Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

If you have a problem with red flesh, turn down the lights, and don't look at it. My wife grew up on a dairy farm where they cooked the fuck out of everything. First steak I ever made for her looked like the last one. I had candles positioned carefully and barely so she couldn't see it. She was raving about the meat. After about 3 raves I stood up and turned on the light and she started to gag.The next day she thanked me. Since then she has never reverted to anything more than medium rare.

Actually I only order steak rare. The Redder the flesh the tastier. Just needs to be warm and still moist (Giggitty). Most other people I know what medium or medium well.

Also as for the south comment, Tampa isn't really the south. Yes, it is in the southern part of the country, but it is. Not like Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina. Honestly, it reminds me of a Sandy humid Syracuse (God it pains me to say that). No food group it does especially well (minus seafood as it is usually caught that morning, and cooked that evening), but nothing that is completely fucked up wrong per se. You do get what you pay for around here, and I have only found 2 BBQ places I thought did BBQ justice, and one is a chain.

J

Hate to burst your bubble but Tampa is in the South when it comes to having shitty food. I've spent probably 20 days in Tampa and outside of spending over $100 on a meal haven't had a good one. I am of course excluding effortless things like raw oysters, fried oysters, cocktail shrimp and the like. That shit there is fucking awesome, but noting the location it better be. Guess what I eat when I visit the gulf? rofl.

And WTF is bernaise?J

Seriously? Look up "Mother Sauces" and realize that fundamentally until you master those in the kitchen you should not use any other "sauce"
Looking it up, I can see why it does not ring a bell at first. I do not enjoy cream or cream-ish sauces, nor seafood (I mention that as most of the other sauces reference it).I have horrible tastes in a lot of food, but am at least moving away from shit foods.J
It is going to take more years off your life eating that way than smoking will. Seriously, stop TODAY.

Already quit smoking. As for the food, what do you think I eat that is bad for me? I just have never found any seafood that was palatable to me. I have tried cod, salmon, crab, lobster, shrimp, founder, snapper, and tuna. All cooked (or done as sushi) in a variety of ways, and it all tastes like trash to me. I would rather eat well done steak and rinse it down with clamato than eat seafood.

J

J

And yes, I am basing this on how it looks not just color. If the photographer cheated and misted it with moisture he'd be deceiving me...If you look at the successive pictures you can see that the moisture is cooked right out of the meat the more it is cooked. On a steak with minimal fat that is super dangerous as you end up with tasteless, dry and boring.

In order to better understand the better way to cook meat, what methods do you recommend with steak on a gas grill?J
Until you can pan roast successfully you should avoid the grill.To answer your question though, fundamentally this is the method.Get your grill as hot as it can get. Realistically this may take an hour on preheat or the hottest setting. The other realistic bummer is that this is still probably not hot enough to properly cook a steak unless it is charcoal. I have a $10,000 Lynx grill and anything less than an hour and it is NOWHERE near hot enough.Sear for 30 seconds, rotate to get cross marks and more carmelization and sear that for 30 seconds. Flip, sear for 30 seconds.Turn the grill to its lowest setting, open the top and put the steak on the last of the cross hatch sides on the grill. Once the grill has dropped below 350F you can lower the lid again.Use an instant read thermometer and pull the steak off when it hits 105F (perhaps more if it is thicker but never more than 115F). Loosely tent the steak with tinfoil on a warm (or at least insulated read plastic) plate. Let it rest for ten minutes. If it climbs to over 125F you took it off too late. This is for medium rare. For a Filet that is really overcooked, but about ideal for a ribeye as there is more fat in the ribeye.

Thanks for the tips. I Have done a small bit of pan roasting, and it all turned out good, and juicy, but not great IMO.

I take it you consider that temp to be about 1000*F?

Pretty sure it could be hotter than 1000F. I throw my shit on high and I have restaurant burners pretty much everywhere on the range and grill. Mine isn't hot enough. The BGE gets hot enough and even too hot, but I got mine hot enough to make the thermometer explode and it melted 1750F gasket material. That was unecessarily hot, but somewhere around 1200-1400F sure gets a wonderful crust. When doing steaks on the egg like that you have to brown them on both sides and remove them because it just doesn't cool off fast enough.

