n4te0ne

dd vs. new re

which sub will get the loudest low bass, tuned around 29 - 33 hz  

15 members have voted

1. 1. which sub will get the loudest low bass, tuned around 29 - 33 hz

• DD 9515F'S
    • the new re xxx sub
    • other sub, leave your reasoning below

i have treo ssi 15s now, their the 2005 models. i get around a 143 at 30 hz now. i like disgustingly low bass at ridiculous sound levels.. but i am going to be putting a wall in my truck. i plan to use us amps, you cant change my mind on that. Anyhow feedback on subs would be greatly appreciated.

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

hmmm what did i vote for...

DD is SPL, not sub 30Hz play-fun

im actally saying toss up between the new xxx and ascendant's Havoc ;)

btw, what do you consider rediculously low? 30hz? 25? 20? 15? i like 15 on my ava 18.

DD is SPL, not sub 30Hz  play-fun

btw, what do you consider rediculously low? 30hz? 25? 20? 15? i like 15 on my ava 18.

ur chits tuned at 15hz? godttt damn thats low.

no, i mean what tones do you consider low. im tuned to 28Hz...

If you desire an exagerrated lowend, pretty much any decent driver in an EBS alignment will yield the desired results. Tune for a flat response and the transfer function will add a spike on the low end.

If you're spending that much on drivers, consider 18" moofers...

Getting to reference-level volumes down low requires moving a lot of air, period. Genelex doesn't use four 18" drivers in their coffin-sized THX rated cabinets because they look pretty :)

If you're spending that much on drivers, consider 18" moofers...

Getting to reference-level volumes down low requires moving a lot of air, period. Genelex doesn't use four 18" drivers in their coffin-sized THX rated cabinets because they look pretty :)

I agree to a point, but Genelex isn't trying to pressurize and SUV either.

but jim is right and if the new xxx is on the list, then i say get a pair of solo x 18's. build 7-8 cubes for each tuned about 25hz, throw 3-4000wrms at each one and pray your truck doesn't fall apart.

and don't think they won't sound decent, they will. xxx quality? no, but no xxx will keep up on the output end either IMO.

18's FTW!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

MAG 15"

does not need tons of power, but can take it.

MAG 15"

does not need tons of power, but can take it.

while they do indeed get low, they can't hang with the s18x...they do sound better at it though... :bigok:

18's FTW!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

If he is going for unreal airmovement the SoloX is an idea for sure.

no offense to u solobaric fans, or x's but those things sound, like garbage.. i got rid of my pbx xtremes, (black basket) to get my treo's cus the treo's sounded so much better.. square subs tend to crack in the corners. and you hear the sub alot because well.. its square.

no offense to u solobaric fans, or x's but those things sound, like garbage.. i got rid of my pbx xtremes, (black basket) to get my treo's cus the treo's sounded so much better.. square subs tend to crack in the corners. and you hear the sub alot because well.. its square.

ummm..u haven't heard a good install my friend. and squares don't crack in the corners either from my experience, but they will seperate under the cone, where the support meets the cone, under extreme power, say like 2-3x it's rms. and even then, it's a very simple fix.

solo x's have an extreme amount of potential, you just have to put them in the right enviroment. will a typical solo x install beat a treo install in sq? more then likely, no. but will a solo x drop lower then a treo? you beat your ass they will. and, a solo x can indeed be a fairly clean and accurate sub.

i've owned treo ss subs myself, i know their potential. i loved them to death, well, until i sold them to tirefryr. but to be honest, i'd run s12x's over ss 15's or even ssx, csx 15's anyday.

18's FTW!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

L7s tuned low arent bad

your right, a pair of 15" L7's would be a great choice. but even they can't hang with a solo x. though they stand a better chance then some. the added cone area is a wonderful thing.

it is amazing how low the solo's can drop..lol..even the 10's get silly down low.

18's FTW!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You'll never get a square cone to reach the maximum potential of a round cone in SQ. However down low low it doesnt make much of a difference as long as there is no mechanical noise. However a new XXX 18 would deffanitly give a solo X 18 a run for its money...a really big run for its money...if not win its money. and then you have 96mm of travle to watch :)

You'll never get a square cone to reach the maximum potential of a round cone in SQ. However down low low it doesnt make much of a difference as long as there is no mechanical noise. However a new XXX 18 would deffanitly give a solo X 18 a run for its money...a really big run for its money...if not win its money. and then you have 96mm of travle to watch :)

i beg to differ. a square cone can sound just as good, if not better then any round sub. it's all about the install. but squares get loud so easily, people forget and most don't even worry about sounding good. they throw them in big ported box and let them wang.

the new xxx 18 against the solo x 18? i'd like to see that. the added throw of the xxx would help offset the cone advantage of the s18x. it would be a fun one to play around with. and after my experience with the old skool xxx, i won't believe any hype about the new one till i hear it for myself.

teh rl-s 15 would be an awesome choice. and imagine an rl-s 18? OMG, that would be the bomb!

18's FTW!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

haha RL-s 18, I would need to wall off the explorer just to have enough air space,

where would the amps go? hehe, but that would be the epitimy (sp?) of loud and clear

MRRay: From what I read the new XXX has a different sound.

I would get a pair of AudioQue HD18's. They will be out soon. I think they're going to be like $450 each.

Edited by ImReady77

L7s tuned low arent bad

your right, a pair of 15" L7's would be a great choice. but even they can't hang with a solo x. though they stand a better chance then some. the added cone area is a wonderful thing.

it is amazing how low the solo's can drop..lol..even the 10's get silly down low.

18's FTW!!

From what I read the new XXX has a different sound.

can you expand on that??

L7s tuned low arent bad

18's FTW!!

can you expand on that??

I think one of the guys from Superior Sounds said the new XXX don't have that dry "XBL2" sound to it.

L7s tuned low arent bad

18's FTW!!

can you expand on that??

I think one of the guys from Superior Sounds said the new XXX don't have that dry "XBL2" sound to it.

thats a good thing I guess, I was never fond of that "sound", hence the reason I prefer TC Sounds drivers for sound

i thought the new XXX uses split-coil technology rather than xbl^2

L7s have won many SQ competitions, over round cones that supposedly have more "potential" according to that logic :)

DD is SPL, not sub 30Hz  play-fun

Have you HEARD an ascendant Havoc...????

Um no.

So STFU...

Also, and FYI... it's a wannabe DP ;). n00bx.

And to think I thought you had learned by now CB... tsk tsk tsk... :(

nG

PS: Also, it's 108mm of linear travel... prolly around ~120mm mechanical

Edited by ngsm13