Sign in to follow this  
CBFryman

Magnum vs SX

Normally i would put this in the SPL forum but they dont move very fast. Im looking at Inviminator's new 187's, Used LI's, a single SX 15 and then there is a possibilty for an older Magnum SI. We are talking a structly SPL set up with around 1kw of power to deal with. im going to be running an Amature Street 1 with MECA and Street B with dB drag. Which has more SPL potential and room for error?

Normally i would put this in the SPL forum but they dont move very fast. Im looking at Inviminator's new 187's, Used LI's, a single SX 15 and then there is a possibilty for an older Magnum SI. We are talking a structly SPL set up with around 1kw of power to deal with. im going to be running an Amature Street 1 with MECA and Street B with dB drag. Which has more SPL potential and room for error?

The SX's get pretty loud but so do the magnums... I had both woofers (altho the magnum was a 12") I also had a 12 SX, I'd say the SX maybe had the magnum by a hair in SPL but i'm sure with testing and whatnot either of them would be a winner. 1kw rms to either of them is going to make them wang!

one of the members here did a drop in replacement (in an SX designed box) with a MAG, and the MAG was louder on the mic, not to mention my ears liked it better

I did the drop in test and here are the results

2 SX 12s Broken in (gained .4 db after break in) - 150.0

2 SI Mag 12s ( drop in out of the box gained some after break in) - 150.8

This box was designed by Loyd Lowry for the SX's, but the Mags just PWNED them also the mags sound great and nick is DA magn... if he only made 10s w/ the mag motor :)

i not really concerned at ALL about SQ. this is strictly SPL set up. the Ava will be in all days except for competition.

id still take the mags :).... thats what was in my pure spl machine... if u need help with a box for da mags let me know

kool, now i just need to track another one down...lol.

i not really concerned at ALL about SQ. this is strictly SPL set up. the Ava will be in all days except for competition.

Liar, you want it to sound good.

Why not look into Atomic APX?

another fine suggestion. what is the price range of thoes new/used?

Why not look into Atomic APX?

another fine suggestion. what is the price range of thoes new/used?

Not sure really, the one guy I know of by me that is running a 12" APXX (should be about a 140+ on music) got a 12 APX and 12 APXX for 200 bucks... If you look around, you can find them cheap, recones are 80 bucks or thereabouts I think.

that wouldnt be in kansas would it? i vote for the atomic ap/spl i have 2 10's doing a 148.3 on 20 seconds of music. they go for aroun 200 each new.

ill stick wif da mags :)

:+1:

Well, plans changed, the TC9 i bought to replace my Ava... now going to be turned into a Death Penulty. WOOT!

though the TC9 used by the actualy DP isa 1st cousin of the OE TC9 used on the e12a acourding to Nick... the DP soft parts should still work i think. Waiting for 100% confermation. Soooo if you have a 15" basket lying around i would be happy to take it from you. :)

and for daily driving, 18's or nothing for me. when SI makes a Mag 18 ill be happy to loose the Ava... :D

if i had the right connections im sure i could do it. But i dont, so im not. OE 18" pulp paper cone, OE surround, same spider configureation as the other mags, Mag motor, 18" basket, Mag Coil... if i had the resouces and the connections and the money i would do it fo' sho'

it would be sweet to have a custom DP