riored4v

Thermo-Tec sound suppresor?

Anyone tried this stuff?  I probably should have asked before using it, but just curious if anyone else has and hearing opinions on it.  I feel like its worked to some extent, but I also still have a fair amount of rattles.  I know i need more of it to place on my inner panels, but my main focus has been on the trunk area. 

http://www.thermotec.com/products/14600-suppressor-acoustical-heat-control-mat.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PILLZG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No material spec usually means it's garbage.  I don't know and can't tell though since they hide what it is made from.  I've never seen that proven to be a good thing.

so basically peel it off and start over? lol

It's already on so finish up and give us your thoughts... lol...

Well i've noticed a difference, but I need more.  I was thinking of picking up a "better" product to do the inner panels and whatnot, but figured I would ask about this stuff first before i bought more of it.

Seems like they spend a lot of time talking about the foil, and almost nothing talking about the adhesive layer.

Which makes me wonder if it's asphalt based.

Not sure how I would be able to tell that, but couple things I noticed is that it was easy to work with and the odor was very low on it.

Dissolve a small piece in an ounce of mineral spirits.  If the liquid turns brown it's asphalt.

Alright, thanks.  I'll give that a shot.  I've also sent off an email to the company to see if they could tell me.

Received an email back from the company:

Thanks for your interest in ThermoTec High Performance Products.
Our Suppressor is comprised of a high quality aluminum composite foil backed by an adhesive that is SBS rubber-modified asphalt based

Sooo... looks like I'll be removing this stuff and starting over with a better product.  I emailed Don at SDS, but any other recommendations for an affordable sound deadener?

Received an email back from the company:

Thanks for your interest in ThermoTec High Performance Products.
Our Suppressor is comprised of a high quality aluminum composite foil backed by an adhesive that is SBS rubber-modified asphalt based

Sooo... looks like I'll be removing this stuff and starting over with a better product.  I emailed Don at SDS, but any other recommendations for an affordable sound deadener?

Edited by riored4v

triple post.  computer freaked out.

Edited by riored4v

When you buy SDS you get free advice thrown in. It's spot on as well. Consider he is the only educated and honest person selling deadener, I'd go with him.

When you buy SDS you get free advice thrown in. It's spot on as well. Consider he is the only educated and honest person selling deadener, I'd go with him.

I would have to agree 100%, but if you just can't bring yourself to spend the money with Don then RaamAudio's RaamMat BXT II isn't a bad alternative.

Hopefully I'll hear back from him since I know he's the guru on the topic.  I've emailed him once before and never heard back which was how I ultimately ended up with this stuff.  This is round 2 with my emails to him, so fingers crossed.

With the asphalt stuff, I have some on my rear deck lid for for 5x7's.  Will this stuff dry out and crack?  I guess what I'm wondering is, is how should I remove all of if that I've applied, or just remove the areas that I'm trying to sound deaden more effectively?

I would have to agree 100%, but if you just can't bring yourself to spend the money with Don then RaamAudio's RaamMat BXT II isn't a bad alternative.

While Rick is a super nice guy with a pretty good product, the money spent with Don is money well spent for his knowledge and assistance.

Hopefully I'll hear back from him since I know he's the guru on the topic.  I've emailed him once before and never heard back which was how I ultimately ended up with this stuff.  This is round 2 with my emails to him, so fingers crossed.

With the asphalt stuff, I have some on my rear deck lid for for 5x7's.  Will this stuff dry out and crack?  I guess what I'm wondering is, is how should I remove all of if that I've applied, or just remove the areas that I'm trying to sound deaden more effectively?

Don can get overwhelmed at times, if he doesn't respond in a few days shoot a follow up email to him and he'll get with you.

It's not going to hurt leaving the asphalt stuff in places that you don't intend to re-deaden.  Removing it you would be best to ask Don the most effective way to get the crap removed.   

While Rick is a super nice guy with a pretty good product, the money spent with Don is money well spent for his knowledge and assistance.

That's why I agreed 100% with Sean, but I also know how people get when they see the dollars stack up. I recommended the RaamMat so he didn't start looking at the really crappy stuff.

Thanks for the help guys.  I'll leave the Thermo-Tec stuff on my rear deck, but if its easy to peel off on the trunk area I'll probably go that route.  Otherwise, i'll put the other stuff on top of it. 

I'll wait a few more days to hear back from Don and then I'll email him again.

Have you heard back from Don yet?

Yup, heard back from him on Friday and again this morning.  Working on trying to get an order placed using his product.