Lee Carter

01 'Zuk vs 18" xcon

Been a minute since I updated this. My IA 6.5 components arrived 2 weeks ago. So, Last weekend at home my son and I ran the wires into the front doors. This was a huge PITA. The factory wiring enters the cab real high- so without pulling the dash- it can’t be accessed. So we just ran it thru the opening to the kick panel cover. Once we got that done we went to install the mids, and realized the IA's are much bigger than the undersized 6.5's in the Zuks doors.ugh. Just stuck the factory speak back in for the drive to work.

Forward to today, It is a slow day here at work. So I decided to try to finish running the wires to the amp, and see what I can do with the 6.5's. Got the wires finished (except for connected them to the amp- but they are there). So I pulled the door panels, pulled the factory mids and the mounting parts. Got to looking and figure that if I flipped the factory mount and done some trimming, I might could make it work...these pics are what ensued.

Redneck
wiring- but it doesn't show any sign of being pinched.

2013-09-29135556.jpg

Factory front speaker, you can see the tweeter mounted too.

2013-09-29153622.jpg

Factory speaker bucket modified for the IA Mid

2013-09-29162029.jpg

Before and after

2013-09-29162102.jpg

without the speaker before/after

2013-09-29162442.jpg

A little blurry- phone wouldn't focus for some reason.

2013-09-29165707.jpg

Once I got to this point the door panels wouldn't fit, of course.LOL  Had to trim the excess from around the mid, and I trimmed some from the back of the door panel, but didn't get to retry due to I stripped the screws I was using to mount the bucket to the door.  Will try to work on it some more tomorrow.

Oh yeah- almost forgot-

I ordered a 175 amp alternator from Singer last Thursday.  About 2-3 week lead time, so I won't get it this hitch home- but hopefully by the next.

About the hooking the amp leads up backwards, I've done it myself. Also reamed of lugs and other stuff. So don't feel alone in that area.  

Yeah. I definitely had a fuse turn into jello because of that before.. Great job on the build though it's looking really good!

Thanks you sir.  For a 16 yr old kid to be getting it in about a year- he ought to be happy. LOL  Wish My dad woulda hooked me up like this.:)

BTW- Gave a demo to a guy yesterday before I pulled it apart.   I am flipping thru a few songs and heard this aweful banging sound.  Thought the worst- and realized I had the baby seat and some tools on the roof.LOL  Took them off.  So I throw in Jeezy's white girl, and he was liking it, then the bottom came in...shaking the wipers... He just looked at me like WTF?!?!  I had to laugh.  So we get out and he is showing me his truck.  He has a Chevy ex cab with a custom console with 2 15's AND 2 10's. Why mixed sizes I don't know...But I digress.  The subs and amp are hidden, so I don't know what kind.  He claimed to have a 1400 watt amp, and it sounded ok...hit about half as hard as mine.  He asked alot of questions about SSA.:)  Think he was impressed.

Quality over quantity!

Yay- the trimming worked!  IA's are permanently(unless I go be and sound deaden, highly likely), and the door panels are installed without further issue.  Now just to find a 2.5mm allen wrench to wire the amp. left mine in the amp box at home.  Looking forward to the drive home tomorrow(5hrs) and tuning in the new mids and tweets.

The finished product.  Before installing the door panel.  If I pull it apart to do the sound deadening- I'll use wood rings to mount them....didn't have the ability to do this at work.

2013-09-30140247.jpg

Great job! Wish I could hear it. Definitely jelly of your 16 year old, lol.

thanks Phatboi...  I finished wiring up the IA's Tuesday after work- before driving home.  Had to borrow an allen wrench from eric(kj4jaq).lol  But I ran them active using all 4 channel of the 85.4.  Made some preliminary adjustments on the amps with the gains set straight up, xover at ~ 4k.  Gave it a test listen, turned the gain up just a bit more...and there they were ... sonic heaven.LOL

I have to say- for a 120 dollar set of components they sound really good.  I worked the 5 band eq in the HU some to dial in the sound I like.  Before I had the 2 higher freqs raised a bit...now it is set a lot flatter.  Dialed the fader to the front about 4 clicks- and the rear speakers disappeared(though they are definitely playing).  The sound 'stage' is definitely higher than before.  all in all it is much improved.

Played ALOT of different music on the drive home, the system plays it all pretty well.  I have to say though, Playing stuff like tracey chapman(Fast Car), dave Matthews(Gravedigger), chris Isaac(wicked game) Sound wayyyy better, I hear details I didn't before. 

I also just  bought an Incriminator Death Row 18 D2.  Should be hear ~Tuesday.  Should be interesting to compare to the xcon.  One the lookout for another xcon 18 d1 to run in my burb.  Will post pics as soon as I get my hands on it.

