topgun

Ideas for stupidly insane dorm setup...

Ok, next year I'll be in the dorms again, but w/ my cousin as a roommate who is also a audio nut. I came up with an idea of making something along the lines of a "Stage" to put the TV and other crap on, ending up probably around 10-15 cubes of airspace? And having a couple 15's tuned to around 18hz or something along those lines for a sub setup for movies. My mains would be two towers with atleast 2 Extremis, or AA mids per tower with a Usher (can't remember numer, 9950???) tweet. The subs will be powered with a Behring EP2500amp, the mains with one ART SLA-1 amp (possibly 2) or a ART SLA-2.

Any ideas if this has ever been done before?? If it has, pics?

Why?

Because we can.

Because I've never seen it.

Because it would be nucking futs.

Because we can.

Because it would be insane.

Because it would be cool as hell.

Requirments.

Drivers must be somewhat cheap, Can't to dual MAG's (thinking CVR 15's?)

Be able to build in room.

Get LOW as hell.

Soo, input is greatly appreciated.

Great idea?

Stupid?

Insane?

Combination of great, stupid and insane?

Thanks

-Ryan

Combination of great,stupid and insane.

1 15 is plenty nuff.

2 is just asking to get reported on constantly.

Just remember that enclosures vibrate unless you brace the crap out of them

I wouldnt set my t.v directly on top of the " stage".

I'm on good terms w/ the future RA, but 2 15's prob would be constant reporting... Or I could just have my DD 1008 for part time use, and the dual 15 setup for movies...

But right now I'm just bouncing ideas around.

Bracing would be a must, thats for sure.

The DD ported should be plenty nuff for normal everyday stuff.

2 15's in such a small room is overkill.

You want the bass to blend not totally overtake the whole system.

A lot of people tend to do that.

I know, I don't want to have all bass and no mids/highs, but the DD I don't think is gonna cut it for movies, I want that 20hz stuff, and from what I understand the DD won't do that. The DD is also going to be the project woofer for the 140 dB single 8" score on the TL in my S-10 (why? for the hell of it). I don't think my mains will be a slouch either, so I'm seriously considering atleast a 12" now... Ideas and recomendations are gladly accepted.

make sure your dorm will be able to support the current drawn by all of the amplication youre going to need

20hz is barely audible

Correct, but you can feel it.

make sure your dorm will be able to support the current drawn by all of the amplication youre going to need

I haven't blown a breaker yet...

Bad idea.

Personally, I woulldn't go over one 15" in a dorm. With one 12" and 250W, I was already causing enough of a disturbance - a substage that powerful is asking to get written up constantly.

20hz is barely audible

but movies have information as low as 5Hz in some casses. You may not be able to "hear" it but it is certianly scensible. How much the people in the dorms near you will appreceate it i dont know.

Single Avalanceh 18 would kill.

I'd go with a single sub.

Be sweet if you could find a used Uber for $300 or so and put the Behringer on it ... perhaps with two 18" PR's.

Ok, 2 15's idea is now scrapped. I guess that'll have to wait till a house. So a single woofer setup will be just fine then... now the question is what kind to get. The uber sounds like a good idea.... anything cheaper? I'd like to do a Mag setup, but I don't see those kind of funds for the substage comming around.

How much an Ava go for nowadays??

300-350 shipped. More or less depending on the seller. Im never going to let mine go but if i where i would be asking in the upper end of that range.

Bigger and lower is better with them. 10cuft@10Hz would be awsome for the low low notes. 7.5cuft@28Hz dives ungodly 20Hz tones in my truck, chad says the bigger you go the lower they get.

A little bird told me TC3HP 15's go for a good price NEW...<400 if you know the right people. I can talk to that little bird to how he got them for such a great price.

memphis pr15....

cvr18....

or a pair or 12's...

personally, i like stupid silly loud and low....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

CVR 18" in an ungodly big enclosure sounds good to me, cheaper driver, and an ungodly low tunning freq...

and with the ungodly large, low tuned enclosure, you really won't have the need for real high power.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Very true, but since I have it anyway.......

Very true, but since I have it anyway.......

why not use it!!!! :bigok:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I like it especially with an 18, but no matter what you are proposing it is overkill for the dorm room. Only because by the time you actually get your speakers moving, someone will be complaining.

I'm with Eldo in that I wouldn't be any tv on the "stage" you are referring to, not unless you don't want it to last very long.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=295-190

Pair FTW

VERY similar to Adire's old Tempest's.

i had a Tempest in my room for a short period of time, never even got to crack it open at all when the parents where home, much past 3/4 and stuff was falling off the walls and the neightbors where calling the house complaining.

mine was 5cuft@18Hz with a single 4" PVC port downfiring.