Phatillusion

Fishing

Went fishing today for a few hours, caught a blow fish the first 2 minutes I was there and then nothing after that, not even a bite. Went to a different spot this time, fished in the Indian River. Usually you can snag a big snook or a few Redfish if you're lucky, but I guess the conditions weren't right.

I haven't been out in a long time...usually go saltwater, Nag's Head or Hatteras back in NC. Most of my gear is meant for surfcasting, have a 12' rod/Penn reel combo for stripers and blues...

I have to dig the gear out and get out there.

The chitty weather has kept me indoors.

I am jealous! Bought a new reel at Cabela's on my way home from Iowa. Over winter I built myself another bass rod and needed a reel to put on it.

i'm a crappie/catfish fisherman myself. living in kansas i dont get a chance at the big salt water fish

Where you at here in Kansas??

bass/catfish here. haven't been is about 2 summers though. nice being next to the ohio and mississippi rivers, big catfish out there.

might brush up the rods and reels this year though...$13 to fish a few times a year though..lol...maybe i'm a bit to frugel.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Since you guys love pics, this might give you a hint of how often I like to toss a few lures:

10309315236.jpg

Perfect day today. Overcast and mid 80's.

I will get out there as soon as they let us go.

Since you guys love pics, this might give you a hint of how often I like to toss a few lures:

10309315236.jpg

Werd!

Although I'm not a fan of baitcasting reels...but I see a couple spinners in there.

My spinning gear is mostly in a drawer as I don't use it much anymore. I can cast further and much more accurately with a baitcaster, the spinning gear I exclusively use for live bait which is about once a year...

Oh, the really clean one in the front of the picture is the one that I built. You can tell it was built for a tall guy by the length of the butt. 844IMX 7' kicked to 7'4" sic carbide titanium guides, grade 1 cork, rubber locking fuji reelseat, Chronarch BSV reel--I can't wait for opener.

About 5 o'clock yesterday we decided to pop out for a couple hours and chase some panfish. Kept some of the crappies (between 9-11"--smaller or larger they went back) ended up with a limit for all three of us by 7:30. Fun day, at one point I went 9 fish for 10 casts all of them except one were in my 'slot'. I really can't wait for the bass/muskie season to open in a month.

Here is a pic of our bounty:

11313001395.jpg

Very nice, are they that green in the water ? We catch mainly black's around here, with an occasional white thrown in :)

Mostly yes, but hey darken a bit in the livewell. Not unlike smallmouths, which I never keep but everyone I catch I put in the well for two reasons. First they look much better in pictures as the dark stripes develop and more importantly they don't become disoriented Muskie food when you release them. I have let a couple 3+lb'ers go just to watch a Muskie chow them down about when they hit the water. Even had a Muskie take shade underneath my boat and follow me around, makes me wonder if they are just looking for a released fish as a snack...and of course, I tried to catch him but he wanted nothing to do with my artificials at such close range.

We have whites and blacks, but I really don't fish for panfish. Since our other seasons are closed though it is a way to get out on the water. Had to take my buddies boat as mine needs a new impeller and h20 pressure gauge--which I just ordered. Can't wait for the opener...

at least up there the musky weight for you to throw them back. I have spent many an early spring morning on the new river reeling in fish heads :D Anytime any of you guys are in this neck of the woods let me know. We can drag the john boat up to the new river and bang some rocks :)

Biggest I caught up here last year was 47", of course I was bass fishing with a 1/2oz rattle trap and not even using my Muskie tackle. A lot of lakes up here have a minimum keeping size of 50"+. In my book, I won't keep one unless she's a record fish.

Modified Slot limit here, can't keep anything under 32" or between 42"-49". Can only keep one musky. I don't keep much of anything except for some cat fish for freinds. :)

I'm with you, other than I guess I kept some Crappies yesterday but we pretty much munched them down right away and they were not the big ones. Caught a few in the 15inch range but they quickly went back as did the potato chips,.

I kept a blue gill earlier this year. 2.5 lbs citation ftw :D biggest blue gill I have ever caught :)

The state record is 4 lbs 2ounces, was caught by a 8 y/o at a farm pond two years ago on a donald duck rod. Betcha that was a fight :D:)