Sign in to follow this  
CBFryman

Weird Recone Question.

Well ive decided to take the TC9 and recoen it to an 18. im hopping to get the hook up and learn how to recone speakers the right way.

as for the e12a coen and coil. Would it be possible for me to remove the surround and spider all surgery like and put a new on on and sell it? i know putting a new surround on a cone is easy, spiders, however, i dont know. Ideas?

I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to do.

If you're reconing the subwoofer into an 18", then why do you need the e12a cone and coil still, and why are you worried about attaching a new surround and spider to them?

I get what he's trying to do, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

Basically, he wants to remove the old soft parts and graft them onto another basket and motor, and sell it as a complete subwoofer.

how would you put a new vc on the flatcone?

I don't recommend reconing yourself unless you get an assembled recone... that is drop in. Essentially, you can't do this unless you get the recone from the original company... OR the person you are getting the recone from has the EXACT same motor/basket in front of the...

Seriously...

nG

Shawn's been doing recones since '02 or '03, he is an RE dealer, or is in the process, what im talking about with the e12a is, because recones are impossible to find, take the current cone/coil out, remove the spider and replace the surround and take the TC9, put it on an 18" with SX soft parts, give/sell the e12a cone/coil to someone that has one rotting because its blown. :)

Shawn's been doing recones since '02 or '03, he is an RE dealer, or is in the process, what im talking about with the e12a is, because recones are impossible to find, take the current cone/coil out, remove the spider and replace the surround and take the TC9, put it on an 18" with SX soft parts, give/sell the e12a cone/coil to someone that has one rotting because its blown. :)

Still don't entirely get what you're trying to do...

It would take A LOT of time, precision, and Glue Dissolver to get anywhere...

Then still wouldn't know if it would be functional...

IMHO not worth it...

Also, I don't care if Shawn Flemming knows how to do Recones. I know how to do recones as well... but this isn't a simply drop in recone... just letting you know. The cone, spiders, coil, and basket will have to be sent unassembled ;) ...

nG

gotcha, now are yo urefering to the TC9 with SX's or the e12a cone/coil?

Still don't entirely get what you're trying to do...

It would take A LOT of time, precision, and Glue Dissolver to get anywhere...

Then still wouldn't know if it would be functional...

IMHO not worth it...

This is in reference to the 12A and trying to dissamble it keeping it in tact...

Also, I don't care if Shawn Flemming knows how to do Recones. I know how to do recones as well... but this isn't a simply drop in recone... just letting you know. The cone, spiders, coil, and basket will have to be sent unassembled wink.gif...

This is in reference to the 18" Recone for the TC9 motor...

:)

nG

i called RE, got a good answear, i was informed that unless the person aligning the coil is an engineer in the feild hte gap may be misaligned or the driver may not work at all. $155+ shipping to them is a steep price though.

What you are doing isn't completely impossible, Just takes an amazing amount of patience. The two part epoxy that holds the cone to the voice coil former is harder than fiberglass and will need ground down by hand to make a clean surface to be re-attached. Also you will have to be extremely careful with the tinsel leads as to not break them where they exit the former. That could be a big problem making the process harder. When you detatch something that is epoxied together usually one of the parts is sacrificed. I.E: either the cone or former- whichever you need less. Are you willing to possibly risk this? A very important question is the width of the magnetic gap, does the donor structure and the new structure have the same width gap. Gaps are not always the same and can differ say between SVC and DVC models- and even on any style of coil the amount of windings/wire type can affect gap tolerances. Also with re-assembly the voice coil needs to be positioned perfectly in the gap. This usually requires a specialized jig or shims. The proper height must be ascertained as well to match positioning to the top plate. Not having this correct will result in unbalanced excursion and ultimately severe damping problems. To sum this up, all is possible if you are extemely careful and patient - and of course the parts match the application. Good luck!

~Kaminari~

i called RE, got a good answear, i was informed that unless the person aligning the coil is an engineer in the feild hte gap may be misaligned or the driver may not work at all. $155+ shipping to them is a steep price though.

What you are doing isn't completely impossible, Just takes an amazing amount of patience. The two part epoxy that holds the cone to the voice coil former is harder than fiberglass and will need ground down by hand to make a clean surface to be re-attached. Also you will have to be extremely careful with the tinsel leads as to not break them where they exit the former. That could be a big problem making the process harder. When you detatch something that is epoxied together usually one of the parts is sacrificed. I.E: either the cone or former- whichever you need less. Are you willing to possibly risk this?  A very important question is the width of the magnetic gap, does the donor structure and the new structure have the same width gap. Gaps are not always the same and can differ say between SVC and DVC models- and even on any style of coil the amount of windings/wire type can affect gap tolerances. Also with re-assembly the voice coil needs to be positioned perfectly in the gap. This usually requires a specialized jig or shims. The proper height must be ascertained as well to match positioning to the top plate. Not having this correct will result in unbalanced excursion and ultimately severe damping problems. To sum this up, all is possible if you are extemely careful and patient - and of course the parts match the application. Good luck!

~Kaminari~

EXACTLY.... this is precisely what I was talking about CB ;)... just too lazy to type it all out...

nG