what route to take. I think I'm ready to plan/shop.

Honda, you can send it to me. Can't be completely irrelevant.

If y'all aren't already out for Black Friday shopping, what would you think of this. I feel like these towers are more practical. Would they still get loud enough paired with the linked receiver? I'm trying to take advantage of the deals tonight.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+Icon+Dual+8%22+2-Way+Floor+Speaker+%28Each%29/2138273.p?id=1218310758886&skuId=2138273&st=Thanksgiving_Day_Sale_2012_Home_Theater_70411&cp=1&lp=1#tab=overview

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+735W+7.1-Ch.+3D+Pass-Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/2023351.p?id=1218305997984&skuId=2023351&st=2023351&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications

M5, are you saying the PA system will be that much better for what I'm looking for? I'm thinking the towers will be more realistic after college. Met someone at the store when I bought them who owns them and said they'd be real loud for a dorm room, whatever "real loud" means. Just looking for other applications for what I'm buying other than just partying, since I don't see a PA system having any other practical uses for me.

Thoughts?

8 pairs of those won't be as loud as some PA gear. Personally I think they don't sound very good either. Absolutely a terrible budget point to be buying speakers at. WAY, WAY, WAY better off hitting Craigslist if you truly only want to spend $230 on speakers.

We regularly threw parties with over 300 people paying when I went to school. Without my pa gear it flat out wouldn't have worked.

Of course, you may be deceiving us with your goals which won't help us help you pick. Either way those speakers are crap.

Our parties definitely don't have 300 people, but you're definitely making me reconsider. Just had to jump on them while they were cheaper, just in case. I'm talking to a friend of mine later today, he's a guitarist with a music shop, so I'll see what he has in store.

Gracias, M5

I wouldn't choose those klipsch over PA speakers if you want loudness.

I've had the klipsch RF82, which maybe aren't made for loudness, but im sure they are louder then the ones you listed and even cheap PA systems are louder.

If you want loud you can look at cerwin vega or JBL.(although i don't know pricing .)

Edited by kirill007