Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

As my tires alone are 1200 bucks I'm not sure what dollar I should settle for. Do they even count "aftermarket" upgrades?

249xxx but new engine at 180, e-fan, tires, and a DVD system built into the truck for the back seats. And my 880prs lol.

I guess the general rule is if they total it I get either 100% of the "value" or 80% and the truck back.

Aftermarket pieces are considered accessories and add no value to the vehicle unless you had it appraised and insured for a specific value.  They will use bank loan value and the market price of similar vehicles to determine your value.  Wear items like tires, hell, even if you just spent $5K on a new engine, will add zero value.   PErsonally, I'd get what money you can, buy it back and just use it as a beater or part it out. 

jh_pic_090501_DrumRoll.jpg

The Expedition is now in the hands of the total claim dept.

Waaawaaaawaaaaaaaaaaa

Guess the body shop guys got the car and were like "FUCK THIS SHIT, YO"

He had what I thought of as an optimistic cost of 2500-3000 as the absolute top cost. But 9 days to complete. Meaning I have the rental until the 29th.

Do you have a list of everything they were going to do? 

And again, Sean beats me to the punch.

So the other Mark I bought had a fucked up headliner.  They had an aftermarket sunroof installed and when they put the headliner back in, they glued the entire thing in place.  So, once it started deteriorating, it was a fucking mess.  I literally had to flake the shit off just to get back to a starting point.  So I had another headliner sitting around from another car with a moonroof.   It needed some work, so I've been glassing over some spots and trimming where needed.  Last night we got rain and I left the damn thing under the car last night while the resin cured and now the whole thing is a wet messy glob is fiberglass.  Fuck me.  Now I have to make an entire headliner from scratch.

And thank you TRW for fucking up my A-arm order. 

So what do they look at then? They said they have to use "comparables" . I found one EB 1997 with the 5.4 within 100 miles at 5750. It has about 70k less miles though.

So the other Mark I bought had a fucked up headliner. They had an aftermarket sunroof installed and when they put the headliner back in, they glued the entire thing in place. So, once it started deteriorating, it was a fucking mess. I literally had to flake the shit off just to get back to a starting point. So I had another headliner sitting around from another car with a moonroof. It needed some work, so I've been glassing over some spots and trimming where needed. Last night we got rain and I left the damn thing under the car last night while the resin cured and now the whole thing is a wet messy glob is fiberglass. Fuck me. Now I have to make an entire headliner from scratch.

Yuk.

No bueno

I can just imagine this rolling into the shop.

"I need an alignment!"

*all technicians in the shop flee*

H2MdYYN.jpg?1

As my tires alone are 1200 bucks I'm not sure what dollar I should settle for. Do they even count "aftermarket" upgrades?

249xxx but new engine at 180, e-fan, tires, and a DVD system built into the truck for the back seats. And my 880prs lol.

I guess the general rule is if they total it I get either 100% of the "value" or 80% and the truck back.

Aftermarket pieces are considered accessories and add no value to the vehicle unless you had it appraised and insured for a specific value. They will use bank loan value and the market price of similar vehicles to determine your value. Wear items like tires, hell, even if you just spent $5K on a new engine, will add zero value. PErsonally, I'd get what money you can, buy it back and just use it as a beater or part it out.

Yup. Probably going to be a beater or parted. I bet I could score 2k in parts without working too hard.

:-)

Also nice to have for trips to home depot, etc etc.

So what do they look at then? They said they have to use "comparables" . I found one EB 1997 with the 5.4 within 100 miles at 5750. It has about 70k less miles though.

They probably won't.  You may be stuck with loan value if there is any, or they may do a combination of NADA and KBB.

I cannot believe how nervous I am about negotiating with the insurance company. I negotiate for a living.

:(

They probably won't. You may be stuck with loan value if there is any, or they may do a combination of NADA and KBB.

No loan....too bad, should have leveraged 30k on it the day before huh?

:)

They made such a stink about NOT using KBB because of MN law. Literally tried to joke with me too, "KBB never sold a car you know? Hahahahahahaha..."

Weirdos. And fuckers.

Yeah, personally, I hate KBB anyways.  It's just some made up bullshit for marketing, but we won't touch on that.

Anyway, thanks for all the info guys. I'm completely out of my element.

Last time this happened I was 19 and a 1500 crushed my Jetta backing into it, and they sided with him. I was at fault, almost the same circumstances but I was young and he called a lawyer.

I cannot believe how nervous I am about negotiating with the insurance company. I negotiate for a living.

sad.png

They give you an offer first. No need to be nervous. And you won't like it. They will search for comparables and pick the shittiest one. I'd be expecting something in the 3's, maybe less. They will rape you on the miles.

Of course if they took it you should already know as they'd have to give you an idea to total it. What were the estimates? You'll get less than that. sad.png

Of course if they took it you should already know as they'd have to give you an idea to total it. What were the estimates? You'll get less than that. sad.png

The guy at the shop said 2500-3000 max without being able to see if there is frame/a pillar damage.

I'm not making a lot of money at this store... But god damn some of the women are beautiful.