Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

My batteries are paralleled WITHOUT being connected

So, I figured this should be in the Advanced topic section because unless i'm the first with XS Wireless batteries, something abnormal is happening here.

I've been testing and noticing some odd readings last night but i'll leave that aside for now...

The new reading i got today was just flat out impossible-

I have 1 12v battery sitting here. IT HAS NOTHING connected to it's positive terminal! Nothing is touching it, ran to it, etc.

The ground terminal is paralleled with 11 other batteries.

I set meter to Ohms. Probe the Positive terminal to the battery that has nothing on it.

The other probe is ran to the Positive terminal to the next closest battery that is paralleled via Ground.

Ohm reading- 0.0 ohms!

Explain how this is possible.

Again, i am getting a dead short reading from probing 2 positive terminals on 2 different batteries but there is NOTHING connecting the two together.

In hopes that this is figured out may lead to other things in the setup being resolved.

DC system..power comes from your ground.

If you actually had a dead short..you wouldn't be typing right now as the meter would have exploded in your hand, the battery bank would have exploded as well, and your car would be burnt to the ground.

so you are saying because the ground is paralleled, it's influencing the power terminals being connected together without being connected?

ps. what are you doing checking resistance from positive to negative anyhow? you should never do that..the only time you test resistance across something his hot to hot, or ground to ground.

No, i am checking from POSITIVE TO POSITIVE.

It's getting a reading of 0.0ohms when they are NOT connected.

No material is touching either terminal, no insulator, nothing, nada..

Only AIR is touching them

..because of the ground homie :)

if you had an actual short, you wouldn't be here right now

the only time you need to check any sort of resistance is on the ground side of things to confirm that you have a solid grounding spot, which you simply use continuity..checking resistance across the hot side of the battery is going to do you absolutely nothing

Ok then.. i'll tell you this as this is what started everything-

I have 12 batteries-

They are separated in sets of three by using fuse blocks.

So batt 1-3 is paralleled, 4-6 is paralleled, etc...

Batt 3 runs to a fuse block then out to batt 4 and so on.

There are NO fuses in these blocks right now.

Why is it when i probe the First block, i get 65ohms. (batt 3-4)

When i probe Second block, i get 95ohms (batt 6-7)

I havent connected fuse block 3 yet(batt 9-10).

So.. why would that ohm value be present without a fuse?

That is what has got be concerned.

Definitely shouldn't be checking any sort of resistance on the hot sides of the battery, it's irrelevant.

Parallel, is parallel. Beings that you are using wire and jumping things instead of buss bars, yes you will have more resistance present.

So long as you hook the hot to the hot and the ground to the ground you have nothing to be concerned about.

You could have different resistance of the alloy that is made up of the fuse block and it's reading the resistance of the fuse that is inside of your meter and varying a bit. Either way..hook hot to hot, ground to ground.

The only thing that you could/should be concerned about resistance wise is the resistance of the ground plane to the battery bank itself because that is where your power comes from. Without ground, you have no power. If you short it, it will glow like the sun and take your hands with it.

Hope that helps smile.png

And this has nothing to do with troubleshooting, i was talking with someone about this last night and did it again this morning to confirm what i was seeing was true-

When using the Ohm setting, polarity is pointless unlike when testing for voltage, etc..

Well, i do not know if my meter is Super smart or coincidentally downright stupid, but this is something else i've noticed-

For kicks- I probe the power and ground terminal of an amp that is not connected to a battery yet.

I put pos probe in power, neg probe in ground, it reads 0L like it should.

If i put pos probe in Ground terminal and neg probe in Power terminal, it reads -0.00ohms

This reading is lower than touching probes together, BUT, what's interesting is the - sign next to it.

I didn't know meters knew polarity differences when using ohm setting.

Definitely shouldn't be checking any sort of resistance on the hot sides of the battery, it's irrelevant.

Parallel, is parallel. Beings that you are using wire and jumping things instead of buss bars, yes you will have more resistance present.

So long as you hook the hot to the hot and the ground to the ground you have nothing to be concerned about.

You could have different resistance of the alloy that is made up of the fuse block and it's reading the resistance of the fuse that is inside of your meter and varying a bit. Either way..hook hot to hot, ground to ground.

The only thing that you could/should be concerned about resistance wise is the resistance of the ground plane to the battery bank itself because that is where your power comes from. Without ground, you have no power. If you short it, it will glow like the sun and take your hands with it.

Hope that helps smile.png

Well, that's sounds true. Backfeeding through the meter.

I can say i have no continuity from any power to ground sources yet, lol.

so far so good.

..you're running power through it at that point that's why it's doing it, if it actually ran current through it the meter would explode.

trust me, been there done that one on the magnetizer, i wanted to change over to DC from AC where the meter was and just spun the dial, it never dawned on me that the meter went from DC, to Ohms, to AC..

When I rotated the dial down i got to the first two ohms settings and then i got to MoHm...and it went WHAP BOOOOOOOOOOM.

1200 volts, 36,000 amps..you do the math..

made plasma that day :D, thank god it didn't kill me.

Well, this has made a good convo for future reference.

Thanks, man.

Hard to understand what u said but the first few that hooked up were .68 ohms or something. And the last one was zero? I'd assume it was zero because it wasn't hooked up.

Sean smokes too much crack. End of story.

Hard to understand what u said but the first few that hooked up were .68 ohms or something. And the last one was zero? I'd assume it was zero because it wasn't hooked up.

It should be infinite ;)

Zero means short circuit.

Infinite means open circuit.

Everyone is making this extremely overcomplicated...

Batteries have Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR). That is what you have been messing with...

It should be infinite ;)/>

Zero means short circuit.

Infinite means open circuit.

I've yet to see a meter say infinite when on the resistance setting.

Everyone is making this extremely overcomplicated...

Batteries have Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR). That is what you have been messing with...

He said the one reading zero isn't hooked to the others. If I understood correctly he put one lead on the positive of the one not hooked up and put the other lead on a group that was hooked together. His reading was zero. I'd assume its zero due to the two not being connected.

Batteries will never be completely open unless they are broken. Most often, the higher quality and high capacity batteries have exrtremely low ESR.

Shizzon-

1. Draw a schematic diagram on paper of your battery bank.

2. Replace the battery drawings with resistors to represent ESR.

3. Now you will see why you are reading continuity from battery to battery.

Now you cannot measure the ESR of a single battery with a DMM because the voltage potential from + to - post will damage the meter or severly throw off the reading. It is working in your case because you have removed the voltage potential because you are going across both positive terminals (there is no potential between +12 and +12, so no current flow). you are actually measuring the combined ESR of both batteries. There may be a small amount of voltage potential that is throwing your readings off due to the different float level of the batteries.