Sign in to follow this  
Garrett Tait

is my box design OK?

i had a rockford fosgate t1d415 before and ive been messing around with custom boxes for a little while. i didnt know too much about winisd back then. luckily my first box i built for it played very nice and didnt have any port noise. i tuned it around 34hz if i remember correctly. i loved how low it could get down. i played into the lower/mid 20's (i know i was playing a bit lower than the tuning freq) and loved it. this time around im going to design a box for my fi sp4 15. it should be here any day (i hope) and i'd like to be tuned low. heres my current design for it. can you guys let me know if my design is ok. i know the port is a little skinny but it looks like the port area checks out.

fisp4_zps8990911f.png

Port area is on the low side. What amp are you using and why are you tuning that low? My box for my zcon 12 was tuned to 32hz but still slammed the decaf lows! And I love the lows. Something to think about since you would lose a lot of upper bass around 40+ tuning to 28.

Anyone have a link where to DL torres? I saw one on DownSouth Bass or something and it didn't work.

Also how do you plan to have the port? If it's just a single sub then you should have the # of common port walls as 3 then.

Anyone have a link where to DL torres? I saw one on DownSouth Bass or something and it didn't work.

Type it torres box calc in google and then it should be the first link on the s m d forum

Type it torres box calc in google and then it should be the first link on the s m d forum

I try to avoid that forum at all costs but it looks like that was the winner. iFail. Thanks

ive been a little confused about the common port walls. i just assumed it was the right side and the back (being only 2).

im on a rockford t1000 (1.3-1.4k) for the time being until i beef up my electrical. hopefully ill get a crescendo 3500 on it one day.

tuned low because i fell in love with the lows after my first 15 haha. puncher bass notes dont appeal as much to me over having everything in my car flexxin when im down in those low 20's  :)

In the Torres program click on the top bar where it says help. There's a new window that comes up and says all the way at the bottom what the common port walls means and what the different numbers represent.

I would do around 85in2 of port area then.

73 inches of port area will be plenty. I don't see that sub having more than 25mm of coil over hang.

Instead of using those programs for cut sheets. I recommend doing a 3d drawing in sketchup to verify all part deminsions.

73 inches of port area will be plenty. I don't see that sub having more than 25mm of coil over hang.

Instead of using those programs for cut sheets. I recommend doing a 3d drawing in sketchup to verify all part deminsions.

yeah i just use torres to find out what a box will be tuned to. do you think my design is ok as it is?

3.3 tuned to 28 looks good.

I didn't do any calculations per the physical deminsions though.

You DO need to increase port area. Use no less than 73.

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

If you do 4cft net and tune to 30 hertz the enclosure will be about .33 ft smaller and have more output from 50 to 27 hertz.

biggest box that will fit in my trunk without having to be built inside.

why do i need to bump up the port area if im getting 13.7 per cube??

The port area per square foot rule can go fuck itself. Port area is determine by the parameters of the sub, tuning and amount of power. Has nothing to do with the size of the box.

biggest box that will fit in my trunk without having to be built inside.

why do i need to bump up the port area if im getting 13.7 per cube??

There are also threads on here that talk about port area and there are some links to some calculators to help determine the port area you need.

The port area per square foot rule can go fuck itself. 

stupid.gif