Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

fiq blow through S10 2002

a friend wants a fi q 18" in a blow through box in his S10. my thought was to build a box in the bed with a collar of linexed MDF into the cab. once i have the box built then i would build another box over it to span the distance of the bed rails and help weather proof the box in the bed. a ZX1500.1 will be his amp with a 220A mechman alt and a XS 2500 battery.

he mostly listens to chilly peppers, some techno, basically what ever pandora throws on.   to that end i think the sub might do well tuned a tad higher than 32 but what are your thoughts? 

is there anything that most people over look when building a blow through? 

Edited by ncc74656

if you plan to use acordian boot, round out your metal corner cuts cause that boot will not seal good on 90 degree cuts ...

Does he have a bed cover ?? ... and I'm thinking that a 18" driver will need to have a good bit of angle on it to fit below the bed trim line ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Extended cab or single cab?

its a single cab. my thought was to build a flange that extends into the cab and have the sub and port on the box wall maybe 3 inches before the bed hole starts. as it stands i will need to cut the bed rail out and then weld in some steel to raise the bed rail about 5 inches to accommodate the sub. the sub itself has a larger O/D than the bed rail is tall... 

basically my friend has an extra 4K that he wants to dump into a stereo. last time he had extra cash we build him a 5K dollar computer with an intel extreme and 5 SSD's in raid-0. this time round he wants a sound system that will beat mine. he even suggested buying 2 sp4's but outside of a 4th order i do not see any way to fit them in there. unless he buys a new truck...

i have never built a box like this before so its a learning experience for me as well.

why a q?  a band pass would make the most sense for a blow through. 

he is looking more for audio quality than spl performance so i figured a Q would fit better than a SP4 or BL. i thought about a band pass, figured a standard ported box for a Q would give him a wider frequency range than a band pass would. if he wanted 2 subs then that would change things i suppose.

Sign in to follow this