Lee Carter

01 'Zuk vs 18" xcon

Awesome. I need to update my build log after giving my enclosure a new look. All is looking good man, I like your progress. Keep it up.

joe79- After hearing mine for the first time tonight- you will not be disappointed.

Smashedz28- I know right...The magnet it about as big as 1 on my GS 10" woofers....then you have the reast of the sub.LOL 

UPDATE:

Man- the past couple days have been something else. 

Yesterday - Got it fit into the Zuk.  Tight fit- but it  was supposed to be.  I can honestly say I made the most of the space available.  Wired up the amp backwards in a hurry...I just wasn't thinking at all.  Went to hook up the power lead, and ofcourse it arc'ed.  I was like WTF? and realized what I done. Fixed it.  Hooking the power leads of again and where it arc'ed on the lug, the nut seized up. Tryed working it back and forth, stripped out the bolt on the lead lug....destroyed the lug working the bolt out- as I had to get on the road to work.  Once I got it out I was able to break the bolt and tape up the leads for the drive to work.  On the upside- got to work, and my SK 85.4 was sitting in my quarters waiting on me.  I ordered Distribution blocks and wire to hook it up today.  Will get it mounted on the box tomorrow.

Today- after I got off- I when to AutoZone and bought some 2 and 4 gauge 3/8" terminals, and utilized a terminal with a post.  Cut the + battery terminal off(stock and already was cracked), and found that the 1/0 terminals I had fit the factory wires perfect.  The trip to AZ was for nothing.LOL Crimped, taped, installed along with the Audio wires.  Finally. BOOM.

Took a lil ride to dial it in some....All I can say- 1 xcon 18 = DAMN!!!!  First system I ever had that you felt the pressure....not just vibration...but like it is squeezing you for being in it's space.  Not even dialed in, and it is incredible. loud and clear.  I'll never go back to mainstream subs.LOL

Now to decide what mid/highs to run. People seem to like the IA's. Thinking components for the fronts and coaxials in the rear.

Here are the pics from yesterday-  Nevermind the box- will pull it back out to cover it.  The black paint does make it 'disappear' behing my tinted windows.  Will get some installed pics tomorrow after work.

Makes the 10" GS's look pathetic.LOL

2013-09-10164853.jpg

The router depth lock failed on the round over for the port-  will clean it up next hitch home. Had to hear it, couldn't wait.

2013-09-10172614.jpg

Flush

2013-09-10172640.jpg

first time using the bolt method

2013-09-10174150.jpg

This was waiting on me in my quarters-

2013-09-11180306.jpg

Cool thing is that now I have a bass knob for my 1500.LOL

2013-09-11180428.jpg

Thats gonna go boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you like the XCON. Among the best sounds subs on the market.

pmureika - More than I was expecting! smile.png

nem - It is quite awesome.  2 of these in my Burb are going to be redonkulous.

I realized today that I have the wired to .5 ohms, and it laughed at the power from the 1500.1(gain is turned down though).  Clean and loud.  But even at sane listening levels- it sounds sooo good.

Mounted the 85.4 this morning and ran the wire for the bass control knob, Working on getting it mounted in the cubby below the deck.  Will Post more pics this evening.

I realized today that I have the wired to .5 ohms, and it laughed at the power from the 1500.1(gain is turned down though).  Clean and loud.  But even at sane listening levels- it sounds sooo good.

Mounted the 85.4 this morning and ran the wire for the bass control knob, Working on getting it mounted in the cubby below the deck.  Will Post more pics this evening.

Those are great subs for the money.

plus you dodn't have to give them full power to sound good!

Those are great subs for the money.

plus you dodn't have to give them full power to sound good!

Skip the rear speakers and just use IA comps. up front!

Okay- got the bass control hooked up.  Pics from today.

2013-09-12073029.jpg

2013-09-12073042.jpg

2013-09-12083811.jpg

2013-09-12174915.jpg

2013-09-12180142.jpg

2013-09-12180608.jpg

Skip the rear speakers and just use IA comps. up front!

Hoping to order a set tomorrow!

that build is looking pretty sick. you have to make a video and post it when your done to show the whole run down!

Crappy cell phone vid from today....

Edited by Leedogg

Nice. Looking foward to making my own vid's soon. How is the sound? Any thought of facing port foward or to rear?

Or that is the best fit for box.

Edited by joe79

I didn't do a rear facing port due to the fact that is practically right up against the rear door. But it sounds GREAT. It really likes the lower stuff...but plays up to the x-over point of 80 very well. The Skar amp is rated for ~1600 watts; You can tell I am not even stressing the woofer at all. Clean all the way to the top of my volume range. Personally I'd like to see what ~ 2200-2500 would do, to have a lil overhead. It has me rethinking my amp choices I planned for the suburban.

