Sign in to follow this  
UDI

Z v3 15" or 18" ?

Hello.

I've got a ported 5.3 cu.ft box and 1.6k amp (my box is 1.1 cf ports and 4.2 cf for the sub)

which sub would be better with my setup? the Z v3 15" or the 18" ?

also I've got XS power D2400 battery.

I cant get a bigger box, thats the maximum box size that I can have.

is my mono will be enough for that sub? (can't change it, I'm out of budget)

is that box is enough for the 18" ?

if not, is it good for the 15" or is it too big?

* car details: I have a Fiat Grande Punto (small car. hatchback)

and my box is slanted front if it matters.

Amp: Celestra FA1.6k

Thanks, Udi.

Edited by UDI

You can use either sub in that size enclosure with that amount of power. Both subs will sound great on 1.6kw as well.

which sub will be louder with my setup?

No idea. 

4.2 cubic feet is a bit small for an 18, I would say go for the 15.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Its kind of in the middle. Its a little big it would seem for a 15, but a little closer for an 18. I would go 18, since most get around 6cubes, and 18 would have more cone area.

The 15" will be a tad more efficient and the 18" will have more cone area. Might equal out in the end.

Its kind of in the middle. Its a little big it would seem for a 15, but a little closer for an 18. I would go 18, since most get around 6cubes, and 18 would have more cone area.

The 15" will be a tad more efficient and the 18" will have more cone area. Might equal out in the end.

I edited it cause I read 5.3 for the sub, which I didn't think he meant port as well.

I would say 4.2 is a good size for a 15. Depends on the sub though. My dcons are in 5cubes each without port. But then again some only need 2.5...

Most 18s need at least 5-6.

Edited by SacredTanakh

I edited it cause I read 5.3 for the sub, which I didn't think he meant port as well.

I would say 4.2 is a good size for a 15. Depends on the sub though. My dcons are in 5cubes each without port. But then again some only need 2.5...

I  ran my Z.3 18" in 4.2 cubes (not counting port) and it sounded great. I hit a 143.8@32hz on 1500ish watts. I know that isnt ear shattering but it isnt bad either. The Z's can run in a lot smaller enclosures than you may think. You gain efficiency by using larger enclosures.

sundowns tend to work really well in small boxs.... other companies not so much.. infact most people call for 5-8 cubes for an 18 8 cubes  being optimal

sundowns tend to work really well in small boxs.... other companies not so much.. infact most people call for 5-8 cubes for an 18 8 cubes  being optimal

I  ran my Z.3 18" in 4.2 cubes (not counting port) and it sounded great. I hit a 143.8@32hz on 1500ish watts. I know that isnt ear shattering but it isnt bad either. The Z's can run in a lot smaller enclosures than you may think. You gain efficiency by using larger enclosures.

Ahh okay, I was speaking generally. I have heard sundowns don't require larger boxes, but it didn't click. Good to know tongue.png

typically like what bigjon said 18s need larger enclosures, Ive always likes sundown so that's another good reason to purchase them.

Oh and 143 is pretty good for a single sub. so nice ;)

Edited by SacredTanakh

According to WinISD in that enclosure volume (4.2cuft) with the same power the 18" would peak a little higher in frequency and have up to ~2db more output above tuning, but it rolls off a little sooner so the 15" would have maybe 1db more output over a very narrow bandwidth right where the 18" starts to roll off around tuning.  But the 18" would have about half the group delay around tuning, so the transient response might be a little better. 

And that amp is perfectly fine for those subs.

i had two hertz 15" subs (hx380d) and i hit with the same box 142.1@52hz

my goal is to get around 142-143 db on 30-35 hz and not 50+

the lower the better!

and after reading all your comments, i still cant decide which one to take.

but thank you so much for your comments!

Edited by UDI

You had those 2 Hertz in a single 4.2cuft enclosure?

You had those 2 Hertz in a single 4.2cuft enclosure?

yeah.

on hertz website they're saying 40-60 liter per sub (1.4-2.1 cuft)

No wonder you were peaking so high...your enclosure volume looks much better suited to a single hx380d than a pair.....

so with 15" z v3 i'll get better results in my enclosure?

its just that on sundown website it says that 15" z v3 needs 3cu.ft and 18" needs 4cu.ft

Post all of the dimensions of your enclosure.

Post all of the dimensions of your enclosure.

that's the enclosure

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2628/enclosureo.jpg

enclosureo.jpg

and now, on 1.6kw rms with xs power d2400 battery and that enclosure, 15" or 18" ?

i want it as loud as possible.

and i want to make a new ports facing up, thinking about two 6" tubes.

Edited by UDI

I'd get the 15" sub.
But I can't say the 18 won't work.

Good luck OP from Israel !

there are no Z's in my country, this one will be the first!

and there are no people that i know of in my country with 18" sub.

so... my brain says 15

my heart says 18

i really dont know what to do.

With that airspace, I say pull the trigger on the 18. Why not, and your heart will be happy!

Also with that power, your box will be more efficient also. In theory you have recommended RMS wattage, but I also know sundown is underrated some what.

Bottom line, I personally think the 18 would be great in that enclosure with your power. But im far from any expert.

Edited by AXEHAMMER

the question is if i could hit 142+ at 30-40 hz with the 18" or not

Nobody can answer that question for you, but if you don't meet your goal then your install or enclosure is at fault.

question:

i've made some calculations.

if i change the ports a little bit, and moving them 8 inch outside of the enclosure (round ports), i can have 5 cubes for the sub.

that will be fine for the 18" ?

Edited by UDI

Sign in to follow this