If I eat fillet I like bernaise.

Filet well done is probably the worst mistake ever. Not saying you make that...

For instance, this is already ruined and nearly inedible.

finishedFilet.jpg

And you know that Bernaise is NOT steak sauce. Steak sauce is some bullshit that morons buy labeled A1 or H57 or whatever the fuck. Used as a marinade by the lazy on something other than beef I can understand, but you know I wasn't excluding the use of mother sauces. They have their place, but that place is well defined in culinary history.

I brought it up because I'm fairly certain Mike and others are not aware of some of the mother sauces and how they work.

:-)

I would eat that steak. I would just need piovre or bernaise for it.

And WTF is bernaise?J

Seriously? Look up "Mother Sauces" and realize that fundamentally until you master those in the kitchen you should not use any other "sauce"
Looking it up, I can see why it does not ring a bell at first. I do not enjoy cream or cream-ish sauces, nor seafood (I mention that as most of the other sauces reference it).I have horrible tastes in a lot of food, but am at least moving away from shit foods.J
It is going to take more years off your life eating that way than smoking will. Seriously, stop TODAY.

Already quit smoking. As for the food, what do you think I eat that is bad for me? I just have never found any seafood that was palatable to me. I have tried cod, salmon, crab, lobster, shrimp, founder, snapper, and tuna. All cooked (or done as sushi) in a variety of ways, and it all tastes like trash to me. I would rather eat well done steak and rinse it down with clamato than eat seafood.

J

J

You said you eat crap, not me. I've had some REALLY bad seafood in Tampa btw. Overcooked fish is perhaps even worse than overcooked beef...

If I eat fillet I like bernaise.

Filet well done is probably the worst mistake ever. Not saying you make that...

For instance, this is already ruined and nearly inedible.

finishedFilet.jpg

And you know that Bernaise is NOT steak sauce. Steak sauce is some bullshit that morons buy labeled A1 or H57 or whatever the fuck. Used as a marinade by the lazy on something other than beef I can understand, but you know I wasn't excluding the use of mother sauces. They have their place, but that place is well defined in culinary history.

I brought it up because I'm fairly certain Mike and others are not aware of some of the mother sauces and how they work.

I would eat that steak. I would just need piovre or bernaise for it.

I know, just wanted to clarify that to me that is acceptable and even desirable. The only real sauces worth buying are one ingredient ones or things you cannot make at home like Fish Sauce.

If you have a problem with red flesh, turn down the lights, and don't look at it. My wife grew up on a dairy farm where they cooked the fuck out of everything. First steak I ever made for her looked like the last one. I had candles positioned carefully and barely so she couldn't see it. She was raving about the meat. After about 3 raves I stood up and turned on the light and she started to gag.The next day she thanked me. Since then she has never reverted to anything more than medium rare.

Actually I only order steak rare. The Redder the flesh the tastier. Just needs to be warm and still moist (Giggitty). Most other people I know what medium or medium well.Also as for the south comment, Tampa isn't really the south. Yes, it is in the southern part of the country, but it is. Not like Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina. Honestly, it reminds me of a Sandy humid Syracuse (God it pains me to say that). No food group it does especially well (minus seafood as it is usually caught that morning, and cooked that evening), but nothing that is completely fucked up wrong per se. You do get what you pay for around here, and I have only found 2 BBQ places I thought did BBQ justice, and one is a chain.J
Hate to burst your bubble but Tampa is in the South when it comes to having shitty food. I've spent probably 20 days in Tampa and outside of spending over $100 on a meal haven't had a good one. I am of course excluding effortless things like raw oysters, fried oysters, cocktail shrimp and the like. That shit there is fucking awesome, but noting the location it better be. Guess what I eat when I visit the gulf? rofl.

Please keep in mind when it comes to food and choices, Tampa and St Petersburg are very much alike, and very different all at once. We have some great choices, and as we attract beach goers, the mom and pop resturants are everywhere.

I have only spend 100+ on a plate a few times out here, and yes each time it was worth every penny.

