Sign in to follow this  
smashedz28

Trunk advice

I've recently installed my sub stage in my 2011 Malibu. 2 sa12's on a saz1500. Box is about 4 cubes tuned low 30's.

I'm not blown away by the sound. It's clean and punchy but I'm not getting the blurred vision/nose itching bass I'm looking for. My head unit settings could probably be set a little different but my main concern is the sub orientation.

Currently I have subs/port facing rear of vehicle. Everything's bolted down which is why I haven't tried turning it just yet. With the box in the vehicle, back seats folded down and looking in.. Box squeezes in perfect top to bottom. Touches bottom and top. Sides I have maybe 6 inch slots on each side opened up to the rest of the trunk. Could this be my problem? If I fire them forward and don't seal off the trunk will it give me more of what I'm looking for? And if I face them forward and decide to seal it off will I have to fold my seats down every time I want to crank on it?

Just looking for advice or people's experiences with trunk installs. I know people say to put em forward and seal it off but I'm not sure I want to go thru the trouble or not. I plan to tear into it tomorrow and play with the hu settings and amp settings.

the side airspace is extremely low! 

Something i did to a buddy's car a while back in a scenario like this was to turn the subs firing to the driver side.

Now, his enclosure was ported to the side so we had it - subs firing driver side, port firing back..  It did great on the meter.

If your port is in the middle, i don't know what will happen.. 

We did this because the box was so large so we literally placed it right down the middle of the trunk from seats to bumper.

I'd try that if it will fit.

how far is your port from the trunk lid or any thing ....

i ask because ports like to load off of something in a trunk even an SUV.. you can lose output by having your port open ended.

I had the same issue when I switched to my 80prs. It sounds like we are experiencing the same problem. As soon as I switched my hu I was not satisfied with the bass output. The sq is amazing and it blends perfectly but when I want spl I can't seem to get it. I always have my eq flat, not a big fan of presets, but on a whim i started cycling through the presets and when I got to the super bass preset I got the output I was looking for. my clipping light didn't come on either so I have kept it this way for a while and am satisfied for the most part. I am trying to figure this out as well. 

Photo116_zps1eff82e4.jpg

I like to fire my subs and port forward with trunk sealed. I think it sounds better and less trunk rattle. Worth the extra effort IMO.

Photo197_zps21b208cb.jpg

Edited by BrutalBasser

I have the same car with subs and port forward and sealed off the trunk from the cabin, it was loud and sounded really good. I was running a lot more power than you but was well worth the effort. As a matter of fact I'm going to run that setup again, new subs, box and upping the power this time around. I have nou doubt I can break 50s.

If I do decide to seal it off and fire forward will the back seats need to put down?

If I do decide to seal it off and fire forward will the back seats need to put down?

Ideally yes, but some setups don't lose much with the seats up. It really is install dependent.

Thanks so far guys. I'm going to work with it tomorrow. Probably turn them around. Take some pics for a better visual. Jon, I would guesstimate the subs/port is maybe 12" from the back if the trunk. Handman, it could very well be this 80prs too. Damn thing has so much to adjust, ill be messing with that tomorrow also.

Might have you wired it wrong? Maybe at 2 or 4 ohms. :)

Might have you wired it wrong? Maybe at 2 or 4 ohms. :)

Highly doubt that but wont hurt to throw the DMM on it later.

Welp... Sounds worse. I lost some of my low end firing subs and port forward. Pretty mad about it lol. Not sure wtf to try next. Forward sounds like ass to me. I was adjusting shit all day and it never got any better than I had it. I didn't seal it off but I can't imagine it helping with too much more than trunk rattle? I could be wrong. Here's some pictures.

null.jpg

null-1.jpg

null-2.jpg

Nothing's really secured down at this point. Wires in a mess. What do I try next?

Maybe I'm expecting too much from these little sa12s. I can't really assume the box isn't as I was told. Before I put these 12s in here I had them in a 08 Pontiac Grand Prix and it was belting out lows. Lesser of an amp and electrical it just had a bigger trunk. Subs/port back.

What next?

Try stuffing blankets around the opening and fire it into the cabin. Sealing the trunk from the cabin.

Is that the box I did for you? Sorry it has been a while.

Sure is. Sounded real good in my buddy's car but not quite as deep in this one

Sure is. Sounded real good in my buddy's car but not quite as deep in this one

Hmmm, maybe you're just expecting too much from them in your car?? Have you messed with the gain or any other settings after swapping vehicles? 

how far is your port from the trunk lid or any thing ....  i ask because ports like to load off of something in a trunk even an SUV.. you can lose output by having your port open ended.

x2, if you don't want to change equipment I would try a new box. Most trunks do well with a side firing port and subs either rear or forward firing for daily. This should be the cheapest fix with buying new gear.

Yup. In his car we had an audiopipe ap1500 powering them on stock electric. Now I put my saz1500 to them. Extra battery. Voltage seems to be good. Definitely sounded better rear firing. Ill try blankets to seal it off but seems like ill be turning them back around soon

Yup. In his car we had an audiopipe ap1500 powering them on stock electric. Now I put my saz1500 to them. Extra battery. Voltage seems to be good. Definitely sounded better rear firing. Ill try blankets to seal it off but seems like ill be turning them back around soon

Yeah give it a try, you might be getting crazy cancellation with it not sealed.

how far is your port from the trunk lid or any thing .... i ask because ports like to load off of something in a trunk even an SUV.. you can lose output by having your port open ended.

x2, if you don't want to change equipment I would try a new box. Most trunks do well with a side firing port and subs either rear or forward firing for daily. This should be the cheapest fix with buying new gear.

I'm not against different equipment. I would like to keep the box but at this point I'm not stuck on that either.

I have some other stuff in the garage.. I'm assuming as far as equipment changing your talking about subs and enclosure not amps.

I have a 12" Treo SSX 2000rms d2, a 12" Fi Q d2. I have a few different single 12 boxes with different volumes and port/sub orientation.

Maybe a smaller box allowing more air to pass thru the trunk will be better?

how far is your port from the trunk lid or any thing .... i ask because ports like to load off of something in a trunk even an SUV.. you can lose output by having your port open ended.

I'm not against different equipment. I would like to keep the box but at this point I'm not stuck on that either.

I have some other stuff in the garage.. I'm assuming as far as equipment changing your talking about subs and enclosure not amps.

I have a 12" Treo SSX 2000rms d2, a 12" Fi Q d2. I have a few different single 12 boxes with different volumes and port/sub orientation.

Maybe a smaller box allowing more air to pass thru the trunk will be better?

Sometimes less is more. You might be better off with a smaller enclosure leaving more space to vent into the cabin.

I don't have them right now. I can't seem to find the thread where Rick built it. It's 4cuft and I think the tuning was 32hz.

I don't have them right now. I can't seem to find the thread where Rick built it. It's 4cuft and I think the tuning was 32hz.

I'll find it.