IamDeMan

HT sub project

I figired I would share this with those that don't go to CA.

The first of many pictures to come. This is delivery day. Look at all those pretty woofs in a row. Looks intimidating already.

mini_IMG_4504.jpg

mini_IMG_4507.jpg

mini_IMG_4508.jpg

OK, here comes the head scratchin. I originally just thought I would do a 2stage manifold, but I also have enough room to do a line array above and across the screen area. I know there isn't a definitve answer on this, but is either application a safer bet generally speaking than the other? Is one design more susceptible to cancellation issues?

Here is my room.

minihouse0137lu.jpg

minihouse0125vo.jpg

Floor plan

floorplan.jpg

Sketch of proposed Line array

linearraysketch.jpg

Sketch of manifold placement.

2stagemanifold.jpg

(progress after deciding on narrow manifold with 4 drivers on each side.)

Here is a picture of the beginning of the manifold. I hate stopping midwork to take progress pix, so you will have to bare with me on no play by play detailed log. I got the meat of the manifold pounded out. It is 72" x 16.5". Tomorrow I work on cutting out the speaker baffles and bracing the inside with dowels. Next weekend I move to the attic and start pounding out the install.

Stacey_001.jpg

As promised, I got the baffles cut and bracing put in. I will probably brace the outside with 2X4 framing once it is situated on the joists. So here is where I sit for now.

Stacey_005.jpg

Woot is right. What are you going to power those with?

WTF are thoes drivers?

RF HE's?

Methinks...but methinks probably wrong.

That room is begging for room treatments :(

:woot: Lookin' cool.

Thankee

Woot is right.  What are you going to power those with?

A dayton 1000 watt plate amp mounted into the wall.
WTF are thoes drivers?

RF HEs

RF HE's?

Methinks...but methinks probably wrong.

That room is begging for room treatments :(

You'd be right on the drivers.

We just moved into this home in January and just got the pool finally done 3 weeks ago. Give my wife time to figure out what she wants to do. The house needs color on the walls too. We only did one room so far(common bathroom), because she can't make up her damn mind yet. The next room to get painted and finioshed will be the game room. I am going tiki with it and just got the bar in and no exactly how I want it :)

i seriosuly think my RE mids have a bigger moter structure...

They aren't horrible...perhaps not my first choice for HT drivers though :)

I don't think I've ever seen that many in one place ;)

i seriosuly think my RE mids have a bigger moter structure...

They may, but I don't need these to be mega watt 100 lb wonders ;) I only need them to displace many liters of air :)

Many drivers = lots of Vd = not a lot of individual displacement needed.

Also lowers distortion due to nonlinear travel.

looks like it could be fun

Update time. This update brings many changes thanks to an oversight. When I first went into the attic before starting this project I mapped out and measured where I wanted this and how I could get it there. The original manifold I made would have gone there no problem, however I never bothered to pull back the insualtion when I was measuring and planning. When I got ready to huff this monster up there I scooped away insulation from the area. It just so happens that this spot has every wire in the house intersecting there going to my OnQ panel(Lan, Alarm, romex, cable, surround sound, and something that I have no clue to) in the master closet. There wasn't enough slack to reposition them either. I wasn't rewiring 20 different wires for numerous reasons. So a revision and modification to the manifold was necessary. So that is where I am at now. A new manifold ready to go in tomorrow.

wedding0029ez.jpg

OK. It is all finished, but unfortunately I had the digicam crap out. For some reason it is making weird lines across. You will all have to be happy with pictures of progress from last weekend when I got it installed in the attic. When I get a new camera, I will post the finished pictures and the grill I made.

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

Preliminary thoughts are that this thing goes very low. Its presence is not obnoxious like most peaky sealed and ported enclosures. It blends well with the other speakers. I will need to play with it and fine tune it by figuring out the best settings for the para=eq and crossover. I put in a few select movies and tested it out. This subwoofer setup isn't heard as much as it is felt. walls shake and a heavy feeling comes across. On music it is just absolutely flat. Not one note comes across much louder than the rest. Response in change is quick due to an infinite baffles really low group delay. I will get more in depth when I can put up the finished pictures. By then I should have it dialed in all the way and tested a lot of material.

Looks good, can't wait to see the grill.

Wow that is nuts, have not see one like that before. Makes me really want to do a new HT set up, just don't have the money.

i asked mom if i could do an IB setup in my room. She says sure. I go grab the skill saw. She gives me a funny look and says "where are you going with that?" I tell her to cut a hole in my wall. She yells at me and asks if i am retarded.

Wow that is nuts, have not see one like that before.  Makes me really want to do a new HT set up, just don't have the money.

Was a lot less than some other IB nuts like ThomasW from Inifinitely baffled. At least I saved a ton on drivers. Not the best choice, but a great choice for the money.
i asked mom if i could do an IB setup in my room. She says sure. I go grab the skill saw. She gives me a funny look and says "where are you going with that?" I tell her to cut a hole in my wall. She yells at me and asks if i am retarded.

I hope you said yes. Anyone using a skil saw upside down through drywall should say yes :P A manual drywall saw gets the job done with minimal effort ;)

drywall.jpg

I hope you said yes. Anyone using a skil saw upside down through drywall should say yes :P  A manual drywall saw gets the job done with minimal effort ;)

drywall.jpg

:ehh:

2x4 > drywall saw. oh and i was going to do it into the hallway.

i still may be retarded though. :wacky:

BTW, looks awsome. I cant wait to see the grill. Your house > all. Tiki bar, IB subs, darts, and surf board lights. me want.

I may switch amps. I have tested a lot of material today and these things barely move. This amp goes into soft clip protection well before these drivers think of crying. I think I can use a bit more power. Plus I am pretty sure I will need a more robust seperate eq unit anyway. This will do for now, but I can already tell this will be a constantly improving project lol.

would love to see woffer pron of pictures falling off your walls ;)

would love to see woffer pron of pictures falling off your walls ;)

The wife unit purposely doesn't put much on the walls for this very reason ;) especially anywhere near the living room lol. When my new camera shows up, I will get some pr0n of what excursion they are doing, which honestly isn't much, but yet it still gets loud.