Hookedup12

2dcons sealed vs 1 gcon ported

I have a single 12 dcon on 400w in a sealed box I was thinkin of either gettin another dcon and have two sealed or port this dcon now and then later switch to gcon??? Either way I have to get a new box sub and amp. Which would be louder the gcon will get 800w rms at least and the two dcons would get around 750-800 aswell

Port the DCON and see how you like it. To answer your question, I would rather have one GCON ported,

build a ported box for your current sub. if you like it then dont upgrade. if you want more output get a gcon or icon and sell the dcon.

The Dcon would be much happier in a ported enclosure. If you have the space I would absolutely do that before you buy anything new.

I think i Will go that route and i can use the same box when it get my gcon if i even want it!! thanks guys

build a ported box for your current sub. if you like it then dont upgrade. if you want more output get a gcon or icon and sell the dcon.

Exactly what I said to this same topic on CA. :)

I am looking in to purchasing 3 DCON 10's or 12's and space is an issue.  I have an 09 Acura TL and they will fit perfectly near the back seat of my car while still giving me room to access the spare tire etc. It is as if it was made to hold 3 subs.  I am currently running 3 CVR 10's (sealed box) that I want to replace with your DCON but I feel like I would be making a big mistake as much as I hear everyone shooting down a sealed box for the DCON series. I have been reading forums from all over the place hating sealed especially DCON.  I am not interested in the GCON at all as I do not want to replace my amp to meet those power requirements.  The reason why I am switching from the Kickers as I am tired of the crappy low - end response of them and the sound quality.  Back in the day I ran 3 old school JL W6 12's (sealed box)  and that is basically where I want to be again without breaking the bank.

Just how bad are the DCONS in sealed? What will I be losing compared to the CVR's?  Loudness?  I don't want to shoot myself int the foot. I will be powering them with a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd mono block.   I am looking for a balance of SPL, SQ, and FR in a SEALED enclosure.

Thank you for your time.

The Dcon 15s sound really great sealed. Can't say much for the smaller ones, as I have not heard them.

What I've heard is that the 10s and 12s really lose output. Im guessing that a 15 is too big from what you've said.

Model the Dcons vs the Kickers in your current enclosure and you will get an idea of output and extension difference.  You already know how your cabin gain is behaving, so a comparison of the two response curves will be meaningful to you.

I am looking in to purchasing 3 DCON 10's or 12's and space is an issue.  I have an 09 Acura TL and they will fit perfectly near the back seat of my car while still giving me room to access the spare tire etc. It is as if it was made to hold 3 subs.  I am currently running 3 CVR 10's (sealed box) that I want to replace with your DCON but I feel like I would be making a big mistake as much as I hear everyone shooting down a sealed box for the DCON series. I have been reading forums from all over the place hating sealed especially DCON.  I am not interested in the GCON at all as I do not want to replace my amp to meet those power requirements.  The reason why I am switching from the Kickers as I am tired of the crappy low - end response of them and the sound quality.  Back in the day I ran 3 old school JL W6 12's (sealed box)  and that is basically where I want to be again without breaking the bank.

Just how bad are the DCONS in sealed? What will I be losing compared to the CVR's?  Loudness?  I don't want to shoot myself int the foot. I will be powering them with a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd mono block.   I am looking for a balance of SPL, SQ, and FR in a SEALED enclosure.

Thank you for your time.

Power handling IS NOT a power requirement.  Two completely unrelated issues.

How much space do you have to work with?

I prefer ported as well. Just such a waste of possible output running sealed.

Really?  Care to explain why it is a waste?

Thanks for responding.  

To me it is strange that a 15 would behave so much more significantly different sealed than a 12 sealed.  I heard someone else mention that too.  

I came across just one DCON owner in forums that went sealed, he says he is very impressed then someone responds after him saying he tried sealed and it was very disappointing.  On top of that 99.9% of the rest of the DCON owners seem to go ported and say sealed isn't good with this model SSA woofer when it gets brought up. So that's my dilemma.   Not seeing any love for sealed at all.  I would consider going down to 2 subs ported if I am convinced that 2 ported is equally loud / performing than 3 subs sealed.   I think it would be a tight fit in the area of my ride not sure yet. 

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780416

I will research cabin gain that is new to me.  Looks like a interesting read.  As far as how the Kickers are behaving, I am very happy with them SPL wise and I want to not sacrifice very much of that when switching to DCON sealed. I was actually hoping to be a little bit louder than the Kickers but I can live with the same levels if that's how DCONS perform.    I am simply looking to add the cleaner bass component and lower end notes as Kickers are known crap out in that area.  I regret selling my JL Audio W6's as I would be totally content if I still had them.  Even if they would be 15 years old by now. These DCONs remind me heavily of that old JL model because it was a 300 watt SQ sub but could suck the snot out your nose and blur vision at the same time. That is what I am looking for with the wattage and price point.  

Here is the space I am working with that I want to stay close to.  It can hold a little bigger.  I haven't done official measurements yet but I am pretty confident 3 12's can fit in there.  

Would the RE Audio SRX be a better choice sealed than a DCON sealed?

I appreciate it.

Two ported would be louder than three sealed if the enclosure is the proper size.

Thanks for responding.  

To me it is strange that a 15 would behave so much more significantly different sealed than a 12 sealed.  I heard someone else mention that too.  

I came across just one DCON owner in forums that went sealed, he says he is very impressed then someone responds after him saying he tried sealed and it was very disappointing.  On top of that 99.9% of the rest of the DCON owners seem to go ported and say sealed isn't good with this model SSA woofer when it gets brought up. So that's my dilemma.   Not seeing any love for sealed at all.  I would consider going down to 2 subs ported if I am convinced that 2 ported is equally loud / performing than 3 subs sealed.   I think it would be a tight fit in the area of my ride not sure yet. 

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780416

I will research cabin gain that is new to me.  Looks like a interesting read.  As far as how the Kickers are behaving, I am very happy with them SPL wise and I want to not sacrifice very much of that when switching to DCON sealed. I was actually hoping to be a little bit louder than the Kickers but I can live with the same levels if that's how DCONS perform.    I am simply looking to add the cleaner bass component and lower end notes as Kickers are known crap out in that area.  I regret selling my JL Audio W6's as I would be totally content if I still had them.  Even if they would be 15 years old by now. These DCONs remind me heavily of that old JL model because it was a 300 watt SQ sub but could suck the snot out your nose and blur vision at the same time. That is what I am looking for with the wattage and price point.  

Here is the space I am working with that I want to stay close to.  It can hold a little bigger.  I haven't done official measurements yet but I am pretty confident 3 12's can fit in there.  

Would the RE Audio SRX be a better choice sealed than a DCON sealed?

I appreciate it.

I think it really depends on what you expect from the sub, and what kind of sound your looking for.

To me from and SQ standpoint the Dcon 15s sealed were very impressive, the bass was very crisp and clean.

Sure they weren't super loud, and the lows were not very good, but they were not disappointing in terms of output in my opinion.

Since your doing 10s or 12s I would definitely go ported, cause with less cone area comes less output, and your more likely to be disappointed by sealed.

Plus for the 12s they dip a little lower compared to the 10s and 15s, so you could take advantage of that with ported.

i would get a better design for the kicker subs before moving on to something different.