Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

If I eat fillet I like bernaise.

Filet well done is probably the worst mistake ever. Not saying you make that...

For instance, this is already ruined and nearly inedible.

finishedFilet.jpg

And you know that Bernaise is NOT steak sauce. Steak sauce is some bullshit that morons buy labeled A1 or H57 or whatever the fuck. Used as a marinade by the lazy on something other than beef I can understand, but you know I wasn't excluding the use of mother sauces. They have their place, but that place is well defined in culinary history.

Quit burning the steaks Mikey! My 14 yo daughter won't even eat over medium rare.

It was just a little well done :D
Seriously you turned that into dog food.
I always cook steaks well done usually too, but he deffinetly cooked it to far
Why? It is not for flavor or moisture lol. I wouldn't even do that to hamburger. Pointless to eat a steak like that.Bet you use steak sauce too, lol.
Sometimes depending on the charcoal flavor..lol
Charcoal flavor? 1st rule of grilling. Briquettes should NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER be used. YUCK.1st rule of steak. Steak sauce is never needed. If you think you need it or it improves it in any way it means you fucked up the steak.

Its why I cook on gas. Still need to master my grill more than I have.

As for the steak sauce, I only use it when eating cheap steaks, or eating them often.

Ie. Surf and turf night in Iraq. Steak sauce was a requirement for those shitty t bones; when buying a shit ton of steak for dinners while training. The sauce helps create some variety in flavor.

J

/\ seeing a medium to medium well filet makes me cry. The less fat in a piece of meat the less you can cook it.

If I eat fillet I like bernaise.

Filet well done is probably the worst mistake ever. Not saying you make that...For instance, this is already ruined and nearly inedible.finishedFilet.jpgAnd you know that Bernaise is NOT steak sauce. Steak sauce is some bullshit that morons buy labeled A1 or H57 or whatever the fuck. Used as a marinade by the lazy on something other than beef I can understand, but you know I wasn't excluding the use of mother sauces. They have their place, but that place is well defined in culinary history.

Ok why is it almost inedible, and what would right look like

J

The arrow was to the medium well steak I threw up as a pic, not referencing J's post.

Although I suspect his need for sauce was not only Grade D "edible" meat but also the fact that it was monstrously overcooked.

And WTF is bernaise?

J

The arrow was to the medium well steak I threw up as a pic, not referencing J's post.Although I suspect his need for sauce was not only Grade D "edible" meat but also the fact that it was monstrously overcooked.

Fucked up thing is to most people and most resturants that is medium rare since it is still red.

And grade D is generous Sean. Convicts often have more edible food than we got. Also, overcooked is an understatement from hell. Considering that it was a deployment, I was happy to be fortunate enough to be on a big Camp, safe (usually), and well fed.

J

Ok why is it almost inedible, and what would right look like

Because it is medium well and therefore dry as fucking shit.

Medium rare is the MOST you should cook a filet. I'd prefer much less cooked than this, but this is a reasonable rendition of medium rare

filet-mignon.jpg

And WTF is bernaise?

J

Seriously? Look up "Mother Sauces" and realize that fundamentally until you master those in the kitchen you should not use any other "sauce"

I can certainly see the differences and agree the second pic does look right. Upon re-looking at the 1st pic by comparison, I see the differences.

J

The arrow was to the medium well steak I threw up as a pic, not referencing J's post.Although I suspect his need for sauce was not only Grade D "edible" meat but also the fact that it was monstrously overcooked.

Fucked up thing is to most people and most resturants that is medium rare since it is still red.

And grade D is generous Sean. Convicts often have more edible food than we got. Also, overcooked is an understatement from hell. Considering that it was a deployment, I was happy to be fortunate enough to be on a big Camp, safe (usually), and well fed.

J

You live in the South. That is not medium rare lol. Medium rare actually has NOTHING to do with color, but everything to do with temperature.

This is still medium rare, but it is almost rare. It might have been okay, but they didn't let it rest and you can see the temperature differential pulling the moisture right out of the meat

Robert-s-Steakhouse-Filet-Black-and-Blue

That steak at least has a proper crust and was finished at a reasonable temperature. Notice the lack of "gray" near the browned portion? Any penetration of gray and you've fucked up. Not easy...

That isn't a great example but you get the idea.

The 2nd pic and method, but cooked for about 30% less would have been perfect. It is a very well executed cook, but just went too far as it is edging on medium.

And yes, I am basing this on how it looks not just color. If the photographer cheated and misted it with moisture he'd be deceiving me...

If you look at the successive pictures you can see that the moisture is cooked right out of the meat the more it is cooked. On a steak with minimal fat that is super dangerous as you end up with tasteless, dry and boring.

And WTF is bernaise?J

Seriously? Look up "Mother Sauces" and realize that fundamentally until you master those in the kitchen you should not use any other "sauce"

Looking it up, I can see why it does not ring a bell at first. I do not enjoy cream or cream-ish sauces, nor seafood (I mention that as most of the other sauces reference it).

I have horrible tastes in a lot of food, but am at least moving away from shit foods.

J

If you have a problem with red flesh, turn down the lights, and don't look at it. My wife grew up on a dairy farm where they cooked the fuck out of everything. First steak I ever made for her looked like the last one. I had candles positioned carefully and barely so she couldn't see it. She was raving about the meat. After about 3 raves I stood up and turned on the light and she started to gag.

