wheelconnector

looking for a lightweight sub

so a friend of mine is looking to add a sub to his car, but he cares a great deal about weight (yes, contradictory, but to each his own). He's looking for a 10" driver that weighs less than 20lbs, preferably around 15lbs, that has awesome SQ and lets you slightly feel the bass.

So far, he's looking at the eD 11Kv.2, Adire Shiva (having a hard to time to find this thing online), and the Seas Lotus SW250 (isn't sure if he wants to spend this much money, unless its 200% worth it).

any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

i imagine the rl-i 10 will be pushing the weight limit, but is an awesome choice.

what kind of power is he looking at? if it's under 350wrms, i'd suggest a memphis pr10. and don't let the looks fool ya, it's an awesome "entry" level driver.

over 350, then i'd sacrifice a lil weight and get the rl-i...or maybe a memphis m3.

check into powerbass here. they have a nice entry level line of subs that might just work!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

What's the vehicle and intended application?

86 the box and you save weight, but to run IB you need to really seal stuff off.

small box driver? IDQ maybe?

Orbis? Haven't heard one, but it's definately lightweight.

Is he a big guy?

Time for a diet :)

what was that sub that a member on here has, (they are not big in the US but maybe in europe) with the very flat motor structure and flat cone making it a small sub?

This will help a lot!!

what kind of power is he looking at?

The sub will be powered by a bridged eD Nine.2, which is advertised at 400wrms, but if i remember correctly has benchmarked ~430-450wrms.

Its an acura rsx type-s (hatchback, with gutted interior, and a good amount of sound dampening/deadening). Intended application... its a daily driver that gets tracked every once in a while. the sub will definitely not be for parking lot/stop light "bumping", merely to enhance his own music experience.

Is he a big guy?

Time for a diet

lol :lol:

Since it is a hatchback the box is probably going to outweigh the sub. I'd say don't worry about the weight but make the whole box removable easily for track days.

Because you can't run a sub without a box mounted IB in a hatchback.

Because you can't run a sub without a box mounted IB in a hatchback.

Yep

To reduce weight, and make it easier to handle when removing for the track, use fibreglass throughout, and use poly rope as a rib structure to give strength to the flatter parts, and reduce the amount of layers needed.

A well constructed fibreglass enclsosure can weigh as little as 10-15 pds.

ahhh thanks

btw, anyone know exactly how much a RL-i10 weighs? the 8 weighs in at 18lbs, but their site doesn't tell you how much the 10 weighs. Since I love my RL-p12 I'm trying to convince my friend to go with an RL-i :)

ahhh thanks

Since I love my RL-p12 I'm trying to convince my friend to go with an RL-i :)

:bigok:

Rl-i 8 fiberglassed would be the lightest setup.

Its got enough in it that it can get moderatly loud ( 130db+)

Which is plenty for any normal person.

If its a autoX car then like the others said make it eaisly removable.

Its easy to make a MDF enclosure thats removable, costs less and is less labour.

i say RL-i 10, Fiberglass box, and assuming a FWD car put behind the rear wheels on the passenger side for autoX, and passnger side infront of the rear wheels for drag. Unless he is uber seriosu 30-35lbs sub+ enclosure isnt gonna hurt even 0.1sec and for auto X i wouldnt even worry as most track balenced and handleing is more important than 35lbs.

for my friends tiburon where where gonna do 4 tang band 6.5's ported and fiberglased, we expected it to weigh lesst han 50lbs but he skimped out on cash at the last moment.

In all honesty I would say build the box really durable (coat it with bedliner) and easy to remove (in a hatch that's EASY) then he can run whatever he wants and take it out to go to the track. My cousin did this with his Firebird and it worked out great.

I have been in the same boat as his friend... personally, I like to run my car as it is on the street, therefore I do not take anything out of the vehicle that is bolted down. A little extra weight doesn't matter all that much in an Autox car anyways if the suspension is setup correctly, especially in a car with a 65/35 weight distribution.

That being said, I would try to build the enclosure as light as possible, and in the locations previously mentioned. Think of it as strategic weight placement.

I have been in the same boat as his friend... personally, I like to run my car as it is on the street, therefore I do not take anything out of the vehicle that is bolted down.

That's exactly what my friend has in mind. He'll probably have his suspension corner weighted after he gets the sub to even things out as best he can.