Sign in to follow this  
wannabang

Post break-in: New sub box, same sub.

After my break in, the false floor was contorted and would be a disaster to fix.  On the plus side, this gives me a chance to redesign the box fixing the problems with the first one.  To save space, this box will be sealed.  It will be 2.3 cu.ft., ployfil-filled, and passenger side facing.  Tomorrow I plan to get the wood and cut the boards up.  My dead line is Saturday, as I move back to school on Sunday.

From the rear of the vehicle, looking into the cab.  The small box represents the battery and will be secured somehow.  The "floor" extension is to secure the box from sliding/falling.

SealedBoxPlan1_zps9bafe283.jpg

From the passenger side at floor level.  I will be returning the floor to stock.

SealedBoxPlan2_zpse4d55766.jpg

You can clearly see the bracing I'm adding to the outside of the box to make it hard to move and secure it to the floor.

SealedBoxPlan3_zps0550457f.jpg

The amp will be attached to the back and if I have time, I'll construct something to hide the wires from the battery to the amp, but the wires from the front battery will probably have to be squeezed through the stock floor.  Guess we'll see how this goes.  Any opinions?

cool!!!

Got her back!  After a week, I get back the Edge minutes before they close...  Tomorrow, I begin building!

IMG_20130812_174901_zps6ab34df9.jpg

20130812_183522_zps0bd4cfbf.jpg

hope this turns out nice for you.  Can't wait for the pics.  Wish I had money/time to go out and work on my set up, until then I live vicariously through the build log photos everyone posts.

I feel your pain.  Especially when the majority of them consist of 4+ woofers and a wall of batteries/amps. lol  I'm all like... I'm just a college student...

Got all the pieces cut out, and will be starting assembly tomorrow.  Tonight I hope to get the false floor out and get rid of all the glass.  If I have time tonight, I also wanna fix the back-up camera.  After working first shift, transporting, lifting, and cutting the wood, I'm exhausted.  I definitely over-estimated how much wood I needed.  Got two sheets, finished the whole all of it with one and a tiny bit of scrap...  Guess I'll save it for the next rebuild.

20130813_150736_zps6d13e4b9.jpg

20130813_150746_zpsf7ef0943.jpg

Stock floor, false floor pieces, new box pieces.

Got the stock floor back in, and it all should be wired up by Thursday evening.  Check out my temporary rigged batter holder...

IMG_20130813_213013_zpsf64a68b7.jpg

Edited by wannabang

I'm going to take a second to honor my grandpa.  Ever since I got into car audio, we've gotten much closer.  We share sarcasm and inside jokes and it makes me feel really good about the future.  He's been through so much in his old age, I'm just happy to stand next to him when I can.  He's survived a heart attack, three strokes, a driver's side crash that totaled his car, and has lived with tremors all his life (as I do).  He's lived to see his brother die of cancer and his mom die of natural causes.  It's been rough for him, but I'm glad for every moment he's here.  This man is my hero, and I love having such a fun, connecting hobby in common with him.  He currently does carpentry for a local church and gave up his mechanics shop a few years after I was born.

Putting the top on with him.

IMG_20130814_195158_zps8cb8e620.jpg

20130814_194712_zpsb35747d5.jpg...and everything but the baffle.

IMG_20130814_195854_zpscd4e6b8f.jpg

Got the hole cut and the sub removed from the previous box.  Just gotta drill and attach, now.  I forgot how monstrous the Icon is; I can't imagine what you guys with Xcons and bigger think when you see your sub.

IMG_20130815_111633_zps2271ef88.jpg
20130815_112657_zps082fc2de.jpg

20130815_112651_zpsebec04c5.jpg

To be finished later...

Edited by wannabang

Box is done, sanded, and ready to be plasti-dipped.  Should have it all installed tomorrow morning!  It's strange having a sealed box...

IMG_20130815_172143_zps9ac1b911.jpg

Got it all done.  No detail work.  I don't think I'll have time to carpet it before school begins for me. 

20130816_123455_zps8246e3bd.jpg

20130816_123450_zps24aaadae.jpg

20130816_123501_zpsc58d7dd6.jpg

20130816_123440_zpsf6cb4a97.jpg

I do miss it being ported, though.

Build looks awesome man! Your grandfather reminds me of my father, he has gone through a lot as well. Awesome to share the hobby with someone in the family. How does the sealed box sound? Why did you go sealed? For space?

Thanks!  Yeah, for space.  It doesn't get as loud on the low notes, and sometimes can't even reach as low as it needs to, but I'm gonna enjoy having the room, hopefully.