Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

The chromatic aberration on that lens is awful....you need lightroom

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

Use the 2 second delay on a tripod and shut off the vibration compensation

What does VR do to affect images? I don't have the slightest clue how it works.

I have a cheesy $10 6 inch tripod right now, so I am limited.

All magsloaded and ready to rock. As I am loading the AR mags all 12 of them the wife looks at me and says I think you have a problem. I said no I am fully prepared to give someone a problem. She rolls her eyes at me, we will see who shoots more tomorrow. I bet she does.

1 hour ago, sandt38 said:

What does VR do to affect images? I don't have the slightest clue how it works.

I have a cheesy $10 6 inch tripod right now, so I am limited.

It compenaates for vibration which means when the ahutter fires on a tripod it moves tbe lens to deal with the vibe....blurri g the pic

You guys are killing me with all this lens talk! 

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

5" would be enough.

That's not what she said.

2016-05-14_zpsz0ppd8ne.jpg

After 6 years of riding around with some sort of unfinished dash, I finally fixed it up. I do need to find the bezel for the H701.

The mount is much larger than expected. When the phone is mounted the gear shifter gets really close to the phone but doesn't hit it in any position. 

Dont need such a robust mount for the car.  I caught a good 8' of air today with mine in my handlebars

Starting to feel comfortable on a bike again.  Fat tires are a hoot

2 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Dont need such a robust mount for the car.  I caught a good 8' of air today with mine in my handlebars

The problem I have with mounts is everyone makes suction cup versions. What I wanted/needed is something I could mount to a solid flat surface. I had looked at proclip but they don't have anything universal and most other companies universal stuff looks like crap.

Not that the environments are very similar, but I thought it would be a good place to try out the X-grip and see if I liked it.

Of course my shifting on my bike got all fuxored. I don't think that the shifter itself if working correctly. Unfortunately I can only get the bike to shift into the 1st and 2nd sprockets on the front.

Will have to fix that before I invest in a phone mount for my bike.

What do you guys photograph at? I have been shooting in fine mode but just shot some raw fine tonight. First image in a black room 30 seconds, with no manipulation. Second was same settings with a quick flash from a pocket LED light to try to gain some image of the tube detail...

and photobucket goes down for maint while I am loading. I'll post tomorrow.

4 hours ago, MKader17 said:

The problem I have with mounts is everyone makes suction cup versions. What I wanted/needed is something I could mount to a solid flat surface. I had looked at proclip but they don't have anything universal and most other companies universal stuff looks like crap.

Not that the environments are very similar, but I thought it would be a good place to try out the X-grip and see if I liked it.

I'd hate it in a car.  Takes too long to put it in and out and the thing is HUGE, but on a bike it is 100% necessary when you ride off road.

4 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Of course my shifting on my bike got all fuxored. I don't think that the shifter itself if working correctly. Unfortunately I can only get the bike to shift into the 1st and 2nd sprockets on the front.

Will have to fix that before I invest in a phone mount for my bike.

You already have the phone mount, the bike adapter portion is like $3

I only run one sprocket in the front, my days of front derailleurs are over.  2 is monstrous overkill, 3 retarded.  Either way, should be an easy fix as front derailleurs are simple.  Is the detent gone or what is it doing?

4 hours ago, sandt38 said:

What do you guys photograph at? I have been shooting in fine mode but just shot some raw fine tonight. First image in a black room 30 seconds, with no manipulation. Second was same settings with a quick flash from a pocket LED light to try to gain some image of the tube detail...

and photobucket goes down for maint while I am loading. I'll post tomorrow.

Sort of defeats the purpose on an SLR to shoot at anything other than full raw.  ie, all 24.2 in your case.  

You also really NEED raw.  The chromatic aberration, lens distortion and white balance are something I'd personally want to fix on the shots you've shown.  All are nearly automatic in light room.   And no, they won't all need to be always done on every shot.

You are starting to see why the body is the last thing you need to worry about.

Case and point cell phones.  The pixel race is retarded as the lenses are injection molded out of plastic.  Why is this important?  Because imagine a defect on a full frame lens and sensor.  Now shrink the sensor in half (mirrorless) and the lens defects also must shrink in half to only have the same effect making manufacturing way more difficult.  Now shrink that even further and the process gets harder.  It becomes REALLY easy to have a sensor that over resolves what the lens can.  Your camera does this to your stock lenses easily.  Even worse on the level of shit you can carry in your pocket.

The test work on each optic that goes into the big 3 phone manufacturers I am rather familiar with...as in we designed it.  Can also say the same for the flatness measurements on some lenses that make either Canon or Nikon SLR look like the plastic pieces of crap that are in cell phones.

In an SLR you buy a lens to keep and use, body to get a temporary job done.

I hate camera review websites if you can't tell.  Hype all the wrong things.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

You already have the phone mount, the bike adapter portion is like $3

I only run one sprocket in the front, my days of front derailleurs are over.  2 is monstrous overkill, 3 retarded.  Either way, should be an easy fix as front derailleurs are simple.  Is the detent gone or what is it doing?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AM4THC6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463314985&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=ram+mount+bike&dpPl=1&dpID=41cM1YIn2jL&ref=plSrch

I planned on grabbing this one for the bike. It is a lot lower profile.

As far as shifting. It feels like the shifter is not returning to its lowest position. This seems to be confirmed by the indicator.

This may be a bad explanation but, I used to have 3 "full" shifts. Now the first shift only does a half shift, which doesn't move the derailleur hardly at all.

When I shift all the way though it obvious the derailleur is not moving far enough to engage all three.

8 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Purchased some powerblock dumbells.

Well worth it.

We bought a dumbell rack back in 1999 5-150 lb with the rack for $.22 a lb, now weights are $1 per lb. Must be the new gold.

F11, 30 sec in a black room

smDSC_0087_zpsehqm2xs2.jpg

F5.6, 30 sec, quick flash early in the exposure with an LED pocket light.

smDSC_0088_zps72pgp97g.jpg

1 hour ago, nem said:

We bought a dumbell rack back in 1999 5-150 lb with the rack for $.22 a lb, now weights are $1 per lb. Must be the new gold.

Basically 5-90 pounds form <$550.

Another $300 (before my hommie hook up) to get to 125.

What do you use the 150 dumbell for?

12 hours ago, nem said:

All magsloaded and ready to rock. As I am loading the AR mags all 12 of them the wife looks at me and says I think you have a problem. I said no I am fully prepared to give someone a problem. She rolls her eyes at me, we will see who shoots more tomorrow. I bet she does.

I jut bought 14 Gen 2 Magpuls loaded with Federäl green tips.  You just made me realize my home is soon becoming an ammo stash.

Does the camera have flash? Try putting a whit paper in front of the light source and see what that does.