I need a decent camera to get some video with.  Picked my son up from school today...and we are pounding it a bit. and Gunner say- you broke the speaker...what speaker? I asked.  turned around to see, and the Coaxial stalk and tweeter are hanging by the tinsels from the drivers side rear Pioneer speaker!!  The rears mount in the roof, so I guess they took more of a beating than they could handle.LOL

My new IA DR D2 showed up today.  Got it off ebay from a shop in MS.  Sub is BNIB.  Pulled it out for some pics.  Will be swapping it into the Zuk tomorrow and storing the Xcon D1 for the Burb Build.  Hope it at least sounds pretty close to the Xcon.  But barring something unexpected, this is the permenant sub for the Zuk...

2013-10-07171651.jpg

2013-10-07172735.jpg

2013-10-07180514.jpg

Well- went to install the IA...and it is just a scosh larger in outside diameter- and I cut my top baffle to JUST fit the Xcon. ugh.  Gonna have to figure out the solution,,,maybe I can find a rabbit bit to enlarge the outer baffle hole.  But til then- everyone likes sub comparison pics right?

pre '13 IA Death Row 18 vs SSA Xcon 18

2013-10-08162629.jpg

If you look above the DR- you can see where my tweeter dangling from my Coaxial mounted in the roof.LOL

2013-10-08162640.jpg

Death Row leads

2013-10-08162650.jpg

Xcon leads

2013-10-08162702.jpg

IA's booty shot...I like the cast in flutes on the basket...

2013-10-08162732.jpg

Xcon Booty shot

2013-10-08162750.jpg

IA Coil shot...couldn't get the Xcons due to lighting

2013-10-08162819.jpg

Well that's all I got for right now-  Singer said my alternator is on schedule.  I am working over this hitch, so I won't be off til the 20th, then back to work on the 23rd....hopefully I'll have my alt by then, and I'll get the box squared, and I'll me done.LOL  Then on to the BURB!

Nice pictures. :)

MAN!!!  I pulled the Xcon and sent it off today to it's next owner in CA.  I didn't intend to sell it- but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.LOL

So the Death row is slightly larger....bought me a palm router...enlarged the baffle hole slightly...dropped in the Incriminator.  Taking my boys back to their moms tonight, and the sub sounds pretty dang good.  Fast forward to being almost back home, and I am pounding it a bit(know better, but dang it was sounding awesome).  Get a red light and tirn it sound, and wait...whats that springy sound??  Nooooo way.  Pull to a well lit area, sub way down low- just a scratching.  a press on the cone...yep, blown, bigger than day.  First sub I ever blown.  That's what I get for not listening to the 'let them break in' warning.LOL

Not sure what I'ma do now....Recone? never done that before,  I sure did like the way it sounded though.

:( x2.

Live and learn I guess...

I never heard it change tonally, or smell funny. The cone was luke warm...but I had it turned down for about 3-4mins before feeling it.

Gonna pull it back out tomorrow....maybe order a new 1500w version- or maybe a Death Penalty...maybe have DSS recone it...Maybe a sundown Zv4....Who knows- stay tuned.LOL

Edited by Leedogg

Got an email from Singer...My Alternator shipped out yesterday!! YAY!

MAN!!! I pulled the Xcon and sent it off today to it's next owner in CA. I didn't intend to sell it- but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.LOL

So the Death row is slightly larger....bought me a palm router...enlarged the baffle hole slightly...dropped in the Incriminator. Taking my boys back to their moms tonight, and the sub sounds pretty dang good. Fast forward to being almost back home, and I am pounding it a bit(know better, but dang it was sounding awesome). Get a red light and tirn it sound, and wait...whats that springy sound?? Nooooo way. Pull to a well lit area, sub way down low- just a scratching. a press on the cone...yep, blown, bigger than day. First sub I ever blown. That's what I get for not listening to the 'let them break in' warning.LOL

Not sure what I'ma do now....Recone? never done that before, I sure did like the way it sounded though.

That's pretty odd. They use precision coils. Surprised to see then let go before getting stinky.

Check and make sure nothing is lodged in the gap beefier you yank the cone off.

Also the sub on my Facebook is a DR motor.

I have it pulled back out and boxed back up. But when I looked at it it still looked new.  Nothing 'looks' damaged.  It is only scratchy for the first bit of movement...if you depress the cone about half an inch or more- it moves without and scratching noises.  i sent IA an email last night. Depending on what they say- I'll decide what I am going to do.

Nick can help out on the recone.  Wonder about this shop you bought it from.  Good looking install.

Nick can help out on the recone.  Wonder about this shop you bought it from.  Good looking install.

It came in the IA box, it was brand new.  Unless they are really good.  I don't think that was the case. 

I think I just shoulda took it easy on it for a bit.  It was still playing- you could only hear it at low volume.  sounded like a 'loose spring'...boing boing type of sound.(Made me laugh just typing that,lol)

Thanks for the compliment on the install- first time really trying to wire neatly.

Well guys, been  minute.  The box for the 18 is in my bedroom.lol  While the IA is sent off for recone....and another xcon fell in my lap.  So hopefully it'll be here Tuesday, and I be back to bumping proper.LOL

I'll probably use the IA in my burb for a while, or sell it.

I also have my Singer alternator here.  Been here for a few weeks- haven't even opened the box.

Been fighting some health issues for a bit, so I haven't much felt like wrenching on anything...

Get well soon man.