J

As much false information surrounding food as there is in car audio, lol

Actually I only order steak rare. The Redder the flesh the tastier. Just needs to be warm and still moist (Giggitty). Most other people I know what medium or medium well.Also as for the south comment, Tampa isn't really the south. Yes, it is in the southern part of the country, but it is. Not like Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina. Honestly, it reminds me of a Sandy humid Syracuse (God it pains me to say that). No food group it does especially well (minus seafood as it is usually caught that morning, and cooked that evening), but nothing that is completely fucked up wrong per se. You do get what you pay for around here, and I have only found 2 BBQ places I thought did BBQ justice, and one is a chain.J

Please keep in mind when it comes to food and choices, Tampa and St Petersburg are very much alike, and very different all at once. We have some great choices, and as we attract beach goers, the mom and pop resturants are everywhere.

I have only spend 100+ on a plate a few times out here, and yes each time it was worth every penny.

J

I'm aware. Spent a lot of time there and never once have I had to worry about the bill as it has always been on business...

I am also rather good at sorting through different websites and such to find restaurants worth visiting. Something I do more than once a week.

And WTF is bernaise?J

Already quit smoking. As for the food, what do you think I eat that is bad for me? I just have never found any seafood that was palatable to me. I have tried cod, salmon, crab, lobster, shrimp, founder, snapper, and tuna. All cooked (or done as sushi) in a variety of ways, and it all tastes like trash to me. I would rather eat well done steak and rinse it down with clamato than eat seafood.JJ
You said you eat crap, not me. I've had some REALLY bad seafood in Tampa btw. Overcooked fish is perhaps even worse than overcooked beef...

What I meant is that my tastes do not include cream based or textured sauces, I do not care for seafood, I do not enjoy many vegetables, I do not care for much in the way of Asian cusine. Not saying I eat shit food, but my taste in food is so simplistic and bland, that it is horrible.

J

One other tidbit of helpful information.

The hotter your cooking heat the more that the temp will rise during the resting period.

ie, if you pull two steaks off the grill at 105F and one is at 1000F and the other 300F there will be a HUGE difference in carryover cooking. Part of the reason you always finish at a lower temperature. The other of course is that if you don't you end up with a huge gray ring close to the browned outsides. The other cause of the huge gray ring is not enough heat to brown quickly enough.

/lectureSorry

Feel free to keep going. Nothing like lessons on how to improve your food experience.

As much false information surrounding food as there is in car audio, lol

It certainly seems that way!!

Please keep in mind when it comes to food and choices, Tampa and St Petersburg are very much alike, and very different all at once. We have some great choices, and as we attract beach goers, the mom and pop resturants are everywhere.I have only spend 100+ on a plate a few times out here, and yes each time it was worth every penny.J
I'm aware. Spent a lot of time there and never once have I had to worry about the bill as it has always been on business...I am also rather good at sorting through different websites and such to find restaurants worth visiting. Something I do more than once a week.

Any websites you suggest, and what to truly look for? I would love to try some new places I may not necessarily drive by, or know about.

J

And WTF is bernaise?J

Already quit smoking. As for the food, what do you think I eat that is bad for me? I just have never found any seafood that was palatable to me. I have tried cod, salmon, crab, lobster, shrimp, founder, snapper, and tuna. All cooked (or done as sushi) in a variety of ways, and it all tastes like trash to me. I would rather eat well done steak and rinse it down with clamato than eat seafood.JJ

What I meant is that my tastes do not include cream based or textured sauces, I do not care for seafood, I do not enjoy many vegetables, I do not care for much in the way of Asian cusine. Not saying I eat shit food, but my taste in food is so simplistic and bland, that it is horrible.

J

You've confused your body to like crap instead of real food. The only cure is to cut out ALL of the crap for 20+ days and reset yourself.

It will also be the healthiest thing you can do. I have a friend who was like you in his eating habits, but he was also extremely overweight. Two diets helped him a ton. The first was to not eat the same meal in a month. The second is to eat 12 cups of vegetables a day. He couldn't handle the second until doing the first for a couple months. Worked extremely well and opened his palette up.

The Asian food is particularly bad in Florida btw. LIke inedible bad.

