handman84

96 Accord System Upgrade

My current setup is ok, but I think it is time to take things to the next level. My current project is upgrading to an active front stage. Later I hope to add another 12" GCON or maybe upgrade to a 15" XCON. Anyway, I got my HU and I am waiting for my seas 7" woofers to arrive. As soon as I get paid I will be ordering the tweets. Then the fun begins!

I installed the 80prs and ditched the passives on my entry level BA comps. After an hour or so of tweaking The sound is WAY better! I am not going to spend too much time dialing them in since I will be replacing them soon, but I want to get used to the control of active tuning...I love it!

Here are a few pics. I measured for space, but wanted to make sure I could fit the new drivers, so I mocked them up with cardboard to test fit before I spent the money. All that did was make me even more excited for this upgrade! :) Waiting is the hardest part.

Here it is so far:

20130329_183936_zps79ed7615.jpg

20130329_183809_zpsc2dc95b2.jpg

20130330_151622_zpsf8f3f672.jpg20130406_161637_zpsf491164d.jpg20130406_124348_zps4cecf24f.jpg20130402_185803_zpsc36412e7.jpg20130406_123058_zps908853eb.jpg20130406_123038_zpsa7d344ca.jpg20130407_204317_zps99b8ea44.jpg20130402_185827_zpsf6bf0b73.jpg20130406_124432_zps39594fdb.jpg20130406_124409_zpsdcbe0382.jpg

I am really looking forward to the new setup. I am excited and nervous to try my hand a fiberglassing. I will update as things progress.

Hell yeah, nice work! My XCON's might need a new home soon.....hint hint ;)

12's? Keep me posted for sure! Never knew how much I loved bass until I found SSA...now I can't seem to get enough. Some XCONS would make my day!...no wait, my year!

12's? Keep me posted for sure! Never knew how much I loved bass until I found SSA...now I can't seem to get enough. Some XCONS would make my day!...no wait, my year!

Yeah d1 12's they are unofficially for sale. (If someone wants them I'll pull them) If you are interested PM me.

Nice work and prep. I need a router. I have a hole pro I've yet yo use though.

Ya, I make due with a jig saw and sandpaper but I own a nice router, just need to stop procrastinating and make a jig

What drivers do you plan on mounting in your a-pillars?

Regardless, I recommend you test the drivers (actually listen to) in multiple locations before you start fiberglassing.

Looking at the scan speak hds tweets. Ya I won't be doing any fiberglassing for a while. There will be extensive testing before I committ to anything

Looks like our new projects will parallel each other Rick...Will be trading in my gcon for ricks xcons and redoing my front stage to run active. Finally got some real pics and ditched the cardboard drivers smile.png

20130411_120101_zpsf5ee2d3e.jpg20130411_120145_zps7d03d228.jpg20130411_120209_zpsc9eee173.jpg20130411_120238_zpsab3f2255.jpg20130417_202255_zps3ce3cf6d.jpg20130417_202328_zpsb2ae3555.jpg

Edited by handman84

Shit I linked them instead of pasting them as pics!sigh.gif I will post the pics tonight. and hopefully be able to give a small review of these beauties :)

That's better. These Seas are HUGE compared to the BA's I was running before!

20130417_201218_zps51e190f9.jpg20130417_201608_zps70ac4e11.jpgRan out of CLD so used EBR between the ring and panel :)

20130417_201926_zps5c7df66c.jpgRe designed the rings so they would bolt to factory location. Didn't have to mod anything and they are easily removable if need be. 

20130417_203224_zps30e7fb0b.jpgFit like a  glove!

20130417_203425_zps52605ae9.jpg20130417_203508_zps05e4d141.jpg

Like I was never there ;)...The problem I'm having now is I am cheating myself out of so much potential output keeping them in the stock location :( They sound amazing so far but I know I am missing out on their true potential. When I feel more comfortable with fiberglassing I  will break down and give these guys the proper home they deserve. For now I will concentrate on tuning.

And my tweeters are here!

20130417_114527_zps142963fe.jpg

20130417_150634_zpsee7b29c6.jpg

20130417_150707_zpsd0eb04c3.jpg

These things are huge!. I hooked them up for a minute to see how they would sound with my woofers and WOW! I could not be more impressed. I can't imagine what they will sound like once I get them installed and tuned properly. Amazing tweets

How did I miss your build, sorry.

Things are looking good! I love the sound of large format tweeters.

yeah i missed it too , looks great,. your work is very clean props

Thank you. I have never done any of this before and I am quite anal about things, great because I end up with the result I am looking for in the end, but it takes me FOREVER to get things done...it's worth it though. I spent 3 hours cutting out and sanding rings for my tweeters today. i will upload pics later today.  This will be my first attempt at fiberglassing, I'm a little nervous

looks good!

play around alot with the tweeter aiming.  try using some towels/rags to support and elevate the tweeter. 

Great Idea lithium thanks. I just spent some time listening to the setup and holy shit is it sweet! I can't wait to get it all dialed in...more pics to come

I heard a rumor that you ares witching up your sub setup....

Who told you Rick? That was supposed to be top secret! Ya I put the first xcon in a 1.5ft^3 sealed box I had, not as loud as the gcon ported (duh) but I was demoing the new setup for my friend last night and was super impressed with the quality of the bass. 

My friend got so excited about the sq that he ran in the house to get his ipod and we spent an hour listening to his favorite music. It was great. We listened to a Dream Theater song that had a ton of string bass instruments (cello, concert bass, etc) and the quality of the bass was unreal! It totally surrounds you and at times you feel it but aren't quite sure you are hearing it...it was a weird awesome sensation.

Who told you Rick? That was supposed to be top secret! Ya I put the first xcon in a 1.5ft^3 sealed box I had, not as loud as the gcon ported (duh) but I was demoing the new setup for my friend last night and was super impressed with the quality of the bass. 

My friend got so excited about the sq that he ran in the house to get his ipod and we spent an hour listening to his favorite music. It was great. We listened to a Dream Theater song that had a ton of string bass instruments (cello, concert bass, etc) and the quality of the bass was unreal! It totally surrounds you and at times you feel it but aren't quite sure you are hearing it...it was a weird awesome sensation.

XCONs sealed sound Awesome! Some of the best I have heard, that would get loud without fatigue. So rich, smooth, and full is what I like to say about XCONs.

I love sq but sometimes I get in these modes where I am just craving spl. I was going to port the xcons for sure but you are making me seriously consider running them sealed Neal

I love sq but sometimes I get in these modes where I am just craving spl. I was going to port the xcons for sure but you are making me seriously consider running them sealed Neal

I am very similar, low levels it must sound good. Then the urge to make people shit their pants kicks in. Almost like building Haunt props suttle and unsure at first, then BAM coming at you to scare the shit out of you!

And the xcons sealed possess that ability?