Made my first SSA store purchase today.  Some IA 6.5 components.  yay!

Pioneer 8500?

Pioneer DEH-65BT-  It was in the Zuk when I bought it,  Liked it so much, I bought another and put in my 'Burb.  Has good music control-EQ, X-overs, sub control, but only has 4 pre-outs(F/R or F/Sub)....Which is fine for my Zuk.

Got some more goodies last night.  Matching 4 ga power wire and distribution blocks.  Unforetunately the weather is shoddy today- so I didn't get to run the power to the 85.4.  (not that it matters- just order the speakers yesterday)  Maybe tomorrow morning we'll be slow- and I can get it done before it gets hot...

2013-09-14002755.jpg

2013-09-14003311.jpg

2013-09-14003916.jpg

Well got the power and ground ran for the 85.4.- but think I am going to do some slight adjustment to make it a little cleaner looking when I get home. Didn't ru a remote wire due to I have KNu Bassic RCA's headed to my house, and I will run a new remote wire then. Also found out today that my left rear speaker is DOA...gotta figure that out. Going to run the IA 6.5's off the 85.4 active, and the rears off the HU for rear fill, mostly so I don't have to turn it up for my kids to hear in the back seat.

I did get some more listening time today, and Drakes 'No New Friends' came on(run my 5gb of music on random from my jump drive). Holy Cow! Talk about slammed. Blurred my vision, My mirror vibrated off. I love this sub. Tirn the bass knob all the way down- and it sounds clear and light, them turm the knob up and shake the truck apart. It truly does it all well.

Oh Yeah - pics from today....

2013-09-15115252.jpg

2013-09-15115319.jpg

2013-09-15115347.jpg

Edited by Leedogg

Thanks Man-  I never put this much care into wiring/cables, but after a couple of "pro" installs, I realized how crappy my installs looked in the past.  Ofcourse I was a teen back then.  I really took a liking to packaging/aesthectics(sp).

Thanks Man-  I never put this much care into wiring/cables, but after a couple of "pro" installs, I realized how crappy my installs looked in the past.  Ofcourse I was a teen back then.  I really took a liking to packaging/aesthectics(sp).

When your young you just want it to go boom.

LMAO- How right you are.  We(me, my bro, and our best friend) had a community system back in the day(89-91).  I had 2 12" gold label kicker C12's in a truck box, and my bro had a Pyramid PB600 that we'd throw in whatever vehicle we were taking out that night.  My bro and our friend had 80's Buick Regals, and I had a F-100....that was the good ole days.LOL

still liking the progress.  Keep it coming.  When I was in my teens I was lucky enough to have my dad's help/care in installs when I first started, so keeping things neat and clean was how it was done.  That and it was dad's vehicle that we used to put systems in... So he made sure we did things right and kept it neat.

On a side note, managed to get some time today to work on my enclosure, once I have some stuff done to take pics of I will be updating my log as well.  Just don't have the time or money to be at it as frequently as I'd like.

Nice build. My dad still helps me and I'm 31 years old. Might have a little something to do with the fact he has all the tools I need to build my boxes in his shop, lol.

About the hooking the amp leads up backwards, I've done it myself. Also reamed of lugs and other stuff. So don't feel alone in that area.  

Love the build. Wanted an Xcon for a long time, but feel head over heels for the new Sundown Zv4's and X12's. Couldn't afford a Zv4, so I snagged an X12 from EMF's B-stock section.

Tuned in.

haven't done anything to it the past few days- just pounding it every now and then....my 6yo's are pretty impressed.LOL  I have my boys this week due to my ex wifes is in MI for a funeral, so been bussing them to and from school 45min one way- twice a day....no time to fool with it.

BUT- I have been it talks with Singer to have a 175 amp alt built - 3 week build time.  Also- my Incriminator Audio 6.5's are here, along with the Knu Konceptz Bassik RCA cables.

Hoping to get the mids and tweets installed and working this weekend- but the weather looks pretty shoddy.  I plan to run them active using the high pass xover in the radio, and low pass on the amp for the mids, and the high pass for the amp on the tweets.  I am going to leave the rear speakers running off the deck.

I post up some pics when I get it all in...

I know how it feels with having no time to work on things.  Kids keep you really busy.

great log Lee. As far as system beating...this setup pounds. I was able to get a taste of it and it went down nicely. I am highly impressed by system as a whole, the box, the wiring, everything. Definitely didn't cut corners.

Edited by kj4jaq

You know it Nigel.

Thanks Eric!