ToXicFrOgXx

Speaker Array

Hey everybody. I went on Madisound and found some Aura 16ohm 3" full range speakers for $1. I've never done an array before but thought this would be a great opportunity to try it out. I've got two different arrays going for a surround sound. The amp Im using to power the new speakers is out of a Logitech X-530. I pulled the speaker boxes apart and took out the speakers to also use with the Aura speakers. The original speakers out of the Logitech system are 8ohm each and are wired in parallel giving a final ohm load of 4ohm. I don't know what the amp puts out in rms or anything but I've hooked up a JL 12" sub to the sub channel and it makes quite a good amount of bass on a 4ohm load. Now with the arrays I have wired them in pairs and then into quads and so on, to get a 4ohm load. When I hook them up to the amp they sound awesome but then when I starts to turn the volume up to 80-85% volume the entire channel starts to cut out. My wiring is correct, I think... I assumed the speakers do not pull power they take power and the amp would only push out what it is capable of?? I don't know what is causing the cutting out at high volume it sounds great right up to that point. Here are some pictures. Any help would be much appreciated. 

20130703_135429_zps3470a6d2.jpg

The tall tower uses only the Aura speakers. The small tower uses both the Aura and Logitech speakers.

20130703_175355_zps4a90efec.jpg

The schematic. 

20130703_163425_zps7bef9856.jpg

20130703_171219_zpsf2adfd9a.jpg

I dont know if maybe there are to many speakers but I would really like to get this figured out because I like the way it sounds. Until the cutting out starts. 

Not to discourage your design, but when you place two vertical arrays right next to each (two vertical rows) your horizontal dispersion will get severely narrow.  This will translate in to a sweet spot that is so narrow only one person will hear a stereo image in the room.

If you can, separate the vertical array.  Make it 2x as tall, or just get rid of one side.  It will sound much, much better.

Also, if Parts Express or Zaph Audio has a response curve for thosedrivers check for peaks on the top end that might need a notch filter.  Simple to make and a huge improvement if needed.  Common problem with a lot of the cheaper full ranges.

Keep it up!

Its going in my game room and will only be aimed at one person. Lol. But I will for are try a single stack versus a side by side stack. I will also look into a filter. To help the speakers perform better. Thanks for the input!! :) It doesn't explain the cut outs at high volume though... Maybe the amp is just finally giving up after all the modifications I've done to it?? I have no clue.

How do they sound?

They sound good but get a little harsh on high frequencies. But will work awesome in the setting I am using them for. :)

That amp probably isn't stable with a load under 8.

The notch would clean up the top end harshness.

If you rebuild them I'd also only use a single array and put the drivers closer together. smile.png

What does the other side of the baffle look like?

@ M5: I thought about that... Today I put together some more speakers and will try running a channel on an 8ohm load to see if that helps with the cutting out. I will also do some tests with single arrays instead of double to see how it changes the sound. Thanks!!

@ 95Honda:

20130703_112947_zps9e967719.jpg

I found a couple hole saws that fit right around the surround of each speaker and then took a round-over bit to the front side to smooth everything up. 

Edited by ToXicFrOgXx

Looks good

looks cool man!!!