Sign in to follow this  
1two3

will my system be getting enough power?

equip.

dont have yet:

either a fosgate t1500 or t1000 (leaning more to the 1500)

fosgate t400.4

XS D5100R

Pioneer 9500bhs h/u

knu 1/0 all around

Have:

JBL GTO's 6.5 full range speakers

1 15" SSA XCON

2000 Honda CR-V

my question is:

i have a stock alternator. i just found out today honda says it will put out 65A. is my alternator going to be able to support this system? if not how big of an alternator do i need to get? asuming big 3 and battery are installed. i wont be listening to it full blast all the time. this is a daily driver.

65 amps seems pretty low. you can upgrade your main battery, extra battery and do big 3 while setting gains right and see how it does

i was hoping not to add an extra battery. with the box i want i dont even think i could fit one in the back. Autozone has a duralast 95A alt for like 150. if i put that in and if i only blast it some of the time it cant be THAT bad right?

Do you plan to upgrade power later? If so how much? I'd say first get a better alt. I don't know how reliable that alt is from autozone. Try and get a quote from Tenney, Singer, DC Power and others to find a known quality alt. Try the alt with the stock batt and big 3 done first. Find out the voltage drop if any and if your not happy then think about an extra batt. I don't see you having to go with a huge battery in the back if need be.

i doubt i will add any more power after this. i think this will be the final system for me.......thats what i say now anyways. ill send them an email...do any of them do alts in the 100-150 range?

With the t1500 and the t400.4 your current draw @13.5v would be around 140 amps. That doesn't include any stock components. I would go with a larger alternator if it were me.

Edited by BrutalBasser

I have no idea. If your lookin at a low budget like that try singer and tenney. DC is more expensive. Hey we all say this is it but then you get addicted and want more lol.

I'd say at least a 150a alt

lol yea its almost inevitable. what about if i use the t1000 instead?

That wwould definitely take strain off alt.

lol yea its almost inevitable. what about if i use the t1000 instead?

That wwould definitely take strain off alt.

36 or 37 amps worth? I would just go with the t1500 because you are still going to have to upgrade your electrical either way.

Edited by BrutalBasser

k so, i realized i dont have the money right now for upgrades to run the amps i want. so how about this senario......i forget about the t400.4 for now and the t1500 and t1000, and just get a t500 and sllloowwwly upgrade things as i go. will my system be fine for a t500 amp? i figure ill probably see some lights dimming but it should be fine right? again its a 65A alt.

what about the t1000 on either the stock alt or i found a 110 amp one from napa that might work for now atleast. and no 4channel untill i do the big alt upgrade.

You can get both amps and just keep the gain down on them. Just becabuse you have thEyre rated for x watts doesn't mean you have to wuse it all. If it's a d2 xcon you can even run it at 4 ohms if you like until you get bigger alt.

yea i got the d2. pardon my ignorance but running at 4 ohms will use less power but also give out less right?

k so, i realized i dont have the money right now for upgrades to run the amps i want. so how about this senario......i forget about the t400.4 for now and the t1500 and t1000, and just get a t500 and sllloowwwly upgrade things as i go. will my system be fine for a t500 amp? i figure ill probably see some lights dimming but it should be fine right? again its a 65A alt.

Here is how you figure out if you have enough power. Ohm's law is very simple to understand and apply. For the amount of current you will be drawing for any application you divide your total wattage by your idle voltage. For instance for the 500 watt amp, take 500/13.5=37 amps. That is assuming 13.5 is idle voltage, to figure out exactly what yours is, use a DMM to test voltage with rpm's at idle directly at your battery. Hope this helps you to find solutions on your own and gain just a little knowledge while you're at it. Study and review ohm's law so you can find solutions to just about any electrical dilemma.

it amazes me that ppl dont know about these batteries

http://www.oreillyau...N2493&ppt=C2389

i was hoping not to add an extra battery. with the box i want i dont even think i could fit one in the back. Autozone has a duralast 95A alt for like 150. if i put that in and if i only blast it some of the time it cant be THAT bad right?

there is always room to be made.

All i read was 'i dont think i could '

they dont make one of those for my car...im asuming its supposed to be a secondary battery?

Thats a fleet size Group 31 and is not a AGM battery anyway. I run those in my work trucks. You dont want that, if you want a large cheap AGM look at Sams. They have the large Deka rebadge group 31's there. That size will need to be a extra battery for the rear. If you want the best battery under 300 bucks get the Die Hard Platinums from Sears. Group 31 for the rear or group 34 for under hood.

they dont make one of those for my car...im asuming its supposed to be a secondary battery?

Thats a fleet size Group 31 and is not a AGM battery anyway. I run those in my work trucks. You dont want that, if you want a large cheap AGM look at Sams. They have the large Deka rebadge group 31's there. That size will need to be a extra battery for the rear. If you want the best battery under 300 bucks get the Die Hard Platinums from Sears. Group 31 for the rear or group 34 for under hood.

Great thanks. ill have to do some figureing out first tho, im just not sure what i want/can afford right now :/

Here is how you figure out if you have enough power. Ohm's law is very simple to understand and apply. For the amount of current you will be drawing for any application you divide your total wattage by your idle voltage. For instance for the 500 watt amp, take 500/13.5=37 amps. That is assuming 13.5 is idle voltage, to figure out exactly what yours is, use a DMM to test voltage with rpm's at idle directly at your battery. Hope this helps you to find solutions on your own and gain just a little knowledge while you're at it. Study and review ohm's law so you can find solutions to just about any electrical dilemma.

thanks for the help. good news. i hooked it up to a DMM and found out that normal charging voltage is around 14.2 with that a,c and all the lights on it only drops down to 14.1. so far lookin pritty good.