nigel

brought home some wood - the plans...

Well, as promised, progress is really slow. But there is progress.

Unfortunately, all the time I had today to work on this, pretty much involved sanding, sanding, and well more sanding. Then, for a couple of minutes, a first coat of putty/wood filler, so only the one pic.

DSC_0717.jpg

This is first coat of filler/putty on all screw heads, and dimples from brad nails. As well as I did the seams between boards. Doing this for the 2 sides, the top and the port facing side of the enclosure which will be facing the rear of the hatch area. The side facing the back of the back seats and the bottom I am not going to bother finishing as they won't be seen. Rear seats are always left up.

Also today worked on the piece that will have 2 bolts through it that will go through some flat stock to secure the enclosure to the vehicle. This will also be hid between the enclosure and the rear seat.

Oh, and I finally decided how I wanted to finish the enclosure, and that is I have decided to paint it, thus the need for sanding/filling/puttying... Going to be either grey (interior color of vehicle) or silver (exterior color)

Edited by nigel

well, done sanding for a little bit.  Did a first coat of primer.  Needs probably one/two more, then more sanding, before deciding on final color.  Might be a bit before then though.  We'll see.

DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

cool man

I could waste a whole day of progress letting the little ones give it a shot and have no concern....not a forum goer out there that can give you that.

Keep it up!

well, been doing a little by little here and there on this.  Lots of puttying/sanding smoothing been done.  More to go.  Picked up 2 more cans of sand-able primer today to have ready.  Also had Wyatt helping me today (my 2 year old).

Also, ran a 1/4 round over on the corners with the router today, and put another thin layer of filler on a few places.  the pics:

DSC_0727.jpg

DSC_0728.jpg

This is about when Wyatt decided he needed to go through his tackle box (he calls it "fishy box") to make sure nothing has gone missing.

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

Hopefully get the time to get it all smoothed out and a solid primer in color over the next couple of days, then I need to decide on final color.

go with same color as car or carpet in trunk..just my opinion, but ultimately you know what you like/want

no carpet in hatch area, it's all vinyl/plastic, and is greyish/charcoal mix.  Exterior is Silver.  Think I'm leaning towards silver right now, but my adhd won't let me make up my mind.  Million ideas a second flying around in my mind, and can't decide on any of them...

Port walls and braces look clean. Keep it up! popcorn2.gif

well, since my last post, after more sanding, and more puttying, followed by more sanding again... I sprayed a second coat of primer, which was subsequently followed up by more sanding, to get to today.  So I just got in from spraying a third coat of primer, and hopefully the last.  Currently airing out the garage, and waiting for this coat of primer to dry, before more sanding yet again, before deciding on and buying final color.  So on to why you all look at this thread, the pics...

DSC_0733.jpg

DSC_0732.jpg

that is sexy as hell.  that box looks great

Beautiful work Nigel....makes me wanna pull my box back out and get to smoothing....

BTW- i vote for silver with clearcoat!!

thanks for the compliments.

Leedogg: silver is the way I'm leaning to match the exterior finish, but we'll see.

Well, it's been a long while since I've updated this. Just have been too busy. Well, I still haven't picked up any color for this enclosure so it is installed in just primer. Here are some pics as it sits. Just too busy to work on it any more at the moment.

How it looks from the back:

IMG_20131122_144827.jpg

Between the box and back seat showing connection to the amp. (folded passenger side of rear seat forward to get this pic):

IMG_20131122_144807.jpg

Showing the way it is secured to the vehicle to prevent movement:

IMG_20131122_144757.jpg

Just thought I should show how it sits now. Still no videos of it in action either.

Edited by nigel