Sign in to follow this  
joe79

X-Con 18 Build

So far my box is pretty much complete. I used the recommended build for the optimal ported . I adjusted a few recommendations in the build as this is my first ever. I cant wait to place in my X-Con!

So far my box is pretty much complete. I used the recommended build for the optimal ported . I adjusted a few recommendations in the build as this is my first ever. I cant wait to place in my X-Con!

Pics would be nice.

P1010771 (640x480)

P1010775 (640x480)

P1010776 (640x480)

P1010778 (640x480)

Will post more soon!

P1010779 (800x600)

P1010780 (800x600)

With finished port!

Looking good! 

Not sure how I feel about the tail rudder in the port, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing how this finishes out.

Looking good! 

Not sure how I feel about the tail rudder in the port, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing how this finishes out.

Little bit of bracing won't hurt it too much, as long as he rounds the ends to help smooth air flow. 

Appreciate the feedback. The port edges I had thought of rounding and making a seamless flow, with that comment Aaron I will probably take the initiative. detail.gif

That brace in the port will only help performance, good work!

Witch way should I face the port? I drive a Ford Explorer.

Facing me, the back or facing up?

Thanks, JW

try them all and see which gives you the best response.  That's what this hobby is all about, getting to try different things.

I understand. I have tried all three before with my 12's, in a way i liked them facing me with the port. I figured because with such a big port facing the rear wouldnt be that great of an idea.

Most SUVs I see with a similar setup normally have the sub / port aimed to the rear of the vehicle. Some With the subs up and ports to the rear ... but mostly sub(s) port(s) to the rear ...

Now I did not say that this is how I would set it up or recommend to set yours up, but it's what I see being done ...

Guess the best for you is trial and error to see what sounds best for you and your vehicle's application ...

Best of luck with your Setup Sir ... I'm tuned in, cause every X-Con I've got to hear sounds really bad ass !!!

I'm planning either a pair of X-Cons or Evils for my son's extended cab truck similar to mine ... powered by the new Linear Power LP2400 ...

Edited by Cablguy184

I aprechiate the feedback. I bet a pair would be great. That is my end goal to come , I want 2-18's. I will keep posting my updates. Thanks

Love the progress so far with the box build pics, can't wait to see install pics.  I'm sorta in the same boat as you at this point in deciding which way to aim sub/port.  But I haven't cut my hole for my sub yet so I'm still in the do I want to go sub up port back/sub back port back, sub up port up, or any other combo...

Guess I'll make up my mind when I go to cut the hole.  Best of luck and keep the pics coming.  Let us know which way works best.

Will do for sure. I have been drooling over watching videos for the past few week's. I do believe the block will know I have replaced my sub's. They have probably been saying to themselves Thank God, he got rid of those speakers.... BUT little do they know ......jon.gif

my neighbors are always surprised when they see the sub box in my vehicle, as I always have it turned down before I hit my neighborhood. Not really one to disturb those I am close to. That and there was a kid at the end of my street that (has since move out of mommy and daddy's) always had his cranked all times of day and everyone hated him/his parents. Don't really feel like replacing him as the most disliked person on the block.

Edited by nigel

I am just foolin.... I always turned mine down when I had my 12's before I got into my neighborhood. BUT, there are the times that I would have cranked up in the driveway. I have 2-15" subs for my hometheater that you can hear from down the block. I just have loud hobbies, what can I say.

two 15's for the HT is nice.  Wish I had the funds for something like that as I have a room behind my TV for electronics that I could build a box into so that they were front firing into the viewing room directly below the TV.  Down the road perhaps.

Nothing wrong with having it up some from time to time, or when tuning for a couple minutes here or there.  It's the ones that seem to do loser laps around the block at all times of day trying to look cool.  I set my gains in the driveway, and have turned it up to show a neighbor who asked to hear it a couple of times, but usually it's quiet by the time I hit my neighborhood.  Plenty of commercial/retail areas that I drive through on a regular basis that I can turn it up and not fear waking someone up or angering a whole residential neighborhood.

anyway, sorry, didn't mean to get your build thread off topic, so back to your build and pics...

Edited by nigel

Well as of today same status. I know they are taking good care into creating my Xcon. I am like a child waiting for Christmas at this point! Have been trying to come up with what to do about the box, either spray paint or cover it with something. All is going good, I will make sure that this Army post knows who SSA is. I have heard only a few systems on post. Anyway much love to the bass heads. Peace, love and chicken grease

Things are moving forward. Received update of how progress is happening in the build warehouse, sorry to hear about the lost hands for help. I really do believe

this subwoofer will blow my mind. I have never heard an SSA subwoofer in person, and now I am going to put in an 18" Xcon.lifter.gif It will be a big step up from the ol' Alpines... Still throwing my thanks out there and will post all updates when sub is fluking bumping.

P1010836 (1024x768)

P1010837 (1024x768)

No carpet, just some paint. yoji.gif

red white and blue...I dig it man.

Xcon has arrived and placed in my enclosure. Definitely impressed with the subwoofer design, what a Damn good looking sub. It's been 2 days now and what I am thinking about when I hear it, is this thing sounds soo clean. I have my port with sub facing toward the driver. I have not tested the tones to see what hrtz end I am pushing, detrippy.gif finitely on the lower end of the spectrum. The Xcon is soaking up all of my Hifonics 1600.1. I have been very impressed with this sub so far. Will add pics soon, Thanks Aaron for keeping me updated through out the build and delivery. I have a new respect for a good sounding sound system rather than something that  just is loud and dirty, this sub is loud and clean. Good job SSA.