One other tidbit of helpful information.The hotter your cooking heat the more that the temp will rise during the resting period.ie, if you pull two steaks off the grill at 105F and one is at 1000F and the other 300F there will be a HUGE difference in carryover cooking. Part of the reason you always finish at a lower temperature. The other of course is that if you don't you end up with a huge gray ring close to the browned outsides. The other cause of the huge gray ring is not enough heat to brown quickly enough.

That is an issue on my Weber.

J

And WTF is bernaise?J

What I meant is that my tastes do not include cream based or textured sauces, I do not care for seafood, I do not enjoy many vegetables, I do not care for much in the way of Asian cusine. Not saying I eat shit food, but my taste in food is so simplistic and bland, that it is horrible.J
You've confused your body to like crap instead of real food. The only cure is to cut out ALL of the crap for 20+ days and reset yourself.It will also be the healthiest thing you can do. I have a friend who was like you in his eating habits, but he was also extremely overweight. Two diets helped him a ton. The first was to not eat the same meal in a month. The second is to eat 12 cups of vegetables a day. He couldn't handle the second until doing the first for a couple months. Worked extremely well and opened his palette up.The Asian food is particularly bad in Florida btw. LIke inedible bad.

I may have to look into trying that.

ONLY Asian food I found edible down here was at Teppan Edo at Japan Epcot in Disney, and at Kobe hibachi.

J

You can't just use a website as you have to be able to read through misinformation.

Websites/apps like yelp, egullet, zagat, urbanspoon, google maps, tripadvisor, lonely planet, local eats and so on all get used by me. You need to beware the "critics" though as many are fanboys and dipshits.

The menu tells me more than the responses usually. You have to start somewhere though.

One other tidbit of helpful information.The hotter your cooking heat the more that the temp will rise during the resting period.ie, if you pull two steaks off the grill at 105F and one is at 1000F and the other 300F there will be a HUGE difference in carryover cooking. Part of the reason you always finish at a lower temperature. The other of course is that if you don't you end up with a huge gray ring close to the browned outsides. The other cause of the huge gray ring is not enough heat to brown quickly enough.

That is an issue on my Weber.

J

Generally speaking Weber's are garbage.

ONLY Asian food I found edible down here was at Teppan Edo at Japan Epcot in Disney, and at Kobe hibachi.

Exactly, and those spots are mediocre to bad. A real Asian restaurant would probably open up your mind a bit.

That is an issue on my Weber.J

I picked mine up as my grandfather's (which is 27 years old) cooks like a champ, and has only needed its burners replaced once over its lifetime. Granted, it was only replaced when he switched from propane to natural gas

J

If you never cook with anything that includes more than 4 ingredients from the store your health will greatly improve.

Functionally speaking at our house we shop in very few aisles: veg, fruit, meat, dairy, bakery, and the baking aisle.

With the advent of children we've regrettably added chips, crackers, and some processed fruit (dried or apple sauce etc). I try to keep those very limited in ingredients though so they are at least based on real nutrition.

Exactly, and those spots are mediocre to bad. A real Asian restaurant would probably open up your mind a bit.

Perhaps the next time I travel I will have to ask you for a reccomendation for a good resturant or two.

J

That is an issue on my Weber.J

I picked mine up as my grandfather's (which is 27 years old) cooks like a champ, and has only needed its burners replaced once over its lifetime. Granted, it was only replaced when he switched from propane to natural gas

J

10,000 btu burners don't get hot enough. Hell my grill has 160,000btu's and it doesn't get hot enough.

The other Weber problem is they use "flavorizer" bars. Those have no mass and heat holding capability. You need a heat soak that you can super heat for it to work. Really old Webers included lava rock which would help with this, but yours doesn't have those otherwise you'd have had to buy some new ones...

If you never cook with anything that includes more than 4 ingredients from the store your health will greatly improve.Functionally speaking at our house we shop in very few aisles: veg, fruit, meat, dairy, bakery, and the baking aisle.With the advent of children we've regrettably added chips, crackers, and some processed fruit (dried or apple sauce etc). I try to keep those very limited in ingredients though so they are at least based on real nutrition.

Good points.

J

There is a good way to heat (and clean btw) the grates of your grill more. Cover them with tinfoil while your grill is preheating. They will get hotter than they've ever gotten and clean themselves in the process smile.png