The next day she thanked me. Since then she has never reverted to anything more than medium rare.

And yes, I am basing this on how it looks not just color. If the photographer cheated and misted it with moisture he'd be deceiving me...If you look at the successive pictures you can see that the moisture is cooked right out of the meat the more it is cooked. On a steak with minimal fat that is super dangerous as you end up with tasteless, dry and boring.

In order to better understand the better way to cook meat, what methods do you recommend with steak on a gas grill?

J

And WTF is bernaise?J

Looking it up, I can see why it does not ring a bell at first. I do not enjoy cream or cream-ish sauces, nor seafood (I mention that as most of the other sauces reference it).

I have horrible tastes in a lot of food, but am at least moving away from shit foods.

J

Garbage versions of good food will still be garbage. All of the above done right will make you want more.

I have got a knot on my head and I have no clue where ot came from....

And yes, I am basing this on how it looks not just color. If the photographer cheated and misted it with moisture he'd be deceiving me...If you look at the successive pictures you can see that the moisture is cooked right out of the meat the more it is cooked. On a steak with minimal fat that is super dangerous as you end up with tasteless, dry and boring.

In order to better understand the better way to cook meat, what methods do you recommend with steak on a gas grill?

J

Until you can pan roast successfully you should avoid the grill.

To answer your question though, fundamentally this is the method.

Get your grill as hot as it can get. Realistically this may take an hour on preheat or the hottest setting. The other realistic bummer is that this is still probably not hot enough to properly cook a steak unless it is charcoal. I have a $10,000 Lynx grill and anything less than an hour and it is NOWHERE near hot enough.

Sear for 30 seconds, rotate to get cross marks and more carmelization and sear that for 30 seconds. Flip, sear for 30 seconds.

Turn the grill to its lowest setting, open the top and put the steak on the last of the cross hatch sides on the grill. Once the grill has dropped below 350F you can lower the lid again.

Use an instant read thermometer and pull the steak off when it hits 105F (perhaps more if it is thicker but never more than 115F). Loosely tent the steak with tinfoil on a warm (or at least insulated read plastic) plate. Let it rest for ten minutes. If it climbs to over 125F you took it off too late. This is for medium rare. For a Filet that is really overcooked, but about ideal for a ribeye as there is more fat in the ribeye.

And WTF is bernaise?J

J

It is going to take more years off your life eating that way than smoking will. Seriously, stop TODAY.

If you have a problem with red flesh, turn down the lights, and don't look at it. My wife grew up on a dairy farm where they cooked the fuck out of everything. First steak I ever made for her looked like the last one. I had candles positioned carefully and barely so she couldn't see it. She was raving about the meat. After about 3 raves I stood up and turned on the light and she started to gag.The next day she thanked me. Since then she has never reverted to anything more than medium rare.

Actually I only order steak rare. The Redder the flesh the tastier. Just needs to be warm and still moist (Giggitty). Most other people I know what medium or medium well.

Also as for the south comment, Tampa isn't really the south. Yes, it is in the southern part of the country, but it is. Not like Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina. Honestly, it reminds me of a Sandy humid Syracuse (God it pains me to say that). No food group it does especially well (minus seafood as it is usually caught that morning, and cooked that evening), but nothing that is completely fucked up wrong per se. You do get what you pay for around here, and I have only found 2 BBQ places I thought did BBQ justice, and one is a chain.

J

A cast iron pan that you brown on UBER high on your cooktop on both sides then plop into a 300-350F oven is much easier to control.

Also, if you don't start with a near room temperature steak you are fucked from the get go. Just put it on the counter from the FRIDGE (ie not freezer) for an hour before you start. If you don't do this there is absolutely no hope of getting it to work right.

One other comment. A steak with minimal fat needs help in that domain. Don't use only oil, but 50% butter to improve the maillard reaction.

As with ANY protein that you cook you need to DRY it VERY thoroughly first. Water will stick/burn versus brown. Ruins everthing. A good thing to practice this browning technique on are scallops as they should be eaten pretty much raw on th e inside and uber browned on the outside. To do this they have to be EXTREMELY dry, room temp and you need a hot ass pan that doesn't flash the butter.

In order to better understand the better way to cook meat, what methods do you recommend with steak on a gas grill?J
Until you can pan roast successfully you should avoid the grill.To answer your question though, fundamentally this is the method.Get your grill as hot as it can get. Realistically this may take an hour on preheat or the hottest setting. The other realistic bummer is that this is still probably not hot enough to properly cook a steak unless it is charcoal. I have a $10,000 Lynx grill and anything less than an hour and it is NOWHERE near hot enough.Sear for 30 seconds, rotate to get cross marks and more carmelization and sear that for 30 seconds. Flip, sear for 30 seconds.Turn the grill to its lowest setting, open the top and put the steak on the last of the cross hatch sides on the grill. Once the grill has dropped below 350F you can lower the lid again.Use an instant read thermometer and pull the steak off when it hits 105F (perhaps more if it is thicker but never more than 115F). Loosely tent the steak with tinfoil on a warm (or at least insulated read plastic) plate. Let it rest for ten minutes. If it climbs to over 125F you took it off too late. This is for medium rare. For a Filet that is really overcooked, but about ideal for a ribeye as there is more fat in the ribeye.

Thanks for the tips. I Have done a small bit of pan roasting, and it all turned out good, and juicy, but not great IMO.

I take it you consider that temp to be about 1000*F?