mlcantin

None of my subs work despite different setups

So today i turned on my car while leaving class and decided to bump on the way home. Well i couldn't because my sub wasn't working. It was working before class. I got home and hooked up my other working sub which i decided to upgrade from (VIBE slick) and that did not work either. I know for a fact that the vibe isn't blown and my amp tells me when a sub is blown, wired wrong etc. The amp said everything was fine. So i hooked up my old amp (a kenwood) and that amp didn't work either with both subs. I can't stress enough that the VIBE is a good working subwoofer. I checked all of my fuses under the hood and none of them are blown. Neither are the fuses on both of the amps. I took a multimeter to check ohms and my ground was way less than half an ohm resistance which is good. I don't understand why nothing is working. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matthew

Get a patch RCA adapter to mini headphone jack for your phone/ipod and use that as the signal to your amp, if it works, you know it's your head unit, if it doesn't you know it's the amp. Could be a bunch of things, maybe as simple as the sub out on your head unit is turned off.

if what source works? and I know my Kenwood amp is good because I used it once and swapped due to lack of power. The subwoofer control on the head unit was turned on. I think something blow when I turned the car on

well you could always run a wire from you + and - to the sub and see if it moves.

Will tell you if you sub is blown or not.

Get a patch RCA adapter to mini headphone jack for your phone/ipod and use that as the signal to your amp, if it works, you know it's your head unit, if it doesn't you know it's the amp. Could be a bunch of things, maybe as simple as the sub out on your head unit is turned off.
if what source works? and I know my Kenwood amp is good because I used it once and swapped due to lack of power. The subwoofer control on the head unit was turned on. I think something blow when I turned the car on

Run a different signal source to your amp to see if it's your head unit failing.

Use a dmm and check your sub wiring and head unit. Best tool you need to buy if you dont have one.

my amp would tell me if my subwoofer was wired wrong plus I know how to wire subs

But are you getting a voltage signal from your head unit?

haven't checked that. I have a multimeter that can check that. what wires do I need to connect it to

Try an MP3 player for a different source, or a dmm to check the voltage in the rca's ran from your head unit.

Edited by BrutalBasser

my amp would tell me if my subwoofer was wired wrong plus I know how to wire subs

How does your amp tell you? If you say you know your amp is good and you know your subs are good then its going to be your head unit or rca wire

Your unplugged rca coming from the head unit. It will be a dc signal that should vary.

How does your amp tell you? If you say you know your amp is good and you know your subs are good then its going to be your head unit or rca wire
My amp goes into protect mode for several reasons and it tells you which reason by the number of times the protect mode flashes per second. It isnt in protect mode at all so nothing is wrong with the subs or amp.

Your unplugged rca coming from the head unit. It will be a dc signal that should vary.
What should the voltage read between?

What is the preout signal voltage rated for on your head unit? That's where it should measure at.

Your amplifier talks to you ?!

Do what they told you to do ! Check the rca and the h u. And you'll see :)

Good luck !

What is the preout signal voltage rated for on your head unit? That's where it should measure at.
Peramp voltage? Its 2 is what the headunit is required to have

Then it should read right around 2v then.

Your amplifier talks to you ?! Do what they told you to do ! Check the rca and the h u. And you'll see :)/> Good luck !
Don't most amps do this?

Should I plug them into the rca outs on the head unit?

Should I plug them into the rca outs on the head unit?

plug it into the rca in on your amp

Edited by DanP

Procure a mini jack to RCA adapter.

Plug mini jack into iPod or phone.

Remove RCA from head unit to amp.

Plug RCA from iPod or phone into amp.

If it works, the problem is your head unit or RCA from head unit.